Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
The likes of Liew and Wilson seem to derive zero joy from watching football, but try to impose their misery on the rest of us.

Indeed they do.

I won't ask you to watch this hatchet job, what's the old adage? I watch it so you don't have to.

As you can imagine from the title and the presence of our old friend Jonathan Wilson, it's a wonderful dispassionate analysis of Pep's managerial shortcomings.

Talking of Wilson, this went under the radar on Saturday, a lovely piece of agitprop masquerading as sports journalism...

As football slips into the mire, it must remember it is first and foremost a sport

Jonathan Wilson

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/oct/22/football-must-remember-it-is-sport

Fans chant disgracefully about tragedy and find their club not merely not condemning them, but blaming the manager of the other side for having made an entirely reasonable observation about the financial advantages enjoyed by state-run clubs. That manager, on the very weekend local referees had gone on strike to highlight the abuse suffered by officials, is sent off for abusing an assistant referee. Team buses are attacked, social media becomes a battleground of the basest insults, managers who are the de facto agents of authoritarian states lecture others about touchline behaviour.....

financial fair play regulations – have proved essentially unworkable, not least because they are effectively unenforceable when clubs have such wealth they can stymie investigations with endless legal challenges.....

But football isn’t, at heart, either a business or an entertainment. It certainly shouldn’t be a tool of state propaganda.
It is a sport and, until that is remembered and prioritised, it’s hard to have any hope for the future. Or, indeed, the present.

Combined with Liew's article yesterday, our chums at the Guardian have upped the quantity if not the quality of their diatribes. The clunckiness of these desperate narratives shows they're struggling for new ways to bolt the same message to every City article they write.

It's obvious that for Liew and Wilson the sole purpose of writing any City content is the opportunity to ram home the same dogma.

Last edited:
The result of tonight's game is purely academic; at least according to the BBC's sport page -

"Manchester City have won their group but Liverpool, Chelsea and Tottenham still have work to do"

It doesn't matter. They have no idea what is coming with a global football world lapping up Haaland's, and City's, success. Who are they writing for? At some point, there will be ten times as many people following Haaland, and therefore City, as there are following Liverpool and United. But they are too short-sighted to see it. Good. They will fail spectacularly.
Whilst I’m in agreement, I think they will just jump ship when the time is right.
They’re like rats, love the one you’re with, today it’s rags and dippers, tomorrow ?

There's a lot of soft bias in the media too. Take this Mail article as an example.

It's a piece that runs through the various permutations of each Champions League group. One thing I noticed is that, when discussing the other three English team groups, they are accompanied by a picture of either Aubameyang, Kane or Firmnho.

When discussing our group, it's a picture of Jude Bellingham.

There's a lot of soft bias in the media too. Take this Mail article as an example.

It's a piece that runs through the various permutations of each Champions League group. One thing I noticed is that, when discussing the other three English team groups, they are accompanied by a picture of either Aubameyang, Kane or Firmnho.

When discussing our group, it's a picture of Jude Bellingham.
Prophetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.