Mehdi Benatia

I think a lot of people overlook just how important it is for CB's to play on their prefered side of defence. It has nothing to do with how good you are with each foot either, it has everything to do with which side you are used to playing. So much of defending is about positioning, manipulating where you let the striker go and getting yourself in the right shape to make the tackle, and these things are massively different depending on which side you play on. There are plenty of examples of right footed players playing well as LCB's, but I can't think of too many examples of players who are equally adept at either position.

As far as I can tell, Benatia has played his entire career as either a RCB, or as the right hand sde of a back 3 for Udinese, so to me it seems a real gamble to just expect him to turn up and play in a new position, in a new team, in a very different league. It seems like a huge transition and he is going to have to be pretty special to manage it

NipHolmes said:
Benatia is a player I've raved about all season. He's incredible. He's more consistent than Kompany imho.

He can play LCB because of his quality imo but yes he's a RCB in every game I've watched of Roma. Only problem I forsee is Barca, he is made for them and Pique can play LCB where he used to play before moving over to accommodate Mascherano when Puyols injuries kept him out.

If you are saying this lad is the real deal, that's good enough for me.

You have a decent eye for a player.

But if you're wrong, in the smelter you will go;)

tolmie's hairdoo said:
pavelsrnicek said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Vinny is shocking playing on the left. Looks a carthorse, gets dragged out and then concedes a foul trying to get back in.

So is Benatia a right-footed player who is just equally adept playing on the left?

If that is the case, then fine.

At least he can shift across when Vinny is injured or suspended.

We also have Demichelis who can do this.

I remember watching Lescott and Nastasic both together against Villa in the Carling Cup.

A prime example that decent central defenders find it very difficult to move a couple of yards across from their comfort zone.

Are we definitely abandoning pursuit of Mangala for Benatia? Or is this Txiki covering all bases?
As an aside I'm not sure if Vinny is that shocking on the left, think he had a stormer against Bayern in pre season.

In pre season.

Bloody hell, even Richards looked like he could play football in that game.

There are definitely games being played. City had agreed a price with Porto for Mangala.

Perhaps City are doing this to give him a push, although I doubt it.

We are moving quick on Benatia.

I think if both were going at the same price you would probably opt for Mangala due to his age and his potential

But are we really in a position to wait for a player to progress? Can we afford a top class performance one week, and then punished mistakes the next

Thats what I have seen when ive seen Mangala, one week he looks in the class of Kompany, the next week he is more Sakho

I think we need proven quality now, not inconsistency. You can't lay into Italian football when Mangala plays in Portugal

tolmie's hairdoo said:
pavelsrnicek said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Vinny is shocking playing on the left. Looks a carthorse, gets dragged out and then concedes a foul trying to get back in.

So is Benatia a right-footed player who is just equally adept playing on the left?

I remember watching Lescott and Nastasic both together against Villa in the Carling Cup.

A prime example that decent central defenders find it very difficult to move a couple of yards across from their comfort zone.

Are we definitely abandoning pursuit of Mangala for Benatia? Or is this Txiki covering all bases?
As an aside I'm not sure if Vinny is that shocking on the left, think he had a stormer against Bayern in pre season.

In pre season.

There are definitely games being played. City had agreed a price with Porto for Mangala.

City had agreed a price with Porto for Mangala.

So...Mangala not signed with City ? He doesn't want ?

BlueDejong said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
pavelsrnicek said:

In pre season.

Sounds like he prefers Chelsea

BigOscar said:
I think a lot of people overlook just how important it is for CB's to play on their prefered side of defence. It has nothing to do with how good you are with each foot either, it has everything to do with which side you are used to playing. So much of defending is about positioning, manipulating where you let the striker go and getting yourself in the right shape to make the tackle, and these things are massively different depending on which side you play on. There are plenty of examples of right footed players playing well as LCB's, but I can't think of too many examples of players who are equally adept at either position.

As far as I can tell, Benatia has played his entire career as either a RCB, or as the right hand sde of a back 3 for Udinese, so to me it seems a real gamble to just expect him to turn up and play in a new position, in a new team, in a very different league. It seems like a huge transition and he is going to have to be pretty special to manage it

All I was trying to say^^^

Not doubting those who say he is quality, but for the money, we need a master, not a jack of all trades?

BlueDejong said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
pavelsrnicek said:

In pre season.

That's what I am asking, mate.

Him and Fernando were a boxed set.

Don't worry, though, Fernando has been pushing for his City deal since December.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
pavelsrnicek said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

In pre season.

I think Boyata played in that one partnering Vinny which makes his stormer all the more impressive. ;)

For some reason I don't think the Mangala deal is dead yet. Otherwise we should see confirmation on Fernando deal

People may think i'm mad but i'd rather have Vertonghen for £18mill

He'd slot straight in on the left side, Prem proven, Belgium partnership, loves getting forward when opportunity arises, good at set pieces, can cover left back if required, what's not to like?

Before anyone says it, i'm not his agent, i just think he'd be a good fit

tolmie's hairdoo said:
BigOscar said:

All I was trying to say^^^

Not doubting those who say he is quality, but for the money, we need a master, not a jack of all trades?

Makes you realise how good MDM actually is

Germany - Spain - England

Took him a few months to settle in but he showed it can be done

Fingers crossed this lad is the real deal. i guess any signing is a bit of a gamble before you see him out there in the flesh

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.