Mehdi Benatia

Blue Haze said:
Davs 19 said:
Blue Haze said:
That would be an unbelievable debacle.

And how many teams in the Prem had a better defensive record ?

We're focusing on European success next season.

Even still, there's much room for improvement in our defence. We probably couldn't score many more goals, but if Mangala/Benatia leads to even 7/8 less league goals conceded that's a huge improvement and combined with our goal scoring would almost certainly guarantee us the title.

Come on City get these transfers moving, let get them signed sealed and delivered, before some other club jumps in

adrianr said:
Blue Haze said:
Davs 19 said:
And how many teams in the Prem had a better defensive record ?

We're focusing on European success next season.

Even still, there's much room for improvement in our defence. We probably couldn't score many more goals, but if Mangala/Benatia leads to even 7/8 less league goals conceded that's a huge improvement and combined with our goal scoring would almost certainly guarantee us the title.

I agree.

What was it this season, 37 goals conceeded in the league?

If we can score around 90-100 goals again but conceed 27 instead of 37 then that should see us win the league in my opinion, or at the very least come a tight second.

In Europe it's fine margains, we need to be conceeding just the one goal and not the regular 2 or even 3 in the bigger ties, even better we need to be keeping clean sheets.

FantasyIreland said:
Bottomless_Sailor said:
Apparently the Mangala/Fernando deal is on the home straight so I'd be very surprised if we have money to burn on Benatia after that with regards to FFP, unless we're planning major sales.

You suggested similar yesterday,how solid is your info?
As wet dog sh!t like any whisper. I trust it though.

I don't read too much into this Atletico stuff, Jorge Mendes probably just feels the need to make his client's position seem a little stronger considering it's only really a one-horse race for Mangala.

Yates said:
Barca bound, they never miss out on their man.

I don't know mate, I have my doubts.

Pique isnt going to be benched and could end up being captain and they haven't just bought Marquinhos to sit on the bench because Benatia is for sure too good to be on the bench.

Yates said:
Barca bound, they never miss out on their man.

They missed out on Thiago Silva, Ronaldo and Kaka (the last two confirmed by former president Laporta).

And it's not even confirmed yet they want Benatia after signing Marquinhos. Maybe they do, but we'll see... they need reinforcements in other areas like midfield and up front.

Someone suggested they will play Marquinhos at right-back. I'm not sure and haven't seen that suggestion anywhere else, but I would have thought they'd want an attacking right-back like Cuadrado to replace Alves. If they play Marquinhos in his proper position they have Pique, Marquinhos and Bartra which is a good set of CBs (+ Mascherano if he stays) and Benatia might not be needed.

From ESPNFC.com
Benatia's talk of 'dreams' disrespectful to Roma
Posted by Julian De Martinis

Earlier this week, Roma’s general manager Mauro Baldissoni stated that the club “has no plans to sell our best players.” Rudi Garcia echoed that sentiment days later, stating that, “This summer we are not in a position where we need to sell,” intimating that the departures of Erik Lamela, Marquinhos and Pablo Osvaldo were motivated by the need of the club to gain capital without entry into Europe.

The Roma coach added that Mehdi Benatia has another four years on his contract and no release clause, stating that the centre-back will be at the club next season. With Roma directly qualifying for the Champions League group stage, and finishing second in Serie A this season, it would seem that there is less of a need to raise cash, and the club can promise trophy ambitions to both current and any incoming players.

And then Benatia spoke to the media while on international duty.

"I had spoken to the club executives regarding an improved contract, but they weren't interested, and I don't think it will be successful," he said. "I'm happy at Roma, but at 27, I need to reflect regarding the big offers of clubs that any player dreams of: Barcelona, Bayern, Manchester City. The offers? My agent is dealing with those, but we are talking about it, and we will know a little bit more in the near future."

In little more than three sentences, Mehdi Benatia did much damage. Perhaps on the surface, what he said is not really controversial. At 27, he is near the age generally considered to be where most footballers peak, and few would doubt that Roma lack the history of Barcelona and Bayern Munich, and what Manchester City lack in that regard, they make up for in cash.

Benatia is not just any player, however, but a massively important one to Roma. It’s incredibly difficult not to take these words to be an enormous insult to a club that just had their most successful season in history. His words inadvertently imply that Roma are not a "big" club.

Those other three clubs are competing for Champions League honours and have won trophies in recent years -- feats that Roma cannot yet match. But how can any club of such ilk compete with the world's biggest if players such as Benatia leave after a single season of strong performances?

The fact is, Benatia and Roma became great together. Last year, neither achieved these heights, with the Moroccan considered a good defender in the league but known more for his injuries than for being world class.

How must these words sound to Daniele De Rossi and Francesco Totti? Both players spurned countless offers to stay at Roma. It is almost disgusting that Benatia could say what he did a season after coming to the club, becoming third-choice captain ahead of players such as Miralem Pjanic and Leandro Castan, and wearing the armband that has belonged to two players who've become symbols of the club.

If these words were said without discussing a potential transfer with the board, Benatia has just undermined the work that Walter Sabatini would have to do to sell him.

If the issue is over his proposed wages, as has been rumoured since the statement came out, it seems difficult to believe that Roma were not willing to raise his salary to a figure that falls in line with the club’s structure. Few defenders in the league earn more than 2.5 million euros annually, the wages of Juventus' Giorgio Chiellini, according to Gazzetta Dello Sport, and those who do perhaps shouldn't -- Philippe Mexes comes to mind. Rumoured to be on 1.25 million euros now, Benatia certainly deserves a raise, but if it’s an astounding one that he desires -- the rumor is 4 million euros a year -- it will certainly have to be outside of Roma.

There is not fault to be found in a player wanting to leave the club. Benatia, however, seems to forget a particular motto of the club that roughly translates to, "Roma is not to be discussed, but to be loved." By talking of “big” clubs and “dreams” elsewhere, he has created a massive headache for the club and insulted the institution along the way.

No matter what the outcome, Benatia should never wear the armband for Roma again.

Blue Haze said:
adrianr said:
Blimey, surely can't be heading for another summer not sorting centre back?

That would be an unbelievable debacle.

We should have plenty of cash even after Fernando. No excuses this year.

Maybe we're actually in for both Benatia and Mangala :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.