Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you take the yank bollocks stats to a thread of its own, wasted ten fucking mins reading the shite
There's a 0.7% chance of that happening

CNX_CAT_Figure_02_01_008.jpg

Exactly, I’m genuinely surprised by how many don’t understand why, after goals scored, it’s the best metric to quickly see which team were the most dangerous post game. It’s far better than shots taken, shots on target or possession.

It’s not foolproof by any stretch but it’s much better than any other one after the score line.
What I find stupid (which to be clear I’m not accusing you of doing), is when people clutch at the straw of xG to almost claim that ‘really’ a given team/player is better than they actually are. E.g ‘Nunez has a high xG so that indicates he’s just been unlucky and will soon be among the goals’ etc.

Because xG doesn’t measure the likelihood of an individual player scoring a chance (or a team in a specific match), it is a metric that provides the average likelihood of any player, in any match, scoring from that position on the pitch based on literally millions of measured outcomes over many years across many leagues.

Thus a team can massively under perform their aggregate xG in a match, as we have on numerous occasions (think the Forest game).
Or alternatively, massively outperform.

As an example, Liverpool had a higher xG against Arsenal than they managed against United when they scored 7.

There’s always these outliers but it doesn’t tend to move towards the mean as the season goes on (as I’m well aware you know - I’m just stating the obvious as some may not).

xg, load of old bollocks more like.

Now has any of the usual suspects in the press said anything about City today, revealing that their piss is boiling ?

I used to listen to loads of football podcasts, but I’ve stopped most of them due to the constant bitching about our ownership and also because they are mostly made up of upper middle class twats who look down their noses at City fans, so I really just listen to the excellent 93:20. I thought I’d give the ESPNFC one a go, pleasantly surprised over the last week or so, especially today when Craig Burley went on a top class rant about Bayern’s fans. Though, I see Mark Ogden works for them so I’m sure he’ll spout shire sooner rather than later.

What I find stupid (which to be clear I’m not accusing you of doing), is when people clutch at the straw of xG to almost claim that ‘really’ a given team/player is better than they actually are. E.g ‘Nunez has a high xG so that indicates he’s just been unlucky and will soon be among the goals’ etc.
If Nunez has a high xG and low goals that proves he's a shit finisher so quite the opposite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.