Melbourne City FC Thread

Re: Melbourne Heart FC Thread

So the FA allowed Cardiff to change their colours to red... even though the PL has a fair few teams who play in red already, yet the Aussies aren't going to let Melbourne change... why?

Bit of a feck up to be honest. Still, for now they can play in blue and white for the second strip for now.

The colour change went to arbitration and the head of football in Australia;David Gallop put his two bobs worth.
Sydney FC,have a lot of clout despite massively underachieving and being overtaken by Western Sydney Wanderers;unfortunately the A league and it's small time mentality is digging it's heels in over this ,don't expect resolution any time soon.

Ridiculous thing is that the FFA allow West Sydney to wear red and white stripes (horizontal) which is the same colours as Heart's home kit.

All sports in Australia are very Sydney-centric though.

dario2739 said:
So the FA allowed Cardiff to change their colours to red... even though the PL has a fair few teams who play in red already, yet the Aussies aren't going to let Melbourne change... why?

Because Australia has a grand total of 10 teams of any signficance, total. The A-League is a closed shop, and unlike the MLS they have no intention of expanding it, and the next step down is such a vast drop it's the equivalent of the Conference North being made the second tier of English football. The league therefore wants each of its ten clubs to look completely different to each other.

moomba said:
Ridiculous thing is that the FFA allow West Sydney to wear red and white stripes (horizontal) which is the same colours as Heart's home kit.

Red and white hoops looks different to bars though, and besides, it's their away kit. There still seems to be a suggestion that Heart can use blue for their away. They just don't want to.

I have to admit that I'm getting a little concerned about the future of the CFG. It's definitely turning into a bit of a nightmare for City. I have no doubt that they'll stick to their guns and keep pressing on, but there's been a catalogue of problems now that must surely be making Khaldoon and Soriano wonder if the CFG network is worth it anymore:

- Mayors of NYC coming out publicly to say that they don't want NYCFC to be allowed to build a stadium...at all
- NYC citizens at a public consultation of a stadium getting so angry that some had to be ejected by the police
- FFA vetoing Heart using sky blue
- The meeting with the FFA and City over the colour issue apparently becoming so heated that the two organisations are on the verge of a complete fall-out
- NYC and Melbourne fans making it clear that they want there to be as little connection with City as possible
- A few Heart fans protesting City's ownership because of the sky blue thing
- Americans getting caught up on the whole "human rights" thing
- NYCFC getting sued & potentially banned from having a training ground because its proposed (temporary) training ground will cause "traffic problems"

...and this is what's happened in 12 months. It doesn't exactly paint a rosy picture for the future.

Obviously City haven't been handing out the brown envelopes,as this greases the wheels in all aspects of Aussie public life.
First rule of business here is to grease palms,someone's not done there homework.
Time to splash the cash.

what you have to understand about sydney fc is they are very insecure, they were angry and complained that a team a 2 hour drive from them wanted to play 1 match at an oval about 30 minutes from their home stadium and some of their fans wanted to go to that match to protests the match, i somewhat agree with melbourne city wanting to keep their colours but they should have been able to go sky blue, sydney fc are just very insecure and fight anything they perceive as a threat

its sad because City are bigger than all of Australia pretty much

Falastur said:
dario2739 said:

Because Australia has a grand total of 10 teams of any signficance, total. The A-League is a closed shop, and unlike the MLS they have no intention of expanding it, and the next step down is such a vast drop it's the equivalent of the Conference North being made the second tier of English football. The league therefore wants each of its ten clubs to look completely different to each other.

moomba said:

Red and white hoops looks different to bars though, and besides, it's their away kit. There still seems to be a suggestion that Heart can use blue for their away. They just don't want to.

I have to admit that I'm getting a little concerned about the future of the CFG. It's definitely turning into a bit of a nightmare for City. I have no doubt that they'll stick to their guns and keep pressing on, but there's been a catalogue of problems now that must surely be making Khaldoon and Soriano wonder if the CFG network is worth it anymore:

- Mayors of NYC coming out publicly to say that they don't want NYCFC to be allowed to build a stadium...at all
- NYC citizens at a public consultation of a stadium getting so angry that some had to be ejected by the police
- FFA vetoing Heart using sky blue
- The meeting with the FFA and City over the colour issue apparently becoming so heated that the two organisations are on the verge of a complete fall-out
- NYC and Melbourne fans making it clear that they want there to be as little connection with City as possible
- A few Heart fans protesting City's ownership because of the sky blue thing
- Americans getting caught up on the whole "human rights" thing
- NYCFC getting sued & potentially banned from having a training ground because its proposed (temporary) training ground will cause "traffic problems"

...and this is what's happened in 12 months. It doesn't exactly paint a rosy picture for the future.

I can't imagine the owners thought these things would go without a hitch. Even Saint David of Beckham is having a hard time trying to find a ground for his Miami project.

Oh I don't doubt, but the issue is that everything seems to have gone wrong. in Melbourne, city have basically only done two things: tried to change the name and the colours. We've already spoken about the colours, but one thing I forgot to add is that when they applied for the name Melbourne City then a Sunday League side with that name came out of nowhere and applied for the name first. For a while it even sounded like the other team were going to be awarded it, now it sounds like there's rumours of a possible multi-million dollar pay-off to buy the rights. All the whole they've been copping huge flack from the fans, who want nothing to do with a team which is willing to change their identity - and who can blame them?

In NYC similarly it seems everything is going wrong. We can't build a stadium because the locals and the politicians won't let us. When we almost got a breakthrough last year, the very next week the Mayor left office and his replacement is on record basically saying he has no intention of entering into discussions over letting us have a stadium. When we tried to put a bit of investment into a local university's resources so that we could train there it got us sued. Sued, for crying out loud! Can you imagine if someone sued City for trying to redevelop East Manchester to bring it out of its squalid state?

I've been following news of both clubs closely - I'm a member of both clubs' forums - and it just feels to me like everything is going to pot. I'm not saying it's a doomed project or anything, but Soriano & Co must be wondering why they bother right now, and I do wonder whether all these problems will cause them to scale down City's involvement in CFG.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.