Metrolink to / from Etihad

It will get worse...
I wonder what long-term strategy Burnham has put in place to ensure the Metrolink continues to operate for the next 30 years. I wrote to him last year to ask what plans had been put in place to improve transport around the newly revamped Holt Town development, the expanded Etihad Stadium, and the new arena. The answer was zero. Literally nothing had been put in place (other than reducing publlic parking). When I say nothing I mean not even a taxi rank or an expanded bus service. Burnham talks a good game and delivers very little.

I wonder what long-term strategy Burnham has put in place to ensure the Metrolink continues to operate for the next 30 years. I wrote to him last year to ask what plans had been put in place to improve transport around the newly revamped Holt Town development, the expanded Etihad Stadium, and the new arena. The answer was zero. Literally nothing had been put in place (other than reducing publlic parking). When I say nothing I mean not even a taxi rank or an expanded bus service. Burnham talks a good game and delivers very little.

I’ve no particular love for Burnham but have to admit that the buses have improved significantly in my experience, since he brought them under the Bee Network.

The metrolink has some huge problems, including the over reliance on Cornbrook station. There was a huge failure to address that before they expanded the entire network way beyond its capabilites.

Cornbrook is a single point of failure and a major accident waiting to happen, in my opinion. But, rather than close the Station, maintain what is there and add on new platforms to deal with demand, they ignored it and just continued building new routes, whilst ignoring that bottle neck.

There's a stretch of track on the station approach, where trams are made to wait on a steep incline. At rush hour, on typically overcrowded single trams (that's a separate rant) when trams are paused at this junction, they tilt ominously. It's concerning and dangerous and metrolink continue to pretend it isn't a problem. Just like they do with everything else.

The metrolink has some huge problems, including the over reliance on Cornbrook station. There was a huge failure to address that before they expanded the entire network way beyond its capabilites.

Cornbrook is a single point of failure and a major accident waiting to happen, in my opinion. But, rather than close the Station, maintain what is there and add on new platforms to deal with demand, they ignored it and just continued building new routes, whilst ignoring that bottle neck.

There's a stretch of track on the station approach, where trams are made to wait on a steep incline. At rush hour, on typically overcrowded single trams (that's a separate rant) when trams are paused at this junction, they tilt ominously. It's concerning and dangerous and metrolink continue to pretend it isn't a problem. Just like they do with everything else.
Well said. I hadn’t even appreciated that tilt issue, but fully agree that this is certainly the pressure point on the network imho.

Cornbrook is now the "pinch point" on the network, or at least in the southern section of the system. To expand or redesign this station will obviously be a very expensive and complex project due to it being elevated. However, the immediate problems are the regular and disruptive faults and maintenance throughout. Points failures, tram faults, OLE issues to name a few. For me now personally, Metrolink is rapidly becoming a blight on the Greater Manchester transport infrastructure.

If you take the cost of the arena and the expansion that’s over £650m without any significant spend (lights and signs on the walkway yeah)on transport infrastructure where else in the world would this happen? Will it take the completion of say £500m on all the collar site and surrounding areas before they start anything? Let’s see what Burnham promises the United project as they won’t be getting just banners and a few lights along the way to OT! On Salford Quays where the population has grown significantly and will continue with all the blocks planned there is still pretty much one loop road and a 12 minute metro service (probably can’t have more frequent as Cornbrook can’t cope now) what’s the plan Andy?

He seems to be more interested in his new pal Tax Dodger Jim and proposals for development around the Swamp.

I’ve no particular love for Burnham but have to admit that the buses have improved significantly in my experience, since he brought them under the Bee Network.
I was referring to the area around the Etihad. There are less bus services to and from the Etihad than there were at Maine Road. It is a shambles on matchdays. Roads clogged by cars stopping tram movements, no bus lanes, no traffic control at all. One of the worst stadiums I have ever attended for transport and I have been to hundreds across the world. I can’t comment on the Bee network in the rest of the city.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.