Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
FIFA has form for awarding World Cups to countries that persecute gay men, 1966 for one. Anyone who objects to Quaters human rights should not be there and that includes the players. The FA should have announced we would not be taking part the moment this ridiculous corrupt decision was reached. I for one would rather we had not participated and had our usual league season. Will I be cheering England tomorrow you bet, just shows what a hypocrite I am.

It confuses me as to why these migrant workers are only at risk of unscrupulous working practice whilst building stadia. While their brethren are perfectly safe from harm, maiming or death whilst building 6 star hotels and million pound apartments for the very people who shout foul to stay in.
When they give figures of deaths, it's for all migrant workers and all causes of deaths. So if an Indian accountant has a heart attack and dies, that's a migrant worker death. In these thousands of reported deaths, many are from natural causes and many have occurred on construction projects unrelated to the World Cup.

You can certainly question the methodology of the Qataris in classifying these stadium-related deaths as being somewhat dubious but the fact that these deaths have occurred does not automatically mean that they've been a result of mistreatment, as journalists and others would have us believe. If you counted all deaths at work in the UK, regardless of the cause, the numbers would probably appear to be significant but correlation is not causation.

If you look at the situation at Twitter, where Musk is apparently giving out ultimatums about work intensity, many of the people working there who don't (or can't) resign will be migrant workers on H1B visas. Like the kafala system in the Middle East, these workers are absolutely tied to their companies and resigning effectively means the loss of their visa, and therefore their right to remain in the USA. Yet no one ever talks about that as 'slavery' or abuse of workers' rights.

Last edited:
FIFA has form for awarding World Cups to countries that persecute gay men, 1966 for one. Anyone who objects to Quaters human rights should not be there and that includes the players. The FA should have announced we would not be taking part the moment this ridiculous corrupt decision was reached. I for one would rather we had not participated and had our usual league season. Will I be cheering England tomorrow you bet, just shows what a hypocrite I am.

Correct and why they wouldn’t pull out!? Yep MONEY

They’ve all gone over there because if they didn’t they’d have no job over here for 6 weeks because once Lineker decided to go that’s it are Shearer Alex Scot and the rest going to sit in a bbc room linked to Qatar to analyse the game? Of bet they took there good clubs there trunks costume for the pool and the golf course!

Bet they’ll be all on here while they are living it up for 6 weeks!

When they give figures of deaths, it's for all migrant workers and all causes of deaths. so if an Indian accountant has a heart attack and dies, that's a migrant worker death. In these thousands of reported deaths, many are from natural causes and many have occurred on construction projects unrelated to the World Cup.

You can certainly question the methodology of the Qataris in classifying these stadium-related deaths as being somewhat dubious but the fact that these deaths have occurred does not automatically mean that they've been a result of mistreatment, as journalists and others would have us believe. If you counted all deaths at work in the UK, regardless of the cause, the numbers would probably appear to be significant but correlation is not causation.

If you look at the situation at Twitter, where Musk is apparently giving out ultimatums about work intensity, many of the people working there who don't (or can't) resign will be migrant workers on H1B visas. Like the kafala system in the Middle East, these workers are absolutely tied to their companies and resigning effectively means the loss of their visa, and therefore their right to remain in the USA. Yet no one ever talks about that as 'slavery' or abuse of workers' rights.
Spot-on. This deaths story is fake news. The 6,500 figure relates to a ten-year period and is for all deaths of all migrant workers from all causes. There are 2.7 million migrant workers in Qatar so a figure of 650 deaths a year from all causes is very small. The story started in the Guardian and has become twisted and distorted the more it has been repeated by lazy journalists who don't check the figures.

The BBC is unfit to broadcast live football which it rarely does these days. The organisation has become so politicised it is incapable of providing impartial balanced coverage. Criticism of human rights abuses in Qatar is not valid unless it mentions the broader context ie that US, British, and European companies work extensively in Qatar, especially in the construction industry. Will the BBC preface the England match against Iran with a statement about how the current regime in Iran is currently murdering thousands of its citizens (mostly female)? I doubt it and that's the problem with being selective about such issues. Where do you draw the line?

Im sure they’ll go with - pointing out that 27 per cent of children in the worlds fifth biggest economy live in poverty! Or maybe not.

Im sure they’ll go with - pointing out that 27 per cent of children in the worlds fifth biggest economy live in poverty! Or maybe not.
Or perhaps the BBC will discuss the estimated 136,000 victims of modern slavery in the UK according to official stats.

That's the problem with this sort of virtue signalling. You don't know where to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.