Mehdi Benatia

feelymcfeel said:
CityStu said:
I wouldn't mind giving them Nastasic in return. He looked out of place throughout last season and never seemed to get the grip of Pellegrini's more front foot defending. I do think that he's worth more than what Roma are proposing though - €25m and Nastasic would be fairer IMO. I also think that Nastasic will excel in Italy. He was superb under Mancini and will be back playing that style of football in Serie A.

The benefit of giving Nastasic away comes outside this deal. Only paying €25m or so in cash for Benatia would give us €20m + whatever we get for Yaya if he's leaving, which seems more and more likely. That extra money could make us challenge for a Pogba or Vidal.

How did he look out of place? He was injured for most of the season.

He was, but when he did play he didn't look nearly as assured as he did in the previous season IMO. More mistakes (including some costly ones) and he didn't seem nearly as comfortable without the time on the ball that Mancini's system offered.

Just my personal opinion of course, but I don't currently think he's the best fit for us and I was a big fan of his during his first season.

LoveCity said:
MCFCUSA said:
As being a fan of both clubs, I feel that this offer is fair for both teams... City get one of the best centerbacks in the world in benatia to accompany Kompany (no pun inteneded) in what is now a win now phase for City, while having Rekik and Boyata for the future.

Boyata has no future except fulflilling a quota until someone can replace him.

Imagine this:

We buy Benatia
We sell Nastasic
We keep the raw and inexperienced Rekik (who would benefit more going to Marseille on loan)

The season starts and things are OK. But then January comes and City not only have a bunch of tough league games, but the League Cup semi final (2 legs) and FA Cup.

Benatia goes to AFCON, leaving City with Kompany, Demichelis, Rekik and a couple of stand-ins (Sagna, Boyata) to face massive fixture congestion. No thanks...

45707016.jpg

Still think we will get Mangala. A I predict a week on Monday (Germany will beat France on Friday).

CityStu said:
feelymcfeel said:
CityStu said:
I wouldn't mind giving them Nastasic in return. He looked out of place throughout last season and never seemed to get the grip of Pellegrini's more front foot defending. I do think that he's worth more than what Roma are proposing though - €25m and Nastasic would be fairer IMO. I also think that Nastasic will excel in Italy. He was superb under Mancini and will be back playing that style of football in Serie A.

The benefit of giving Nastasic away comes outside this deal. Only paying €25m or so in cash for Benatia would give us €20m + whatever we get for Yaya if he's leaving, which seems more and more likely. That extra money could make us challenge for a Pogba or Vidal.

He was, but when he did play he didn't look nearly as assured as he did in the previous season IMO. More mistakes (including some costly ones) and he didn't seem nearly as comfortable without the time on the ball that Mancini's system offered.

Just my personal opinion of course, but I don't currently think he's the best fit for us and I was a big fan of his during his first season.

The thing about Nastasic is that he has great potential but needs time to read the game that makes up for his lack of pace. HE will be immense in a deeper, slightly defensive system. That's why he gets exposed in our high line.

A lot of people say that they don't agree that Nastasic can't play the high line. I think he can, and with time he may be great at it like Demicheles is but the thing is that you have to have a faster partner. That's where the problem comes IMO. Kompany injured and we are down to 2 slow defenders. Its the reason why we might consider Nastasic expendable.

I like him really, given time and/or the correct system he may well be a top 5 defender in the world.

One way or another the Benatia business should come to a head in the next 4/5 days.

As I said on here 3 months ago, this player is very special.

Maximum we should pay is €45m

Tez Tosterone said:
One way or another the Benatia business should come to a head in the next 4/5 days.

As I said on here 3 months ago, this player is very special.

Maximum we should pay is €45m

That is still very expensive for a defender with no Champions League or even World Cup experience.

I prefer spending the money on Benatia over Mangala though, he looks a promising player but for me it is just too much for what is potential in my opinion.

bluechampion7891 said:
CityStu said:
feelymcfeel said:

The thing about Nastasic is that he has great potential but needs time to read the game that makes up for his lack of pace. HE will be immense in a deeper, slightly defensive system. That's why he gets exposed in our high line.

A lot of people say that they don't agree that Nastasic can't play the high line. I think he can, and with time he may be great at it like Demicheles is but the thing is that you have to have a faster partner. That's where the problem comes IMO. Kompany injured and we are down to 2 slow defenders. Its the reason why we might consider Nastasic expendable.

I like him really, given time and/or the correct system he may well be a top 5 defender in the world.
You keep saying Nastasic is slow

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxnfKoOWmWE[/video]

pudge & rodge said:
bluechampion7891 said:
CityStu said:

You keep saying Nastasic is slow

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxnfKoOWmWE[/video]

Well he is...we need Kompany quick...look all high line systems are exposed when you have 2 slow CBs...Barca and Barca without Puyol

I would have loved to have Nastasic here along with Kompany and a quick defender/benatia but I don't think he will get much game time. Lets see how this develops...as long as we have a better squad next season and are fighting well on all 4 fronts

bluechampion7891 said:
CityStu said:
feelymcfeel said:

Potential top 5 in the world defender--------- -- I agree he is expendable.

NorthEastScotlandMCFC said:
1032191_Manchester_City.jpg

Is this what we could be looking at next season?

That's how I would like to see us set up in the Champions League and for me that team could go all the way with the correct winning mentality.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.