Metal detecting and finds

We had someone round near us find an old WW2 Hand grenade in a local river whilst magnet fishing. They called the police and they cordoned the area off and got the bomb squad in to do a controlled explosion. Heard the bang from the garden about a mile away.

I fancy a bit of that magnet fishing. Having said that, there's probably fuck all metal left in the canals by now.

A German mate of mine who works for FC St Pauli in Hamburg told me the last time I was over there had started magnet fishing. Rather him than me with all the unexploded ordnance in that city.

I spent some time living on a farm in my younger years. Up until the 60s I think it used to be a naval school and the guy who owned the chicken farm over the road used to be into his metal detecting. One of the fields used to be the old playing fields and he found a crate of ww1/2 era rifles which he handed in to the police, I found an old bayonet in the hedge row, there was also an overgrown cemetery in amongst the trees which was sad looking back on it now. He also used to find a fair bit of Roman stuff - mostly coins - and the local museum wanted to come dig the field up and give it a proper going over but as a working farm they was told no. Shame really as would have been good to know what was there as it might have been some sort of Roman settlement given the amount of stuff he’d find.

My grandad used to work for Stockport council during WWII as removals/cleaner. My dad told me he used to dump all war artefacts, exploded ordinance etc in the area at the bottom of Lancashire Hill & Portwood which was approved by the council. Always wanted to check it out but never got round to it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.