Middle East Conflict (merged) | Iran launch missile attack after Israel invade Lebanon

Sick irony really when you think back to the Nazi's treatment of the Jews in WW2 it's almost gone full circle the victim has become the abuser.
That is what I really don't get. If I'd suffered to that kind of extent I'd like to think I would bend over backwards to keep the peace. They seem to just be pointing a gun at the Palestinians and telling them to bend over forwards.

That is what I really don't get. If I'd suffered to that kind of extent I'd like to think I would bend over backwards to keep the peace. They seem to just be pointing a gun at the Palestinians and telling them to bend over forwards.
Well you think wrong. When a third of your people have been murdered simply for being who they are, you don't give someone a second chance to kill yet more. You'll never understand that.

Well you think wrong. When a third of your people have been murdered simply for being who they are, you don't give someone a second chance to kill yet more. You'll never understand that.
You should do the same to them instead? How many hundred thousand dead Palestinians is it now over the years? I'm sure the leaders know what they're doing, so we'd better back them... Where has that argument been heard before? Germany? Zimbabwe? South Africa? North Korea?

Some Israeli's people do want peace so I would not tar them all with the same brush, however the fact remains that Israel is an illegal state propped up by Western governments and the Arabs will never accept that especially when they are being imprisoned without basic resources.

If a government of another country decided to make Cumbria a Muslim state tomorrow I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be too impressed.

Last edited:
Possibly they don't want to be slaughtered to the point of extinction ? Neither side comes out with any credit and unless they can learn to talk I'm not sure how it ends, Palestinian blood does seem to come cheep from both sides, it saddens me greatly that violence appears to be the first option and not the last resort.

Possibly they don't want to be slaughtered to the point of extinction ? Neither side comes out with any credit and unless they can learn to talk I'm not sure how it ends, Palestinian blood does seem to come cheep from both sides, it saddens me greatly that violence appears to be the first option and not the last resort.
As much as I agree with the right of the Jewish people to self-determination, I don't see how there will ever be peace in its current guise.

If I came into your garden, set up my deckchair in it and put a fence up around two thirds of it so you couldn't get in I imagine you might be somewhat irritated. If I then kept popping up in your bit and putting down some plant pots I think you would be more annoyed still. If I could see you were annoyed so I started pelting you with garden trimmings you might get more mad still.

Agreed, it's a bit of an absurd analogy and the reality is many times worse, but in that scenario would you just give up those bits of your garden?

The fact of the matter is that the self-determined location of the Jewish state is in one of the most controversial and religiously divided areas of the world. Give them New Jersey and the world would be a lot more peaceful, but that wouldn't be acceptable to them. Given the history of the area (Israel, not New Jersey!), I can understand that perspective too.

Around and around we go.

You should do the same to them instead? How many hundred thousand dead Palestinians is it now over the years? I'm sure the leaders know what they're doing, so we'd better back them... Where has that argument been heard before? Germany? Zimbabwe? South Africa? North Korea?
Less than 1.

As much as I agree with the right of the Jewish people to self-determination, I don't see how there will ever be peace in its current guise.

If I came into your garden, set up my deckchair in it and put a fence up around two thirds of it so you couldn't get in I imagine you might be somewhat irritated. If I then kept popping up in your bit and putting down some plant pots I think you would be more annoyed still. If I could see you were annoyed so I started pelting you with garden trimmings you might get more mad still.

Agreed, it's a bit of an absurd analogy and the reality is many times worse, but in that scenario would you just give up those bits of your garden?

The fact of the matter is that the self-determined location of the Jewish state is in one of the most controversial and religiously divided areas of the world. Give them New Jersey and the world would be a lot more peaceful, but that wouldn't be acceptable to them. Given the history of the area (Israel, not New Jersey!), I can understand that perspective too.

Around and around we go.
Unfortunately your last line is how I see it, PB's phraseology could have been better but I understand the sentiments behind it, he's a fair minded person in my view or as much as any of us can be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.