Mehdi Benatia

LoveCity said:
Why sell Nastasic when Demichelis will probably leave in a year's time when his contract expires?

Nastasic is a baby for a defender and could be the best in the world by the time he's 25 for all we know.

Benatia aged 21 = French minnows Clermont
Mangala aged 21 = Porto's 4th choice defender
Thiago Silva aged 21 = unable to get a game at Dynamo Moscow

Yeah good point mate.

What do you rate our chances of getting Benatia, or do you see Mangala more likley?

sam-caddick said:
LoveCity said:
Why sell Nastasic when Demichelis will probably leave in a year's time when his contract expires?

Nastasic is a baby for a defender and could be the best in the world by the time he's 25 for all we know.

Yeah good point mate.

What do you rate our chances of getting Benatia, or do you see Mangala more likley?

I have no idea to be honest, but I would have thought Mangala is still the #1 target since a lot of journalists have said a double deal is close.

Maybe FFP will push us to look at the (slightly) cheaper Benatia or maybe something is happening with Mangala we don't know about.

Benatia would give us maybe 4 to 6 seasons. Mangala would give us 9 to 10. Benatia is less raw and looks ready to play at a very high level, while Mangala is raw but seems to have unlimited upside.

Also, I still think Nastasic can be great (he looked sharp today despite not playing for months), plus Denayer and Rekik show promise. Young players can be coached so hopefully Nasty can be made to adjust to the high line.

So signing a 27-year-old defender may not be short-sighted even if it does mean another who would be aging at a similar time to our many players in the 27-30 bracket.

sam-caddick said:
LoveCity said:

Yeah good point mate.

Benatia has played against the likes of Juve and has held his own, Mangala on the other hand looked terrible against Sevilla. Can't judge a player by a single game but looking at Benatia's stats (interceptions, blocks,tackles, aerial challenges not to mention his perfect defensive positioning) i would rather take him over Mangala. Roma are interested in some of our players so there's a possibility of a swap deal which would reduce the cost of acquiring Benatia's services , Porto on the other hand are looking for an outright player sale and would probably try to force us into a bidding war with the likes of PSG and Monaco. Mangala reminds me of Sakho or Mbiwa , Both players where touted as defensive beasts by the media (probably because of their rash and aggressive style of play or maybe their rugged looks ) but ended up getting exposed in the PL .

LoveCity said:

Bingo.

Hate to bring them up, but the rags carried 5 central defenders on their roster. 3 of them young.

I'd be pretty annoyed if we sold Nastasic, he's young and has shown he has ability, he looked decent today although against not so great opposition. We're in a hole now after Demichelis turning things around as we've been scouting top defenders yet we still have Nastasic and Rekik waiting to be given a chance.

Blue Haze said:
LoveCity said:

Bingo.

Hate to bring them up, but the rags carried 5 central defenders on their roster. 3 of them young.

Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, Smalling and Phil the face? Evans is 26, hardly young.

Benatia is a player in his prime and I really hope we sign him, there are too many false rumours about who we supposedly bagged already

My slight doubt of Benatia is his lack of Champions League experience.

Benatia and Kompany would be an insanely good partnership and would tide us over until Rekik and Nastasic come of age. £16mil is a bargain if true.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.