Motorhome life?

We bought a 1975 VW import from Oz (RHD) used it for 6 years and sold it back for what we paid. Then bought a Transit fully converted in 2015 for 40k. We use it regularly mainly in the UK but we do get over to France when we can.
It’s done 22k miles so we should get a good price when we sell it. Similar spec to a VW Cali but 20k cheaper. Totally reliable and small enough to use as a second vehicle.
Every year I suggest we head off in it and give up work etc (I’m 60) and every year we find a reason why we can’t.

A friend of mine did this maybe 20 years ago when it was very cheap to have a pitch. She loved it to begin with but soon yearned for more space and got cabin fever (she was on her own too so imagine a couple living in it) and then the winter came.......
Very cold.....
She bought it for like £42,000 and the same dealer bought it back 9 months later (and not many more miles on it) for $29K

I had a good shag in it though (and like to think she did too ;)
"She" didn't. I haven't shat right since.

Sounds great. Not sure about it in reality.
Met a bloke in france who retired at 60 and dedicated himself and Mrs to driving around Europe until he drops (hopefully, hes not behind the wheel at the time). Fair play if you love that lifestyle.
I think the novelty would wear off within a year.
People here in Oz retire sell or rent out their house and buy an RV or caravan. They then just spend their lives driving round Australia, north to the tropics in winter, south in summer. They're known as grey nomads.
Apparently, there's thousands of them. There's a lot of free camp sites outside of towns but near deserted beaches etc.

These things have shot up in price since covid though and I believe nowadays you can do it in a car staying at motels for the same-ish price, when you factor in buying the caravan/RV, needing a big vehicle to tow it, increased petrol, insurance, registration fees, camp sites that aren't free in towns are about 30 quid a night.

People here in Oz retire sell or rent out their house and buy an RV or caravan. They then just spend their lives driving round Australia, north to the tropics in winter, south in summer. They're known as grey nomads.
Apparently, there's thousands of them. There's a lot of free camp sites outside of towns but near deserted beaches etc.

These things have shot up in price since covid though and I believe nowadays you can do it in a car staying at motels for the same-ish price, when you factor in buying the caravan/RV, needing a big vehicle to tow it, increased petrol, insurance, registration fees, camp sites that aren't free in towns are about 30 quid a night.
Same here

A friend of mine did this maybe 20 years ago when it was very cheap to have a pitch. She loved it to begin with but soon yearned for more space and got cabin fever (she was on her own too so imagine a couple living in it) and then the winter came.......
Very cold.....
She bought it for like £42,000 and the same dealer bought it back 9 months later (and not many more miles on it) for $29K

I had a good shag in it though (and like to think she did too ;)
So she bought it in pounds from the dealer and then the dealer bought it back in dollars, did she drive it across the Atlantic?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.