Mehdi Benatia

I must be missing something?

Every tackle he makes, every position he takes up, in most of the videos I have now watched, he always takes the right hand channel that Kompany already occupies?

He leads with his right foot, so does he address the fundamental problem of a left-sided partner?

Chelsea must have seriously blown us out of the water on Mangala is this is now going ahead.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Chelsea must have seriously blown us out of the water on Mangala is this is now going ahead.

The Mangala/Mendes/third party ownership issue makes that transfer more expensive than it needs be. Also he's incredibly young and ultimately if he doesn't hit the ground running it'll be a fucking disaster for the price he'll end up costing. Benatia has the experience and is of an age where you suspect his in game intelligence will be miles ahead of Mangala's.

I've also wondered for a while why we were after him when he's a left footer and we have Nastasic and Rekik.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

Every tackle he makes, every position he takes up, in most of the videos I have now watched, he always takes the right hand channel that Kompany already occupies?

He leads with his right foot, so does he address the fundamental problem of a left-sided partner?

Perhaps he is going to play on the right side, and VK will move over to the left?

Surely VK is good enough to play in either of those positions

From what ive seen of Mangala i really don't rate him as highly as £40 million

tolmie's hairdoo said:

he looks two footed to me, what about his age?

chris85mcfc said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Perhaps he is going to play on the right side, and VK will move over to the left?

Vinny is shocking playing on the left. Looks a carthorse, gets dragged out and then concedes a foul trying to get back in.

So is Benatia a right-footed player who is just equally adept playing on the left?

If that is the case, then fine.

At least he can shift across when Vinny is injured or suspended.

We also have Demichelis who can do this.

I remember watching Lescott and Nastasic both together against Villa in the Carling Cup.

A prime example that decent central defenders find it very difficult to move a couple of yards across from their comfort zone.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

ive never been a fan of mangala mate. I know hes young but he seems really floppy to me, if you know what I mean. he reminds me of sakho at Liverpool.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
chris85mcfc said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

Vinny is shocking playing on the left. Looks a carthorse, gets dragged out and then concedes a foul trying to get back in.

So is Benatia a right-footed player who is just equally adept playing on the left?

If that is the case, then fine.

At least he can shift across when Vinny is injured or suspended.

We also have Demichelis who can do this.

I remember watching Lescott and Nastasic both together against Villa in the Carling Cup.

A prime example that decent central defenders find it very difficult to move a couple of yards across from their comfort zone.

There are plenty of examples of two right footed centre halves playing alongside each other, in fact id say most pairings are both right footed

Pepe/Ramos
Hummels/Subotic
Rio/Vidic
Cahill/Terry
Miranda/Godin

I think Mancini started the ethos of wanting a right and left footed centre half but MDM proved last year that its fine to have 2 right footed centre backs

Lescott was poor enough on his left side never mind his right :)

mcfc2607 said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

ive never been a fan of mangala mate. I know hes young but he seems really floppy to me, if you know what I mean. he reminds me of sakho at Liverpool.

Don't have an issue with changing targets, opinions.

My issue is that nobody seems to be able to tell me definitively that he is a left-sided centre back.

He is clearly not based on the majority of videos out there.

We have fallen foul before of trying to put square pegs in round holes.

If there is one league where a defensive player could be exposed for such, it is this one.

I don't rate Italian football in the slightest. I used to, but not anymore.

Benatia is very strong on both sides. Naturally right, but strong on his left.

He will have been scouted much closer than I've ever watched him so I don't think this is an issue worth people worrying about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.