Middle East Conflict (merged)

I'm looking for documentaries or books to educate myself on the history of all this if anybody can recommend anything?

Do people cry racism when we criticise China over their treatment of the Uyghurs? Although similarly to Israel, as long as there's more money or political capital to be made by not mentioning it, people in power will just keep quiet. It's not surprising the politicians only started speaking out against the treatment of Uyghurs once relations had deteriorated to the point of no return. Before that, it was very much, "Yes, of course we'll bring up human rights in this multi-billion pound trade negotiation. Honest."

Although it's worth mentioning that there's a difference between actions of some despotic regime somewhere, and the actions of an ally that we sell weapons to, and in America's case, actively protect them at all costs. I also don't think many of the people unhappy with our continued unquestioning support for Israel are particular happy about our support for regimes like Saudi Arabia either. And it's not as if places like India and Myanmar have escaped criticism for their treatment of minorities in recent years.
Brilliantly put.

It was kept. Jordan was the outcome.
The McMahon declaration (before the Balfour declaration) was for a much larger area. The subsequent British line was that the area to be excluded in the west of Syria was intended to include a long way south of Syria. Coupled with the secret Sykes-Picot carve-up of the region, it just smacks of British perfidy, promising the same place to different people (and Churchill playing games again: PALESTINE CONSTITUTION. (Hansard, 27 March 1923) (millbanksystems.com).

Last edited:
I'm looking for documentaries or books to educate myself on the history of all this if anybody can recommend anything?
It's obviously a very polarised issue, so whatever you watch/read will reflect a particular perspective. This list of recommendations from Penguin includes a number of different voices - albeit it's quite slanted to the personal story / memoir style, when maybe you're looking for a straight historical narrative.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.