My loss of faith in city fans

Re: Re: My loss of faith in city fans

Prestwich_Blue said:
AntManneh31 said:
i have just been arguing with my mate about mancini (me wanting him to stay and saying he's a good manager) and my mate came out with something i didn't think any city fan could be stupid enough to say. bring back sven he was a better manager.........
I posted this the other day.

Sven was a better manager than both Hughes and Mancini. Under him, we had 26 points after 13 games compared to 22 for the other two. Also he had less resource and time to work with.

Thaksin undermined him at about this stage of the season otherwise we could have been top 4.

I believe we'd have won the title by now if he was still here.

He also said in November that "other teams have found us out [that is: closing Elano out of the game made us impotent] and I will need to change our system". He was still playing the same system in May - that's why we went from top four early on to finishing 10th and honestly playing with relegation form. I know Sven never had the money but he simply had no answer to other teams knowing how to play against us and I think that if he stayed, even with the money, he would have us languishing as mid-table mediocrities by now. If he had stayed and not spent the money, we could have been fighting relegation.

The moral of this thread is surely that the City way, that of constantly changing managers, is the worst way to run a club, it is about time we gave a manager a contract and left him to do his job and see what he's brought to the club at the end of a three year spell.
We are just the same old City, if we sack Mancini BEFORE he's finished what he started, I'm just of the opinion now that City need to stop sacking the boss, every year/6 months, it has won us nothing, not even friends for 40 years

blucat599 said:
The moral of this thread is surely that the City way, that of constantly changing managers, is the worst way to run a club, it is about time we gave a manager a contract and left him to do his job and see what he's brought to the club at the end of a three year spell.
We are just the same old City, if we sack Mancini BEFORE he's finished what he started, I'm just of the opinion now that City need to stop sacking the boss, every year/6 months, it has won us nothing, not even friends for 40 years

Our record of sacking managers in the past is irrelevant, I think, apart from in the minds of fans and probably the media.

I've said this before. We became a different club in 2008. If the manager is not right we have to change him. Football is not standing still - it's a unique set of circumstances at the moment which won't last forever. All of our main rivals are not spending.

If we mess around for 3 years flogging a dead horse it could be hugely more difficult to get to the top. I'm not saying sack him now, but if we reach the point where his position looks untenable he's got to go - regardless of the past.

Didsbury Dave said:
blucat599 said:

Our record of sacking managers in the past is irrelevant, I think, apart from in the minds of fans and probably the media.

I've said this before. We became a different club in 2008. If the manager is not right we have to change him. Football is not standing still - it's a unique set of circumstances at the moment which won't last forever. All of our main rivals are not spending.

If we mess around for 3 years flogging a dead horse it could be hugely more difficult to get to the top. I'm not saying sack him now, but if we reach the point where his position looks untenable he's got to go - regardless of the past.
Don't you think though, that it is the single biggest reason why Manchester City FC has been so UNSUCCESSFUL over the last 35 years.
Despite having spent during that time, millions every year, had one of the biggest player turnarounds of any club, every boss wants "his" players, we have spent more money chasing shadows than actually playing football.
At what point do you consider Mancini's job untenable, how can the point have been reached unless we are not at least 4th after out LAST game ?
I don't think our owners are as dumb as the English media like to paint them, it is their investment, they won't want to follow a trail of failure like every previous City regime !!

blucat599 said:
[Don't you think though, that it is the single biggest reason why Manchester City FC has been so UNSUCCESSFUL over the last 35 years.

Not entirely, but partly.

The main reason for our lack of success has been consistent poor leadership at the top of the club. That has manifested itself in the sacking of the wrong managers and very oftent he appointment of the wrong managers. The blind pursuit of Man United has been a factor too.

But the fact that Tony Book should never have been sacked is irrelevant now. Year Dot was 2008. So we've had two managers in two years. All this stuff about a new manager needing his own players is a red herring I'm afraid. We've got a very strong squad and money to burn. There are no managers afforded the luxury of buying a whole team. Their job is to make the best of what they've got.

If he isn't right he has to go. I believe that's how the Sheikh will see it as well. Chelsea has 4 managers in 3 years or something but look at them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if it is, do. Sometimes you've got to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

blucat599 said:

The best thing ever posted on this forum, and something that every City fan should read.

the problem with sven is he has aging backroom staff.......even if sven could have kept going at the top level for another couple of years, i dont think some of his staff would have.

Sven would have had to change his first team coach and/or assistant manager at some stage in the near future.

i know it's worked for some "other" managers to be changing coaches and assistants but i don't think sven will go on much longer once he loses his staff

But the fact that Tony Book should never have been sacked is irrelevant now

As is the fact that Sven was.

I'm of the school that Sven was overrated, virtually all victories were by 1 goal, many against the run of play, he had no Plan B. I still think that had Sven been in Hughes position when ADUG came in we would have been on the brink of relegation rather than 10th at the end that season.

Having said that, I may be wrong but it's all academic now. We should move on and support the current incumbent.

Real Madrid have had 23 managers in the last 20 years, Barcelona 9, AC Milan 13, there is absolutely no evidence at all that keeping the same manager over time affects trophy collection. Arsenal have kept old pot deflector Wenger for how long?
As for faith in City fans, I don't support City's fans I support the team, some of our fans are wonderful people with a great sense of humour others are knuckle dragging morons whom I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire, that's just normal in any walk of life!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.