my tattoo

If I were to get it then I'd get it exactly the same as on the official bage - then there'd be no cock ups ;) the a and the o are slightly different on the official badge but not so much on the third party mock up badge as someone rightly posted. It actually translates more directly into 'arrogance in battle' apparently! Hope you're happy with your new tattoo, looks deeeeecent!

I wouldn't worry to much with the spelling mate as I know loads of other people who spelt it wrong, the spelling looks normal anyway and the tattoo is top mate.

Dragging up my classical education now (I hope Edinburgh know I got my money's worth)....

The badge says Proelia, but according to my Lewis & Short (a dictionary bigger than some houses I've lived in) praelium is alternative spelling of proelium, but only used once. So, maybe not that bad.

Superbia has a lot of meaning. The last Roman king was Tarquinius Superbus, meaning Tarquin the Proud, who was kicked out (and the Republic founded, that kick-started Roman expansion) because he was a bit of a bellend really. Proud in this sense meant haughty, arrogant - so not proud in a good way.

However there are hundreds of references for the superb stem being used to mean pride in a more positive sense, so more an idea of deserved confidence.

I'm now away for a lie down

Re: Re: my tattoo

leithblue said:
Dragging up my classical education now (I hope Edinburgh know I got my money's worth)....

The badge says Proelia, but according to my Lewis & Short (a dictionary bigger than some houses I've lived in) praelium is alternative spelling of proelium, but only used once. So, maybe not that bad.

Superbia has a lot of meaning. The last Roman king was Tarquinius Superbus, meaning Tarquin the Proud, who was kicked out (and the Republic founded, that kick-started Roman expansion) because he was a bit of a bellend really. Proud in this sense meant haughty, arrogant - so not proud in a good way.

However there are hundreds of references for the superb stem being used to mean pride in a more positive sense, so more an idea of deserved confidence.

I'm now away for a lie down

Mate, take a look at umbro's write up and the post I quoted previous to this one please.

Re: Re: my tattoo

Mate, take a look at umbro's write up and the post I quoted previous to this one please.[/quote]

to be honest I'm not too bothered in how folk want to use the motto, its an absolutely dreadful one if you ask me, just talking to myself about the latin

I dont understand why people dont just get the tattoo done using the same font as on the badge, that way it cant go wrong but also looks better and more professional.

Would anybody think about getting a tattoo of the full badge done with some weird wacky design? I doubt it

ManCitizens. said:
I dont understand why people dont just get the tattoo done using the same font as on the badge, that way it cant go wrong but also looks better and more professional.

Would anybody think about getting a tattoo of the full badge done with some weird wacky design? I doubt it

There's quite a few on here got 'interpretations' of the badge, eagle, stars and all.

ManCitizens. said:

My point exactly.

chesney said:
Manchestercitychorlton said:
BlueHubert said:
Sorry to break this to you but I reckon you have a spelling mistake in there.

The City motto is "Superbia in Proelio", you have Superbia en Praelio"

I hope I´m wrong, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I´m not.
It's praelia.
Well that's what it looks like on the badge anyway
ive gone off the badge haha, oh well still love it!

Its ok it now means pride in Bootle lmao

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.