Monaco - Post Match thread.

Regardless of management or player performance, City have deep team structural and recruitment problems behind the scenes. Indeed, quite how our full backs haven't been upgraded over the last 3 seasons is simply beyond me.
We were trying all Summer to buy a central defender - the deals fell through. I don;t think you can replace a whole team. If we 'd have bought a central defender and full backs we'd have spent £200m and it would have taken a long time to get the team going.

I don't know what we were doing with that free-kick. Willy is not a keeper who comes and takes a cross so we just invited them to put it in no-mans land.

First half was a shambles, so many key players completely off the boil, and we were lucky to be only 2-0 down at half time.

I agree with your sentiment about making them look better than what they were, certainly with the number of misplaced passes, KDB and Silva two prime suspects here, and the lack of energy in trying to retrieve possession (as we saw in the second half) it made Monaco look dominant.

We had enough chances to put the game away in the second half and didn't, as we've struggled to do all season. My mind tells me "we lack a clinical striker", but my heart tells me "we have Kun Aguero". I don't really know what Pep will do there, but at least the defensive problems will be tackled this coming Summer for sure.
Agree with all that but why, why were we so abject in the first half? Why did we do the opposite of what pep said we needed - intensity, fight, energy, wanting it more? Thats the bit I really really struggle with. Twice this season, I really thought we had turned the corner and were consistently getting better under Pep. Now I don't know. Sunday is a huge test for our mentality - we may win lose or draw but whichever I want to see a mentally strong team.

Fucks sake, a lot of self entitled opinions on here. We have no divine right to trophies, there are great teams in the Premier League and Europe. If Pep walked as some of you wish you could kiss goodbye to attracting top talent. Which Manager in his right mind would want to follow Pep in a poisonous chalice if a job? Top players would balk at joining us for the same reason. He's been here for two minutes and one proper window where he had to address how to improve the squad without really knowing the strength and potential of the existing players.

I suggest some of you attend an away game and take some City therapy on how to support the team with unconditional blue love. You would realise what being a true supporter is all about and have a good time to boot.

I'm pissed about last night but ffs, we have the rest of the season and a FA Cup semi final to look forward to, after reading this thread you would think we were fighting relegation.

As upset and pissed of as I am with the performance first half and result, do we really think we could go much further in the competition is don't think so let's go all out for the cup and finish 2nd.

Having had chance to think about last night - we can't defend and don't have the personnel to try and defend. Monaco remind of that Liverpool side with Sterling, Suarez etc start like a house on fire then fizzle out! Pep made a slight tweak at half time and we had 5 gilt edge chances to put the tie to bed second half, we took one! Our finishing 2nd half put us out that tie. You can not miss that number of good chances and hope to go through!

mate we scored 6 times against a high quality side, that aint the problem

A very bad day at the office.
The point I am trying to make is that you cannot win at this level when several players are below par.

If I had to criticise , what the fuck was Sagna trying to do positionally first half.
He had no idea of where he was supposed to be.

City were not under par in first half. Monaco just put to much pressure on them and they lost confidence which made them look average. After that it was to late. Second half we gained confidence but that was only because Monaco sat back. If it as been a repeat of first half it would have been worse. Any top team would have had same issue. We know defense is not great but we score goals. We were simply not given the time and space. Just need to learn to give as good as we get.

Woke up really depressed this morning. This is THE competition we are supposed to be prioritising above all others and then we put in a performance like that. I am too depressed to be angry. I honestly can't remember being this flat for years. At least under Pearce and before, we knew we were shit so it kind of didn't matter.

But now with the entire set up we have, to throw a 2-0 lead in the one competition we have been working for, for years, with a performance like that. Dear God.

Perhaps for me the most depressing thing is how utterly useless our manager was. Tactical genius my arse.

I can barely be bothered to watch us against Liverpool, but I suppose I will.

No need for over analysis however likely it is to do it after a game like that.

Simply if yaya starts or kdb drops deeper from the beginning like he has when we've steamrollered teams, their first goal never happens and the Grand Canyon between dinho and the front 5 disappears.

I don't blame the team so much because ultimately Pep shouldn't have tinkered especially when it's been clear as day that dinho has been off form with his passing for weeks.
Your point about defensive midfield is the bottom line for me. Pep is as much to blame as the players for last night. All stank the place out.
The worst thing for me though is that I can't believe Pep didn't change it till half time!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.