Milner [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fixer said:
Apparently he won't hand in a transfer request to force the move, but am i right in thinking he did the opposite at newcastle?

Haven't heard that but if true, we should move on. I suspect he needs us more than we need him. Nobody is going to be broken hearted if this forum is anything to go by.

Guardian: Manchester City ready to bid £24million for Aston Villa's James Milner

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/07/james-milner-manchester-city-aston-villa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... ston-villa</a>?

Damocles said:
I have explained this on two previous occasion, but I personally think that Milner would be a good signing for anything under £60m.

Also, now I come to mention it, how exactly are you determining his 'value' at £15m? Villa paid £12m for him a few season ago and he's a far better player. How much of a dent will it make in the momentum of the team? Will it possibly cost them places? What about the homegrown rule? How much does he make Villa in merchandising? What will the sponsors think of the deal? Will the value of the club and it's marketability weigh up against a potential transfer fee? How much will his replacement cost? What are the cost projections on season ticket sales for losing Milner?

Unless you can truthfully and knowledgeably answer all of these questions, you don't have a clue how much his 'value' is, and what you are doing, is basically posting random numbers.

Transfer values are not comparable across different sales and players. Anyway, his 'value' is whatever we pay for it, you are describing his worth. I say his value to us will be anything under £60m, because I fully believe that we have £300m warchest to play with, as that's what's been stated on numerous occasions in the press. £60m represents 20% of our budget this summer, which for a player of Milner's potential, and the potential added benefit to the team, I believe is a good deal.

In non-City terms, it would be like Spurs paying £12m for him, based on a £60m budget this summer. Again though, I don't know whether or not that is a good deal, as I'm not as acquainted with the Spurs squads/reserves/youth as I am with City.

Great post from this afternoon.
Its pointless commenting on how much different players are "worth" in money terms. Compare them in ability, use to the team, track record or whatever else, fine, but not in terms of millions of pounds, when the buyer/seller/timing is different in every case.
Milner is clearly highly rated by "the football community" for want of a better phrase (managers, pundits, journos etc) - personally i dont think he'd be our most important signing of this summer but i'd love to see him at our place- for example hes 5 years younger than Gareth Barry i think, fitter, and more proactive in affecting the game.

So lets go and get him!

10.Goater_Legend said:
Guardian: Manchester City ready to bid £24million for Aston Villa's James Milner

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/07/james-milner-manchester-city-aston-villa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... ston-villa</a>?

They were spot on with the Lescott bids.

Looks like this will be correct.

mcfcliam said:
10.Goater_Legend said:

I said to The Fixer a couple of weeks ago (i'm sure he'd back me up) we will go back in with 24 mill..............no way they would of gone straight to 30 mill on this one.
There will also be a player involved going the other way...................

mentioned this in another thread.

Players are worth what clubs are willing to pay, take this for an example, the top two are chasing this midfield player x has lots of midfielders and doesnt really need him, but would be a good addition neither the less, y are lacking midfielders and need him.

its the same player, but different situations present different valuation. its wrong to compare prices imo.

Danamy said:
mcfcliam said:

I said to The Fixer a couple of weeks ago (i'm sure he'd back me up) we will go back in with 24 mill..............no way they would of gone straight to 30 mill on this one.

Yes Damany did say this to me, he also told me the player thats highly likely to be involved in the deal.... infact he give me this info about 5/6 weeks back.

The Fixer said:
Danamy said:

Yes Damany did say this to me, he also told me the player thats highly likely to be involved in the deal.... infact he give me this info about 5/6 weeks back.

I'd accept it if its one player going - its when we get to the recent stroy of two going the other way that i'd draw the line

If we are willing to go back with a £24m bid there is no doubt it will have clauses that rise to near enough £30m anyway but if we did pay a flat £30m I think it would be alot over priced, as people have said Aston Villa paid £12m for him and he has improved but we can also look at what we have paid for Silva, or even Toure. £24.1m for Silva and £25 for Toure, so can I ask the question, is Milner at their standards? I'm afraid not, if Mancini is willing to pay 24m for him then fair enough but, but the thing is now we have just bought 2 centre midfielders, attcking minded and defencively minded, where will he fit in? He can play right mid yes but then Adam Johnson which we cannot forget was cracking when he arrived from middlesbrough in January. Milner played CM for the majority of last season and I don't see how he is going to put a starting shirt on over the likes of de Jong, Silva, Toure and maybe even Barry, who we cannot forget will be fighting for a centre role. Then do we keep Ireland and Johnson? Or move them on? Interesting next month for us here blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.