Munich Chants

Re: The club should start banning them..

bluebc said:
BlueTony said:
Just to play devils (fergiescums) advocate why don't the scum get similar shit for singing about Hillsborough or Hysel?

do they sing it as often as us and as loud, do they also refer to liverpool fans/players as heysels or hillsboroughs ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/liverpool-v-manchester-united-youth-tie-marred-by-hillsborough-abuse-2241276.html

Liverpool v Manchester United youth tie marred by Hillsborough abuse

PA

Monday, 14 March 2011

Aldridge labelled the abuse at Anfield as 'vile'

Former Liverpool striker John Aldridge has branded the Manchester United fans who sang vile chants about the Hillsborough and Heysel disasters at yesterday's Youth Cup tie at Anfield as "disgusting".

Three United fans were arrested and six ejected from the ground during the match, which the visitors won 3-2 from 2-0 down with both sides having a pair of players sent off.

"I have never seen anything like that before at a youth game and I never want to see anything like it again. It was disgusting," said Aldridge, who was in the team at Hillsborough when 96 Liverpool fans died in 1989.

"You get used to banter from United fans when they come to Anfield but to hear those songs about Heysel and Hillsborough was just horrible.

Aldridge added in the Liverpool Echo: "The level of abuse was absolutely sickening.

"There was evidently a group who had just come to cause problems and I felt sorry for the families in the Manchester United end who just wanted to watch a game of football."

BlueTony said:
Bossman Blue said:
A lot of the posts on here like this are 'shooting the messenger' and ignoring the the point that people in our stadium are prepared to be associated with a song that 'laughs' about the deaths of 23 men. Less than half who were directly associated with manure. 2 were crew, 8 were journalists including Frank Swift. The rest passengers. This was not a private aircraft chartered by manure it had passengers and crew totally unrelated to football in any way. Whats good about singing a song 'cartooning' their trauma?

Just to play devils (fergiescums) advocate why don't the scum get similar shit for singing about Hillsborough or Hysel?

We have to live in the world that we can influence. A chant that demeans the death of anyone is offensive to someone, possibly not me or you depending on whose death it was but someone cares about those who died. We/I cannot do anything about how the media report or what they report other than not buying the paper etc. But as a member of City's fans I can help the club rid itself of these people who drag our name into the gutter. I dont care if others like it or not these chants will be stopped.

Bossman Blue said:
Regular Joe said:
The reporting is out of all proportion to the problem. We all know what motivated the rag Ogden from the Telegraph to make a fuss about it at Blackburn, but to be fair it was sung loud and often at Ewood.

Yesterday the song's one brief appearance quickly fizzled out. Many on here who attended the game didn't even hear it, so why this misreporting from our local paper? No surprise to see Spencer's name all over it. Disappointed in Brennan. I thought he'd overcome his unfortunate club allegiance very well until putting his name to this rag agenda-led drivel.

A lot of the posts on here like this are 'shooting the messenger' and ignoring the the point that people in our stadium are prepared to be associated with a song that 'laughs' about the deaths of 23 men. Less than half who were directly associated with manure. 2 were crew, 8 were journalists including Frank Swift. The rest passengers. This was not a private aircraft chartered by manure it had passengers and crew totally unrelated to football in any way. Whats good about singing a song 'cartooning' their trauma?

I really don't know why Frank Swift's name is mentioned so often in this discussion. As if that has any relevance to the rights and wrongs of singing songs which directly taunt disaster victims. Blatantly and obviously it is wrong to do so. I'm not ignoring that point, I take it for granted that all reasonable people agree with that.

People have argued, misguidedly in my opinion, that to use Munichs as a collective term to describe United and their fans is a different thing (it is) and is therefore acceptable (it's not)... but it has regularly been sung in the Tevez song for a couple of years without anything like the media outcry we are getting now.

My point is that this outcry is agenda-led by rags in the media. It coincides with Yaya putting the ball in their net. They can't take it. It's so blatantly obvious to me.

The game wasn't tarnished by Munich chants, and neither was the game at Ewood.

For more than ten years it has become universally recognised among City fans that (rightly or wrongly) 'Munichs' has become a term to refer to United fans as a collective.

Is it in bad taste?

Yes.

Is it a direct reference to the deaths of dozens of human beings more than 50 years ago?

No.

Pointedly, the genuine Munich chants which explicitly refer to the disaster are extremely rare. In the rare case that one or two (usually pissed) degenerates attempt to start one of the said chants, they're discouraged and 9 times out of 10 it ends there.

Genuine Munich chants are frowned upon, and the majority of our match day going fans wouldn't stand for them within earshot.

Referring to United fans as 'Munichs' is offensive, it's meant to be. It's in bad taste, but the application and the context is key. IMO at least, this has just become another stick to beat our club with, the press are clutching at straws now and it tells.

W<br /><br />-- Mon May 02, 2011 2:18 pm --<br /><br />e're a threat to the monopoly, and they're using anything they can to undermine us.

You might say we shouldn't give them the opportunity, but why should we concede to their demands? If it isn't some fans referring to a club and its fans who've lived off and marketed a tragic accident for more than 50 years (while doing nothing to help the actual victims of the accident) as 'Munichs', then it'll just be something else.

And besides, how do you interpret what can be construed as offensive and then apply it to the point people are being banned from attending games as a result?

Treading a very thin line once we get to that stage in football.

We paid our respects to those who died in Munich 3 years ago. Any genuine disrespect would have surfaced then if it so existed. But it didn't, because our fans, as a majority, aren't the scum we're regularly depicted as in the press.

Worth remembering that when you label other blues X Y Z.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.