Metrolink to / from Etihad

I’ve not read all this thread but what is the Metrolink like on the Bury line to the Etihad? I got a parking ticket last game so parking is now out. Will have to try the metrolink.

I’ve not read all this thread but what is the Metrolink like on the Bury line to the Etihad? I got a parking ticket last game so parking is now out. Will have to try the metrolink.
Only runs direct to the Etihad occassionally, think usually during engineering works. Was recently starting from Crumpsall where there is a 3rd platform. Not sure why this is not a regular matchday service as fans coming from Bury could switch trams here.

I was referring to the area around the Etihad. There are less bus services to and from the Etihad than there were at Maine Road. It is a shambles on matchdays. Roads clogged by cars stopping tram movements, no bus lanes, no traffic control at all. One of the worst stadiums I have ever attended for transport and I have been to hundreds across the world. I can’t comment on the Bee network in the rest of the city.

Fair enough. I read your post as if you were talking about public transport in general.

I’ve not used the bus to get to/ from the ground since the tram line opened, so I can’t really comment on that.

As for the tram, I find it pretty good on the whole. Of course it’s frustrating when things go wrong. But there’s no perfect solution for getting tens of thousands of people from A to B at the exact same time, no matter what resources you’ve got. So I don’t think they do a bad job, all things considered.

I suspect that the handful of people on this thread after virtually every game, moaning about how shit it is, are probably the same sort of people who spend half their lives moaning about something or other.

Fair enough. I read your post as if you were talking about public transport in general.

I’ve not used the bus to get to/ from the ground since the tram line opened, so I can’t really comment on that.

As for the tram, I find it pretty good on the whole. Of course it’s frustrating when things go wrong. But there’s no perfect solution for getting tens of thousands of people from A to B at the exact same time, no matter what resources you’ve got. So I don’t think they do a bad job, all things considered.

I suspect that the handful of people on this thread after virtually every game, moaning about how shit it is, are probably the same sort of people who spend half their lives moaning about something or other.
To be fair I usually get the train in and walk from town. I just consider it good exercise but for some people it isn't an option. My main issue is the sheer lack of transport options compared to Old Trafford which has multiple tram lines, rail links, and loads of buses. Also very easy for on-street parkng on the Chorlton side. City have been seriously neglected over the years. Even a bog-standard taxi rank would help to stop the chaos on the tram lines after matches.

Sunday games usually have all trams going to Piccadilly but if you’re early enough (2hrs+ before ko) then it’s usually easy to change at Piccadilly (same platform) to a tram going to the stadium. After that it’s pot luck to get on one or have a long queue so possibly quicker to walk.

Saturdays have some services going to Altrincham, some to Piccadilly, so you have to cross from Market St to Piccadilly Gardens but see the 2hr rule above.

Not sure what the service is after 6pm weeknights.

Going back means either leaving early or queuing min 30 minutes to squeeze onto a tram to Piccadilly. Trams from Piccadilly to Bury will be empty as they start from there.

We sometimes walk to Central Park for a tram back into Victoria and then one towards Bury but doubt we’ll do that when it’s dark.

Disclaimer: Metrolink reserve the right to cock up these services at any point. Also allow for the possibility of cars on the line, medical emergencies, broken points, etc.

Got the Metrolink from town to Mediacity today. It was busy with people both ways. Seamless service. Arrived on (real) time, quick, efficient, both ways.

I was referring to the area around the Etihad. There are less bus services to and from the Etihad than there were at Maine Road. It is a shambles on matchdays. Roads clogged by cars stopping tram movements, no bus lanes, no traffic control at all. One of the worst stadiums I have ever attended for transport and I have been to hundreds across the world. I can’t comment on the Bee network in the rest of the city.
Mets were stuck near the Mitchel Arms after a game this season because traffic had stopped on the Met tracks and some dickhead on the Met pulled the Emergency Door Release on the back of a double unit and got off. The driver had to climb down from one unit and helped being pulled up to get onto the other one and then vice-versa on the way back to his cabin.

By then three double Mets packed full of people had got stuck behind them for 20 minutes.

It was a complete shit show!

All because one knobhead driver can’t just be patient and hang back a bit and one knobhead Met passenger can’t just be patient and wait for things to move. But all caused by a lack of organisation of transport around the Etihad.

I don’t think cars should be allowed anywhere near the stadium after the game. The roads should be closed to cars and have special buses lined up taking people to either Piccadilly, Victoria (there’s currently no bus that runs from the Etihad-Victoria) and maybe somewhere like Droylsden on the Ashton Met line.

Last edited:
Mets were stuck near the Mitchel Arms after a game this season because traffic had stopped on the Met tracks and some dickhead on the Met pulled the Emergency Door Release on the back of a double unit and got off. The driver had to climb down from one unit and helped being pulled up to get onto the other one and then vice-versa on the way back to his cabin.

By then three double Mets packed full of people had got stuck behind them for 20 minutes.

It was a complete shit show!

All because one knobhead driver can’t just be patient and hang back a bit and one knobhead Met passenger can’t just be patient and wait for things to move. But all caused by a lack of organisation of transport around the Etihad.

I don’t think cars should be allowed anywhere near the stadium after the game. The roads should be closed to cars and have special buses lined up taking people to either Piccadilly, Victoria (there’s currently no bus that runs from the Etihad-Victoria) and maybe somewhere like Droylsden on the Ashton Met line.
Agree 100 per cent. No cars just buses and taxis in controlled lanes and trams should be allowed down there. The route back to town should just be cleared of traffic. There are plenty of alternative routes. Why anyone would take a car down there after the match is beyond me. I have never seen it anywhere else. You can't drive so close to the stadiums at Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Old Trafford etc etc. The surrounding streets are just closed except for buses. It is ridiculous at the Etihad.

To be fair I usually get the train in and walk from town. I just consider it good exercise but for some people it isn't an option. My main issue is the sheer lack of transport options compared to Old Trafford which has multiple tram lines, rail links, and loads of buses. Also very easy for on-street parkng on the Chorlton side. City have been seriously neglected over the years. Even a bog-standard taxi rank would help to stop the chaos on the tram lines after matches.

I’m all for any suggestions to improve transport. But I don’t see there’s any point making comparisons to a different stadium, that just happens to be in a location that multiple tram lines pass by.

I’m not sure we’re getting the worst of things on the bus front either. I used to get the 250 on a regular basis, whose regular route stops right outside the ground. And it was diverted away from the ground whenever there was a match on.

Do they have a similar match day bus network that we now have?

The other alternative transport link which is not operating to it's full potential is Ashburys railway station.
It just needs to made accessible, and for additional calls to be made there by trains before and after matches.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.