Monaco - Post Match thread.

They've waited and waited for Pep and on the basis he'd improve European performances but he has failed miserably. Now gone out of EFL cup and Chumps league too easily and are way behind in the prem, from his starting point and £150m investment it's not good enough[/QU

based on this season
Pep has to take a huge amount of the blame for that one. Did he think to deeply and bamboozle himself? Whatever, his tactics of just having Fernandinho in front of our defence tonight in the first half cost us big time. It was shocking. Did he not watch the previous game? And why didn't he change it earlier than he did?
Much better in the second half - but we really should have scored at least 2 more goals more than we did in the second half.
Shocking free kick to concede the third from - indeed, I really don't know why we use that tactic as it always looks dodgy.
We need major restructuring at the back and in defensive midfield to move forward, but we knew that already.

Agree with you , the players will get all the blame ( and they did underperform first half) but surely someone will be questioning Pep or is "untouchable" wirhin the club

Don't hold much hope for the rest of the season, can't even see us reaching the final of the fa cup at this rate. Big, big changes needed in the summer window and the sooner some of you accept our situation the better! We have regressed! Fucking fuming

Im not that bothered about he loss tonight...we got what we deserved with that performance and we are simply a level or two below where we need to be to win the thing anyway...there is time for that

More concerning is the effect that this has not he rest of the season...

3 huge games coming up.....Liverpool at home....they have it over us at the moment.....there press will again cause us huge problems again

Chelski away.....costa against Kolarov or stones doesn't bare thinking about and against Ottomendi there is a sending off happening....

Hazard given the time and space we give teams to counter us could rip us a new one as well

Our season could look bleak by the end of the month...Pep needs to reinvigorate us somehow as that performance tonight looked physically and mentally jaded...we were second best all over the pitch

I'm sick of watching Sagna go 5 yards forward then swivel and pass the ball back to the centre half. Roll on summer when we can sort out the fullbacks because we play like a crab at times.
I can't tell you how many times I screamed at my tv because I was sick and tired going backwards

Sorry but it was a train wreck before the game had even started.
Absolutely criminal to set up the way we did given the 2 goal advantage we had. Other coaches simply would NOT have done what Pep did tonight and shame on him for going so bloody gung ho. How can you score 6 goals over 2 games and not get through? Shambolic.
You know the way we play. We got over-powered 1st half. I don't think sitting back would have made any difference. In fact if you look at what happened in the game, we got right back in it 2nd half when Monaco decided to defend.

It was a meeting of two offensively very strong teams. I thought they were outstanding 1st half, and we were good 2nd half. The difference is that although we play great football going forward, we don't have many good finishers. Silva, Sterling are not good in front of goal.Sane and Aguero are OK. Aguero is missing a lot at the moment and I think he is on the downward path. I might be being harsh there.

Thought our second half performance was equally as good as their first. It's like a broken record for us but talking our chances is so important
100% correct, we still should have won that game with two missed sitters. We must look objectively at how Pep has improved us thus far by adding youth and pace up front. Looking at Monaco's youthful team this must be the blueprint for us. Sane, Sterling and Jesus are a glimpse of the future. I look at some of our best players from the last few years and despite how much I love Silva, Sergio, Vinny etc they cannot take us forward under a progressive high tempo manager. In other words they've had their chance and we must ruthlessly replace some or all of them - The Jesus injury was a real blow for this season. For me we must go and buy the Monaco fullbacks which would improve us instantly. Things aren't as bad as some will make you believe - Lastly lets not forget how Monaco brushed aside Spurs.

KDB and silva have to take most of the blame imo. Both shockingly shit, summed up by KDB giving a free kick away for no reason at all from which they score from. Also, that free kick we had at the end where KDB just kicked it to their keeper, deary me. We are miles behind the top teams.

None of our defence are good enough, maybe Stones can be maybe. Our keeper isn't good enough. Our CM is shit, only yaya but he's too old. Silva should be moved on this year and we should be looking at bringing in Monaco's silva, he looks dynamite. KDB has been poor for so long, often saved by his odd world class cross here and there.

Sterling for me is too erratic to start for a team aiming for the stars, has the pace and intelligence just lacks the natural ability and finesse. Just don't see how we'll figure this out in one summer, from last summer it's only really Sane who we've signed that's good enough.

still set up the goal tonight and hes got one of the highest assists stats in the league. hes more then good enough for where we want to be. he just needs to add consistency.

We don't have defenders that are comfortable on the ball, panic sets in far to easy.
But it wasn't just about them tonight. 1st half we couldn't pass, even when not under
any pressure. We started the game the exact opposite of what was needed.
I don't think it the fault of the central defenders, they don't trust the likes of Fernandinho, Clichy and Sagna to take the ball under pressure, and rightly so. When you watch the top European teams, they will pass the ball to feet, to a guy under pressure, because they know they can trust them.

Yaya and Silva are the only 2 players we have who can protect the ball reliably under pressure.

Missed our chances, defended horribly, had some really, really poor performances from key players.

Sagna/Clichy are long since done and will be out in the summer. I personally believe Kolarov, Zaba, Aguero and possibly Yaya too. Our squad isn't good enough and ultimately our aging, paceless defence couldn't cope with their speed.

People will blame Pep for this, already seeing the same names as after the Stoke game, but Kun takes his chances and we're through, or KDB doesn't have such a shocker. Ditto Sterling and first half Silva.

Big improvement needed pronto with a tough league run coming up.

Great post.

Nope.
Semis to dumped out before the quarter finals.

Yep.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.