Metrolink to / from Etihad

Everything about the stadium infrastructure was better when the capacity was 47,000, and night matches have become a lesson in frustration
There's a huge underused Park-and-Ride facility in Hazel Grove that would be ideal for all those fans on the East Cheshire/North Derbyshire/Peak District border, as opposed to crawling through heavy traffic,(with road works seemingly everywhere) or getting home at midnight, because the late kick off restricts our public transport.

A Tram Line would be ideal, but even a couple of post-match double decker buses pointing South, rather than towards Piccadilly, would be a small step in the right direction.
The buses are as bad as the tram. Walking towards Asda from SS there must’ve been about 30 buses heading to town lined up doing nothing. I had to run to make sure I got the one bus that was heading towards Ashton. Was amazed it was there tbh, no buses the last 2 night games.

Just had a look on Google Earth and the line in front of Asda includes a third line in between the the 2 main running lines.

Any Metrolink Staff on here to explain the purpose of this, is it possible to have empty trams stood here ready to run back to Town at the end of the match? I presume that was the intention but judging by the comments it doesn't seem to happen.

Also, how much work would be needed to run a 6 car tram, maybe just on certain sections.

Etihad to town for example.

I believe some if the old trams should have been kept and converted for standing only to be used on event days at the Etihad and the Swamp.

Sadly a non integrated public transport network and a useless Mayor means we have a shite and very expensive public transport system.

Just had a look on Google Earth and the line in front of Asda includes a third line in between the the 2 main running lines.

Any Metrolink Staff on here to explain the purpose of this, is it possible to have empty trams stood here ready to run back to Town at the end of the match? I presume that was the intention but judging by the comments it doesn't seem to happen.

Also, how much work would be needed to run a 6 car tram, maybe just on certain sections.

Etihad to town for example.

I believe some if the old trams should have been kept and converted for standing only to be used on event days at the Etihad and the Swamp.

Sadly a non integrated public transport network and a useless Mayor means we have a shite and very expensive public transport system.
According to a tram driver mate of mine, I believe there is something called a ‘pocket’ nearby where trams can effectively branch off and then head back towards town when the driver goes up the other end. But it is too small to hold more than one or two.
The problem we have is that the ground is only served by one line. Fans of the other lot have three serving the entire Metrolink network.
They can, within a shortish walk, access the Alty-Bury line at Old Trafford, the East Dids to Oldham/Rochdale and the airport lines at Trafford Bar or the Eccles to Ashton line at Media City/Salford Quays. And the huge depot near Trafford Bar can be stacked with as many additional trams as you can find drivers for.
Plus there is also network rail train near the away fans entrance.
The only alternative for us is to walk into town or a half hour-plus walk to Central Park/Monsall for the Rochdale/East Dids line

Last edited:
Credit where it's due. The post match trams seemed to be well organised last night. Stayed til the final whistle, clapped the team off, went for a wee, and descended the CB3 spiral. The queue through the chicane moved quickly & we got straight on a special heading towards Victoria. The connecting tram from Market Street was a tad busier than normal as a JLS gig had just finished at the arena, and there was plenty of late night Xmas market punters.

Credit where it's due. The post match trams seemed to be well organised last night. Stayed til the final whistle, clapped the team off, went for a wee, and descended the CB3 spiral. The queue through the chicane moved quickly & we got straight on a special heading towards Victoria. The connecting tram from Market Street was a tad busier than normal as a JLS gig had just finished at the arena, and there was plenty of late night Xmas market punters.
Agreed, Been a fierce critic of problems after night games but left the match at the end parked in Ashton and the tram was basically waiting for us to arrive and go.
Back home in leafy Cheshire at 22.20.
Well done Metrolink ( Thru gritted teeth )

Did the Christmas Market yesterday, ended up in the Wine Lodge Printworks, left at 7:05, tram to Piccadilly, then tram to Etihad, in the ground for 7:45, pretty good, tap in tap out on the debit card. First time I’ve ever done that and surprised how organised it was.

Agreed, Been a fierce critic of problems after night games but left the match at the end parked in Ashton and the tram was basically waiting for us to arrive and go.
I suspect the fact it was a high profile game with loads of tourists meant they pulled out all the stops last night. Let’s see if they can maintain that level of service for a regular midweek game.
Delighted if they can and I might start using them again, having sacked them off this season, but I won’t hold my breath.

PS the Altrincham line is closed this Sunday iirc so I expect more chaos

Anyone know where the Altrincham Trams disappeared to last night after the game.
None at Picc. Waited at Cornbrook, streams of Eccles, Airport and Didsbury Trams.
Waited half an hour for a four tram Cattle Truck.
Disgusting Service.

Anyone know where the Altrincham Trams disappeared to last night after the game.
None at Picc. Waited at Cornbrook, streams of Eccles, Airport and Didsbury Trams.
Waited half an hour for a four tram Cattle Truck.
Disgusting Service.
Metrolink policy “Fuck Altrincham”.

No service on Sunday when City have a home match, does it ever happen to the Rags?

Which is the total opposite of what I experienced. I did the same at the ground but walked into Piccadilly. No Alty tram came for over 20 minutes and I wasnt in Sale until gone 11pm. I walk because for years it's been a shit show with trams at the ground. Just my luck.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.