Metrolink to / from Etihad

The problem will be platform access.

Full trams arriving for the arena whilst thousand are waiting to leave from our match and only one flight of stairs. The queueing arrangements are bad enough at present but I am waiting to see how Metrolink cock this up.

Should be manageable with a little forward planning.

90% + are coming and going to town, so will be on opposite sides on the main.

I’ve used the tram from Shaw to town (on non match days) recently and I can’t believe how popular it has become. It’s a few years since I’ve had reason to as only tend to come into town on match days now but there’s been a significant upsurge in its usage it seems to me.

I’m not sure they’re prepared for it. And that’s when there wasn’t even an event on!!

Obviously it’s good more people are using it and not just jumping in their cars to get down but cos of that, I think it’s caught them on the hop.

Oh, and when did Deansgate become more or less pedestrianised!!? Christ, I barely recognised parts of my own city!!

I was last in Manchester to watch Hereford at Curzon Ashton and used the tram. It was fine. Allowed me to tap on tap off ticketless and I was charged the right fare after stopping at The Grove on the way.

They’d never have envisaged the population increasing as much as it has and also demand on certain areas.

I was last in Manchester to watch Hereford at Curzon Ashton and used the tram. It was fine. Allowed me to tap on tap off ticketless and I was charged the right fare after stopping at The Grove on the way.

They’d never have envisaged the population increasing as much as it has and also demand on certain areas.
They’ve allowed x amount of houses and apartments to be built so they surely must have envisaged the population increase. They just think they can convince everyone to walk, scoot or cycle around town. Good luck with that.

They’ve allowed x amount of houses and apartments to be built so they surely must have envisaged the population increase. They just think they can convince everyone to walk, scoot or cycle around town. Good luck with that.
I’d imagine the focus was on building the expensive flats/ apartments. The transport links and general infrastructure seem like an after thought

Last edited:
Bad generally or just the Etihad service?
Bad generally. Appallingly crammed carriages during busier times, there's no circle line so you have to miles out of your way to get somewhere on another line that's really not that far away as the crow flies. It's managed terribly on matchdays too. I can be waiting at Cornbrook for a connecting tram to the Etihad and wait there while 2 or 3 Rochdale trams come and go with hardly anyone on them before an Ashton/Etihad tram arrives (although it feels as if this has improved slightly recently). It's as if it's a surprise that 50k+ people are all heading to the same area and they haven't checked.
On city breaks around Europe I'm always amazed at how much better their transport is than the Metrolink. We should have un underground system but we are stuck with what we have.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.