Metrolink to / from Etihad

Bad generally. Appallingly crammed carriages during busier times, there's no circle line so you have to miles out of your way to get somewhere on another line that's really not that far away as the crow flies. It's managed terribly on matchdays too. I can be waiting at Cornbrook for a connecting tram to the Etihad and wait there while 2 or 3 Rochdale trams come and go with hardly anyone on them before an Ashton/Etihad tram arrives (although it feels as if this has improved slightly recently). It's as if it's a surprise that 50k+ people are all heading to the same area and they haven't checked.
On city breaks around Europe I'm always amazed at how much better their transport is than the Metrolink. We should have un underground system but we are stuck with what we have.
If they ever started building an underground system I doubt they would ever complete it. They would come across so much archeological stuff that progress would be constantly halted whilst the Universities and Museums had a good going over of the finds.

They’ve allowed x amount of houses and apartments to be built so they surely must have envisaged the population increase. They just think they can convince everyone to walk, scoot or cycle around town. Good luck with that.
Planning permission goes in for 500 flats + 5 car parking spaces, permission granted by council = parking on all the roads surrounding the development!

The Metrolink is sub-standard in comparison to it’s European counter parts, it is also run very badly.

The overcrowding is so bad it is a miracle there hasn’t been a Hillsborough or Heysel incident yet.

I can’t comment on the service when the Rags are playing, but there is no attempt at all to increase unit sizes or frequency when City are playing.

There is going to be a time when over 83 thousand people will be leaving the stadium and co-op arena at the same time. God help them if they need to use the tram.

Last edited:
The tram is a lot better than it was just 5-6 years ago, but on matchdays I avoid the section Piccadilly to Etihad.

At least there isnt tram works every City weekend like there was a few years back, but none on United match days.

They are restricted by number of trams, how many they can have on a line at one time and I beleive drivers have to have extra training for double trams (citation needed) and because everything hits the city centre bottle neck that reduces possible capacity on the Ashton line.

It's not a lot better over in Trafford on Match Days and they have 3 fully functional lines and approx 5 or 6 walkable stops within a mile.

The tram is a lot better than it was just 5-6 years ago, but on matchdays I avoid the section Piccadilly to Etihad.

At least there isnt tram works every City weekend like there was a few years back, but none on United match days.

They are restricted by number of trams, how many they can have on a line at one time and I beleive drivers have to have extra training for double trams (citation needed) and because everything hits the city centre bottle neck that reduces possible capacity on the Ashton line.

It's not a lot better over in Trafford on Match Days and they have 3 fully functional lines and approx 5 or 6 walkable stops within a mile.
Depending on the weather their fans also have the option to use the log flume

What's wrong with the metro bar the overcrowding on match days.
I don't know the demographics of City's fan base, but no direct tram to the Etihad from South Manchester on match days is bloody nonsense. As it happens being a Sunday game there actually will be direct trams so why not for every game?

They are useless.

I don't know the demographics of City's fan base, but no direct tram to the Etihad from South Manchester on match days is bloody nonsense. As it happens being a Sunday game there actually will be direct trams so why not for every game?

They are useless.
I get the tram from south Manchester and change at Cornbrook. The wait is never longer than 5 mins and is more often less. It’s a piece of piss. In fact the Metrolink is fine apart from if you want to get it from Piccadilly because it’s already filled up at Cornbrook, Deansgate and St Peter’s Square. They should have matchday trams that start at Piccadilly for those arriving by train because otherwise the wait is ridiculous.

I get the tram from south Manchester and change at Cornbrook. The wait is never longer than 5 mins and is more often less. It’s a piece of piss. In fact the Metrolink is fine apart from if you want to get it from Piccadilly because it’s already filled up at Cornbrook, Deansgate and St Peter’s Square. They should have matchday trams that start at Piccadilly for those arriving by train because otherwise the wait is ridiculous.
Yes spot on with that, great idea. They could create a tempory platform where the empty trams turn round and use that to shuttle people back and too from the Stadium.

Whenever I walk past the tram after the game there is an horrendous queue but at the far end a “fast track”. Does anyone know what that is? Is it employees of the tram company?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.