Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean “Prime real estate” surely…
Didn’t the remediation works on the CFA/Clayton Aniline site alone end up in the high tens of millions?
IIRC the remediation of the land cost around £60m, more than the cost of the actual development that followed. Hardly surprising that no developers would touch it for 30 years.

Yes it was a way to attack city but I’d want to know what made think of writing an article like that and say to him directly you didn’t think of it did you? You were promoted by someone wasn’t you!? Because a no mark like him coming up with that article is from the fairies!
Supposedly the main issue with "centripetal cities" is that they pull in investment but the wealth doesn't "trickle out" to neighbouring towns. But the phrase itself implies a judgment that this is not a good thing, so it’s not a neutral starting point for an academic survey.

In this case, they seem (deliberately) to ignore that ADUG have created a centripetal hub in East Manchester so the Manchester Life deals (and the interest of other developers) are partly possible because of the value that that has added to land between the stadium and the city centre. (So another developer complaining about the deal is rather like a private hospital complaining that the NHS keeps employing doctors they've trained.)

I suspect the city council will now have to pay their external auditors to test the accusation that the Manchester Life deal does not represent value for money for the council.

The language in the report is not exactly "academic" and I can't see anything remotely resembling a peer review (or even any checks by Sheffield University on its quality).

TalkSport had one of the authors of the report on and completely disagreed with the premise that the redevelopment of the area was in any way wrong. They did allow him to spout his nonsense on sports washing but even then the author sounded like he was wearing his tinfoil hat.

Was it any surprise that he was from ‘Manchester’?

I thought it was a Terry Christian recording from years ago.

Sounded like him spouting the same old nonesense.

Last edited:
Do I need to put my tin foil hat on, or has the negative press moved more towards attacking SM directly since Putin invaded Ukraine, instead of just attacking the club?

First the nonsensical negative articles about a Middle Eastern politician meeting another Middle Eastern politician because it’s his job to do so. Now complaining about the regeneration of East Manchester, which has been crying out for this sort of investment for as long as I can remember

Neither stories are negative, so why report them both in a negative light?

But there is no agenda right? Right?

I look forward to the balanced media questioning the report & the larger & longer term positive impact it will have on the city & local day & night economy

Do I need to put my tin foil hat on, or has the negative press moved more towards attacking SM directly since Putin invaded Ukraine, instead of just attacking the club?

First the nonsensical negative articles about a Middle Eastern politician meeting another Middle Eastern politician because it’s his job to do so. Now complaining about the regeneration of East Manchester, which has been crying out for this sort of investment for as long as I can remember

Neither stories are negative, so why report them both in a negative light?

But there is no agenda right? Right?

I look forward to the balanced media questioning the report & the larger & longer term positive impact it will have on the city & local day & night economy

What about those Trump supporting owners who own the rags? They haven’t invested anything in the local area in Trafford, no colleges built, no training facilities that the wider community can use? They have leveraged United with a load of debt and spend their dividends trying to keep their crumbling shopping malls in the states going, non of this going back into Greater Manchester.

Supposedly the main issue with "centripetal cities" is that they pull in investment but the wealth doesn't "trickle out" to neighbouring towns. But the phrase itself implies a judgment that this is not a good thing, so it’s not a neutral starting point for an academic survey.

In this case, they seem (deliberately) to ignore that ADUG have created a centripetal hub in East Manchester so the Manchester Life deals (and the interest of other developers) are partly possible because of the value that that has added to land between the stadium and the city centre. (So another developer complaining about the deal is rather like a private hospital complaining that the NHS keeps employing doctors they've trained.)

I suspect the city council will now have to pay their external auditors to test the accusation that the Manchester Life deal does not represent value for money for the council.

The language in the report is not exactly "academic" and I can't see anything remotely resembling a peer review (or even any checks by Sheffield University on its quality).

They also seem to have written their report from the point of view that there is a preferred option and then benchmarked the deals against that preferred option. So, in that context, the conclusions they have come up with are no surprise. To be fair, some of their conclusions make sense, as well.

Unfortunately for academics, (insofar as they exist in Sheffield), the real world is a complicated place and their have been some good posts on here which point out many factors that should also have been taken into account in their analysis.

Also, their subjective conclusions on the reputation of the UAE, and its effect on Manchester in the future, are one-sided and lacking in finesse. They should have left that to the internationally renowned (presumably) international relations faculty at the UoS.

Blinkered crackpot out.

I won't post the link to the rag, but one today has a pic on the back page, of Grealish diving into a pool, with the by line, ''Grealish Is A Diver!'' a bit of fun yeah, however at the same time ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.