Mehdi Benatia

Benatia approximates City

Disappointed not to have been increased by the Roma, Mehdi Benatia would be close to an agreement with Manchester City. A substantial offer could convince the Italian club to drop his defender.

As revealed in Team 17 May, Manchester City would always be the best placed club to recruit Mehdi Benatia (27 years), central defender AS Roma (under contract until June 2018). While some elements remain to be an agreement between the two parties would be close to being found. Joint Wednesday night, agent Moroccan international has however refused to confirm the information. While Chelsea also tried to accelerate earlier this week discussions around the player formed OM Roma refuse to consider, for the moment, the departure of one of its executives even if an offer consequent could change its position.

So, Benatia's agent is encouraging us and we know what personal terms he wants and are willing to meet them, but no closer really to an agreement with Roma.
I think Garcia might be a good makeweight here, as much as I'd like to keep him, the non-homegrown spots are going to be filled by more important players.

Having not seen much Italian football since it disappeared of channel 4 a few years ago, what sort of player is Benatia? Its obviously going to be a big fee were going to pay so just wondering what type of player we will be getting.

I ask because I have seen a bit of Mangala and never been overly impressed. Looks like another CB with mistakes in him who just loves charging forward with the ball. Is Benatia a cert partner for Vinnie of we sign him?

[*]
dctid said:
he will be a decent player no doubt its making the step to the EPL that will tell us how good he is

However Serie A has always been a league that produces top defenders so if this is whom the club wants and can do a decent job then more than happy although Roma will try and take us to the cleaners
Savic

willipp said:
Having not seen much Italian football since it disappeared of channel 4 a few years ago, what sort of player is Benatia? Its obviously going to be a big fee were going to pay so just wondering what type of player we will be getting.

I ask because I have seen a bit of Mangala and never been overly impressed. Looks like another CB with mistakes in him who just loves charging forward with the ball. Is Benatia a cert partner for Vinnie of we sign him?
Benatia is quick, athletic and strong, he'll need a bit of bedding in time with Vinny as they both like to be the aggressive decisive centre half but once that is done they'll be formidable playing in a high line together, he's very composed as well although his long passing isn't as good as VK's when he does get the space.

aguero93:20 said:
willipp said:

Benatia is quick, athletic and strong, he'll need a bit of bedding in time with Vinny as they both like to be the aggressive decisive centre half but once that is done they'll be formidable playing in a high line together, he's very composed as well although his long passing isn't as good as VK's when he does get the space.

Brilliant thanks. Pace is definitely something we need, if those two formed a class partnership we would be extremely difficult to beat next season.

Will have been mentioned but is he another player we are going to lose for 4-6 weeks for the AFCON?

I know we have adequate cover with DeMichelis but if VK and Benatia were to form a formidable partnership he would be a big loss

If Yaya was to stay, would he be another to dissapear or do we think he is going to retire from International football?

Would be grim to lose them both especially in such important positions

He would be, He's French born with a Moroccan father and Algerian mother. He opted to play for Morocco. A couple of years ago, I'd have said Yaya will probably retire from international football, but now I doubt he ever will.

chris85mcfc said:
Will have been mentioned but is he another player we are going to lose for 4-6 weeks for the AFCON?

I know we have adequate cover with DeMichelis but if VK and Benatia were to form a formidable partnership he would be a big loss

If Yaya was to stay, would he be another to dissapear or do we think he is going to retire from International football?

Would be grim to lose them both especially in such important positions
Yaya has spoken of retiring from internationals after the world cup so if he stays there's hope he won't go but Benatia is Morocco's best cb so yes we'd lose him, should be alright with MDM and Nasty though, I think it's more important to get to a place where we have the quality to rotate properly throughout December because the problems been fatigue as much as losing players at that time of year. Adherence to a particular style (MP's system) and decent squad depth should mean we're less reliant on individuals than we have been in the past, started to see signs of that with Nasri, Silva, Yaya, Kun and Vinny missing games last season, we still kept winning.

Bruun said:
25m £ for a 27 year old, or 35m £ for a 22 year old with bags of potential.
The thing is, we have two young lads with bags of potential already in Rekik and Nastasic. I've watched Mangala four times this season and thought he was good in one, okay in two and absolutely shit in the biggest game of them all.

I've watched Benatia about a dozen times and thought he was good every time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.