Most underrated and overrated cricketer

Hamann Pineapple said:
Causeway_Boy said:
Hamann Pineapple said:
James Anderson and Kevin Pietersen

I don't think James Anderson is underrated. He is one of the best bowlers in the world.

You are right, he doesn't get the recognition or sponsorship deals though unlike that cocksure selfish twat

Completely different personalities.
Jimmy seems a reserved and down to earth bloke. He'll be remembered for the right reasons; unlike KP

Causeway_Boy said:
Rascal said:
Causeway_Boy said:
Oh I am not disputing that performance in '81. It's a shame Bob Willis isn't given more credit for that series.

I give Willis just as much credit for 81 as he was magnificent but Botham was on another level

I also give Brearly the most credit as possibly the worst batsman to ever play for England but without doubt our greatest captain.

Yeah Brearly's batting average was that of a tail ender!

Agree totally, but he was Mike the magician, the Aussie's didnt get him at all, bit too clever for a fair dinkum Aussie brut. The art of captaincy by him, was the first cricket book i read, a must for any young aspiring captain.

Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
Causeway_Boy said:
Rascal said:
I give Willis just as much credit for 81 as he was magnificent but Botham was on another level

I also give Brearly the most credit as possibly the worst batsman to ever play for England but without doubt our greatest captain.

Agree totally, but he was Mike the magician, the Aussie's didnt get him at all, bit too clever for a fair dinkum Aussie brut. The art of captaincy by him, was the first cricket book i read, a must for any young aspiring captain.

His book is a must read! One of the best captains of all time.

Causeway_Boy said:
Causeway_Boy said:

His book is a must read! One of the best captains of all time.

Interesting listening to the Aussies talk about him, Kim Hughes said they all laughed and thought they had it in the bag and that he was weakening the team "he ran like a grandad between overs". What he didnt realise was Brearley was able to get his team pulling together and he freed up Botham, who obviously was able with bat and ball, whereas his team had an under current of distrust and dislike and Hughes didnt understand until he retired how important and how good Brearley was. Lillee used to bounce Hughes every net session, he didnt like him, he didnt like he was the captain and Marsh wasnt. I dont think that infamous bet on England at 500-1 would have happened under Chappell or Border.

Kim Hughes said first time he ever faced Lillee, Dennis bowled a bouncer that whistled passed his nose, and he ran down and said sorry, Hughes said he thought this Lillee bloke is ok, whats all the fuss about, and Dennis followed it with "Sorry i missed your head you curly haired prick"

The Tharp Arms said:
Maybe Matthew Hoggard didn't get the media plaudits.

I am sure his England colleagues would tell a different story as he held the bowling attack together at times.

For me, Simon Jones was always underrated and but for injuries .......

As for overrated, Ronnie Irani. No doubt whatsoever.

Me dad is a taff so always goes with how good Simon Jones could have been. Loved Hoggard and the way he speaks, swinging it on our pitches was a joy to behold. Cheers Matthew.

mcmanus said:
The Tharp Arms said:

I am sure his England colleagues would tell a different story as he held the bowling attack together at times.

Me dad is a taff so always goes with how good Simon Jones could have been. Loved Hoggard and the way he speaks, swinging it on our pitches was a joy to behold. Cheers Matthew.

Simon Jones was possibly one of the most exciting bowlers i have evr seen

Such a shame he was injured.

Rascal said:
mcmanus said:
The Tharp Arms said:

Simon Jones was possibly one of the most exciting bowlers i have evr seen

Such a shame he was injured.

Straight up Rasc had me scran round at me old man's today and we had the craic about Hoggard...we agreed on his day he swing it more than Julian Clary. Got punished at times but bang on.

Rascal said:
Shands said:
Here's one for you. If you could pick any 11 to go and watch play who would you include?

Mine would be:

Michael Slater
Rahul Dravid
Brian Lara
Aravinda De Silva
Damian Martyn
Vinod Kambli
AB De Villiers (wk)
Wasim Akram
Curtly Ambrose
James Anderson

Mutiah Muralitharan

In a test match for excitement it would be

Gordon Greenidge
Roy Fredericks
KP
Sir Viv
Lara
Botham
Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Richard Hadlee
Warne
Holding

Very similar to mine - you have KP, i have the elegance of Gower. You have Hadlee i have gone for Freddie, yours a much better cricketer however Freddie had that thing for getting the crowd going much like Botham. Holding/Marshall/Garner is another i could pick any of them on any different day. I went Sehwag, as Fredericks was a bit before my time.
I was bit surprise not to see tendulkar and surpised to see kambli....I love to see sachin play...used to go out for 1st class games just to c him bat....but heres my 11 out of players in last decade..
Sehwag/Amla bth wld be enjoyable to watch at the top...Sehwag with brute aggression n Amla with wristwork and cover drives
Dravids batting quite enjoyable n KP has the x factor...If I am playing against Aussies anywhere anytime...I wld get laxman in...
For bowling would be treat to see dale styen /Jimmy Anderson/Akram...Nightmare to face on green top wth their swing n dry surface with reverse swing...would be exiting to see some one ball 150 km/hr...so got in Lee
Gilly at no 6..Warne at can spin on any surface
No SL/NZ/WI/ZIm players :(...altough was close one between gilly and Andy flower
I was so temped to bring Ganguly/Ranatunga just for captaincy, as I like to have aggressive captains..but I feel warne wld make great one..so warny as captain
I guess below team should be effective on any pitch and any condition (dry/bouncy/green top) -->

Sehwag/Mark Waugh
Amla
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kevin peterson
Hussey/Laxman
Gilly (wkt and vc)
Brett Lee/kumble (if we r playing in sub continent)
Jimmy Anderson/Wasim Akram
Shane warne (c)
Dale Styen

Overrated - James Tredwell, people keep saying he's a great death bowler,.it's only because his previous 8 overs went for so many that his last 2 look so bloody good.

Underrated - Neil Fairbrother? A great player who held together a great Lancashire team of the time but never really got a chance with England.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.