Metrolink to / from Etihad

Yes. Had a pint in the SSL1 bar before leaving the ground. Walked round to the tram stop where the queues looked massive. There were 3 doubles waiting and it took about 5 mins from joining the queue to setting off. The metrolink staff were really efficient and the trams set off not too overcrowded.
We've used metrolink a lot since its introduction and its been shite. Felt like there was a whole new approach yesterday. Either that or we just fell lucky with our timing.
Don't know how you managed that, I was wating half an hr at the Manchester stop with an increasing irate crowd having a go at the staff

Excellent service yesterday leaving the ground.
Bollocks.
Yes. Had a pint in the SSL1 bar before leaving the ground. Walked round to the tram stop where the queues looked massive. There were 3 doubles waiting and it took about 5 mins from joining the queue to setting off. The metrolink staff were really efficient and the trams set off not too overcrowded.
We've used metrolink a lot since its introduction and its been shite. Felt like there was a whole new approach yesterday. Either that or we just fell lucky with our timing.
Luck was on your side. Did the wibble wobbly queue and eventually got on the platform. After 10 minutes nothing had happened and the natives started getting restless. That prompted a barely audible announcement from their control room stating that "for passenger going to Manchester there would be a tram in 2 minutes followed by another in 4 minutes". After 5 minutes people were getting really angry and shouting all sorts of abuse about Metrolink. The tram arrived a minute or so later going to Media City. I alighted at Picadilly Station where there was a tram scheduled for Altrincham in 4 minutes a single unit when every other tram was a double. There were hoards of people already on the platform before our tram disgorged its passengers and another double pulled in swelling the numbers. The Altrincham unit was seriously overloaded before it left and people on platforms up to and including Trafford Bar could just not get on. That is simlply not good enough.

Last edited:
Yep, so so busy yesterday, Xmas markets and all. Train in v busy and afterwards too. Most crowded spot I saw all day was platform 13/14 at the foot of the stairs; absolute scenes with the whole width of the platform chocked full of people. In fact can’t believe there hasn’t been a tragedy or two there.

As for the match, every time I catch this thread it reminds me I’m doing the right thing by walking there and back.

It’s not gonna happen of course, but if they could find a way of reserving the trams straight afterwards just for those not able to manage the walk, it would contribute to making us all fitter too!

It’s not a lot of fun if it’s hammering down, but otherwise I always choose to walk now.

Yep, so so busy yesterday, Xmas markets and all. Train in v busy and afterwards too. Most crowded spot I saw all day was platform 13/14 at the foot of the stairs; absolute scenes with the whole width of the platform chocked full of people. In fact can’t believe there hasn’t been a tragedy or two there.

As for the match, every time I catch this thread it reminds me I’m doing the right thing by walking there and back.

It’s not gonna happen of course, but if they could find a way of reserving the trams straight afterwards just for those not able to manage the walk, it would contribute to making us all fitter too!

It’s not a lot of fun if it’s hammering down, but otherwise I always choose to walk now.
Use to walk until father time caught up with me.
Still one of the younger ones on the bus back into town though.lol.

Walked back to Piccadilly like I usually do. Got there and there was a tram on the platform waiting with a "Do not board, tram terminates here" display on the back so didn't rush. Anyway, as I got a bit closer I noticed Altrincham on the side but the tram pulled away, lol.

Absolutely. Why do we put up with it?

It's dangerous.
It is dangerous. And it's being compounded by the war on cars not just around the ground but in town. The places where you could park reasonably in the city centre are shrinking or disappearing as they push everyone onto the tram and on foot. But the tram network simply cannot cope with a match on the best of days, let alone Manchester's packed calendar of events.

Don't know how you managed that, I was wating half an hr at the Manchester stop with an increasing irate crowd having a go at the staff
Probably timing played a part. There were so few people left in the ground by the time Palace got their pen and we stayed for a beer as well.

Nightmare? Squashed all the way to Blackpool?
Mrs Moon keeps saying get the train to/from Poulton ...fucking no chance there's every chance I'll be stuck in Manchester IF they're not on strike.....get the Blackpool SC coach then....well they'd not be happy as it's going up Alan T Way before I get past the Arena as SS3 isn't conducive for a quick getaway if I stay to the end.

So car it is and shortly an even bigger pain with fucking Burnham and his plans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.