Media thread 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed they are. I suspect some may even have just seen it was the guardian and a negative story with a city badge on it and just fucked it off......

Probably on the basis that they are constantly printing vindictive and I'll informed shite.
Did you see their article the other day " If you boast about your fitness then you'll unavoidably become right-wing"?
Awful, awful publication.

wonder if our friends in the media will share this….

Right near the end of the article which seems to ignore any mention of the world’s biggest Slave city….just 30 miles from Manchester.

Ignore any mention? Did you read it?

Few English football clubs feature ships or boats on their badges. Those that do have an obvious explanation: Tranmere’s warship signifies the town’s shipbuilding heritage; fishing town Grimsby has a trawler; and Plymouth’s Mayflower commemorates the Pilgrims’ ship that set sail for the new world. The football clubs of port cities directly implicated in the slave trade – Bristol, London and Liverpool – steer clear of ships as motifs in their badges (although the Bristol Rovers flag features a pirate).

Manchester and the Manchester clubs have largely been able to avoid such associations. The city is inland and was never directly implicated in the slave trade; Liverpool did its dirty work. By the time Manchester became the third-biggest port in the country, thanks to its canal, slavery was long done and dusted. Yet, when the coat of arms was devised, the city was booming off the back of enslaved labour in the US.

The ship article doesn't say a bad word about City (or United). It's not even per se critical of our city, just seeking to be truthful about its history. Get over yourselves FFS.

You might be best replying to the poster who needs to get over themselves rather than a blanket to all who may have contributed.

christ there are some sensitive people on here!! people get so wound up and outraged over fuck all!! it's just some guy thinking about where these things come from. my word. The best bit is how a massively outraged person goes on the offensive about sensitive snowflakes bringing up this that and the other, whilst they themselves getting very red faced about a simple discussion.

There is a statue of Abraham Lincoln and a square named after him as well just off Albert Square in the centre of Manchester. It was put there to commemorate the support given by the city in the abolition of the slave trade.
Also look up the cotton famine road in Lancashire. The story of its construction - a job creation scheme for mill workers from greater Manchester and Lancashire who refused to handle slave cotton - is incredibly inspiring.

Manchester should be proud of its progressive heritage that goes back hundreds of years.

christ there are some sensitive people on here!! people get so wound up and outraged over fuck all!! it's just some guy thinking about where these things come from. my word. The best bit is how a massively outraged person goes on the offensive about sensitive snowflakes bringing up this that and the other, whilst they themselves getting very red faced about a simple discussion.
Here is the last time (before your post) that anyone used the word 'snowflakes' in this thread
Should get that going again, it'll give the snowflakes another song to moan about

It was some time ago, but I'm assuming this is what you are referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.