My year on Sertraline.

OP, I don't jnow you from Adam but I would like to say to you that your posts on this thread are some of the most gut-wrenchingly honest and mature i have ever read in here.

I hope you have continued your recovery, and if it isn't too dramatic to say, I reckon your honesty may well have helped other posters on here who may have been struggling.

You're a good man, doing good things, trying to have a good life , and I wish you nothing but the best going forward.

Thanks for posting somapop. After 2 years on Sertraline I'm also contemplating asking the doc about coming off it. Fortunately I've not suffered any real side effects from it so there is no great need to quit but I guess I just want to see if I can take back control myself. Please let us know how you get on? I wish you all the best.
I was put on sertraline about 5 years ago at a time when lots of shitty things all happened at once and it all got a little too much for me. I found it horribly numbing; just completely took the edge off to the point where I lost the ability to care about anything. Yet I was always aware of the effect, which made it worse. Stuck at it for 3 months then came off it.

About 15 years ago I was prescribed fluoxitine to help deal with stress and depression, and found it to be amazing. It just lifted me so much. Anyone who thinks that such ailments shouldn't be medicated is talking out of their arse; yes, counselling and therapy are great, but not always enough on their own.

I’ve not read the whole thread mate and I probably won’t, but I’ve read your original post. Thank you for sharing, I’ve never suffered from anything like you describe and so I can’t really help, but I wish you all the luck, love and happiness in the future. You’re a legend.

I was put on sertraline about 5 years ago at a time when lots of shitty things all happened at once and it all got a little too much for me. I found it horribly numbing; just completely took the edge off to the point where I lost the ability to care about anything. Yet I was always aware of the effect, which made it worse. Stuck at it for 3 months then came off it.

About 15 years ago I was prescribed fluoxitine to help deal with stress and depression, and found it to be amazing. It just lifted me so much. Anyone who thinks that such ailments shouldn't be medicated is talking out of their arse; yes, counselling and therapy are great, but not always enough on their own.
fluoxitine- Some serious shit....

fluoxitine- Some serious shit....
Mine was only a mild dose as my depression wasn't too serious (as much cause by physiological/biological imbalance as it was by stress). But that small amount was enough to really give me a huge lift; honestly, it's hard to think of a time in my life when I felt better. I'd say I felt 'cured' after about a month (helped by taking two weeks off uni and spending Christmas in beautiful west Scotland), but it's not something you can then just come off once you feel better.

My son had just started using sertaline because he's struggled for years with anxiety and depression. This is a brilliant thread, thank you OP.
It’s not for everyone, I had to come off it, lots of help out there, a councillor did me more good in the end, it does take a while to get one but worth it, not sure how good your GP is but it was worth it to me, feel free to pm

Thanks everyone.

Had to go back and scan what I’d read. Seems a long time ago now.
I was actually quite level and happy in 2019, but then again I was still living in the family home. People are different: some are happy being out with friends or going away a lot, but I’ve always like being around my children…this won’t last forever.
My own parents never really went out so we were always together (perhaps why they could afford a decent holiday each year). I do feel that a few of my personal issues are related to losing my Dad at 11 and never really having that father figure, perhaps the adoption thing is there in the back of my mind too.

So earlier this year I finally left the family home and it’s up there with the hardest thing I’ve ever had to go through. I felt sick for weeks. Went to the docs and prescribed sertraline again but I advised that I would keep the prescription and not act on it straight away.
I’d just finished a 4 month intense web development course (full stack/coding) and had a project presentation in front a small auditorium in Manchester. Never, ever been a public speaker and I’ve battled shyness though-out my life. Ironically going through some dark times unravels all this and I’m a different person as of today. Can speak to anyone.

You can (if you allow it) develop a deep empathy with anyone you meet. I don’t judge anyone as you absolutely do not know what they are going through. I know people who I meet ‘out and about’ (which is literally just dog walks at the moment given the pandemic) would not have a clue. I’m generally upbeat and positive and like to bring a smile out in people. It can make our days better.
It’s akin to a power being granted (again, if you let it….let go of any negativity and bitterness as it does fuck all for you but further harm).

I go round a lot to the family home in the evenings and weekends really just doing jobs around the house (I loved that place and as mentioned before, I pretty much refurbed the whole place: rewires, fancy drop ceilings/shadowgap walls with LED’s….speakers in the ceilings, surround sound systems. But I have those skills now so I can use them in the future.
If I hadn’t anything to do there then I’d have less of an excuse to see the kids. It’s hard for them to leave that and stay in my poky one bed flat. It’s hard but it’s made clear if I’m not doing anything around there then there’s no reason I should be there (it’s falling a bit into repair as the ex doesn’t really care about a nice garden etc…you get the picture). Recently sanded the front door and large drive gate to repaint…re-felted the shed roof.
Also built my daughter a huge guinea pig run outside the shed and then a 4 story hutch (with perspex glass windows, stairs for them). Again, meant I was round there with them as it took a while.

A couple of weeks back I noticed she was being really pleasant with me (I’m always on call if she gets unstuck - appliances broken, things need picking up). Turns out she’d finished with her bloke (2 1/2 years) although she never told me.
A week later she mentioned I had to leave that evening as someone was coming over….I asked if it was ‘James’ (ex - name changed). “No, but it’s none of your business”. I asked my son, he didn’t know.
She found out I’d asked and in no uncertain terms, mentioned that if I ever asked him again I wouldn’t be able to visit again.

Turns out she’d met a guy online one week before and then already he was staying over in the family house….surely the fuck as a parent I’d want to know who was staying over? She explained this was the love of her life and someone who she wants to spend the rest of her life with….and has told that to me and her recent ex.

They went away this weekend (I stayed at the family home) and I was retuning from picking my boy up from his friends on Sunday they turned up at the same time. She ran up and said as he’s going to be round a lot longer now he wants to me…I politely declined the offer (does that request sound a little off?). She’s 49 he’s 59 (and his ex wife is 69). Age difference isn’t an issue but I was expecting a George Clooney in a Maserati but instead I see (on FB later that day) Mel from Benidorm in his clapped out clothes and car (on the grapevine I heard she thinks he’s loaded…perhaps he is and just hoards it).
The fridge was full of his shit beer and I suspect he likes a drink.
If he’s not around and I’m there she’ll be on the phone to him for hours…it’s really odd. Similar vibe to when people fall in love with serial killers after visiting them in prison.

My autistic daughter isn’t too good at the moment, but I worry about my son. It’s hard for me to assert myself as a parent…she holds all the cards. Found out his homework wasn’t handed in this morning (I always do it with him but as I’m not always there this can be neglected.
I don’t want to paint too harsh a picture of her btw. I’m in no way trying to score points or revel in whatever state she is in, but part of me is worried about her…

It’s all very twilight zone and has left me feeling very unnerved, but it won’t make me unwell. I’ve come too far for that and surprised myself with the strength I’ve found. I was walking the dog (my daughter’s technically) which I still do every night and feeling emotional. I’m sure the dog picked up on this as it nuzzled/stroked it’s head in my hands which made me smile and lifted me instantly…real moment.

My mother isn’t too good art the moment she lives 60 miles away). Slow dive into dementia. I nearly break up after speaking with her. It’s like I’m losing her…she sounds the same but not quite there. With that and the recent behaviour from the ex my life is very tender and strange at the moment. Again, if you met me in the street it would appear I have everything going for me.

Things are not good financially either but I can live quite frugally quite contently. As mentioned above, once that course had finished the plan was to get a job in web dev….but then CV19 kicked in to really add to my year.

However, I’ve used all this lonely living to diversify my learning and I enrolled on several course related to the section of the tech industry I could really see myself thrive in. I joined Linkedin and current have over 1000 contacts (and I’m not really a ‘Linkedin’ person) but I’ve been amazed at the generosity of the people out there (certainly in the industry). I’ve made some very good mentors and now friends (it’s a numbers game like everything - I had to say hello to over 900 people in order to find the right people). I now have a roadmap (cv and portfolio) that should be ready by the weekend so I then start hammering the applications. I’ve got interest already and that was before my PF was ready. Anyone who works in web tech PM me…always looking for further advice

All this focus has helped me through this utterly crazy year.
I run a lot (now planning for a marathon next year), don’t really drink and staved off the meds (but I’d advocate them as an initial route for anyone who really needs them).

That last date back in 2019 on the first post went well. She was incredibly beautiful and we had a second date but ultimately it wasn’t quite there. I wasn’t quite there…and it’s been an interesting journey finding myself, pushing my limits and getting comfortable in ones own skin (which is incredibly important).

Apols for the long read….I’ll stick a TL:DR up at one stage. It might be full of typos and bad grammar...but I can't go through all this now.

Feel free to PM if you need to talk but I do know this forum has some incredible people and I thank you all for that.

I've just started these today, not sure if its placebo or not but feel absolutely fucked after just one! Had a tough couple of years, its not been permanently bad. Left a terrible job earlier this year and got a better (but not perfect) job in the summer. I think I had a panic attack in there on Wednesday and had to be brought home, I've absolutely no stress tolerance or resilience. Because I've been so subconsciously anxious it has effected my performance significantly, they probably think im a chancer gaming the system but the truth is that any request or basic thing sends me into a fight or flight mode. If it was a shit environment then fair enough but on the rare occasions my rational brain comes through, I can tell that this is a good opportunity that doesn't really infringe on my personal time or life aside from the crippling imaginary pressures that exist in my head. I don't want to keep burning through roles.

I have been on Sertraline for about 4 years now.

It all started when I split up with (kicked out) by my daughters mother. She kicked me out of the house i pay for and I went from doing everything with my little girl (From now on i'll call her G) to seeing her two nights a week.
I moved back in with my parents at 31.

It was shit, I hated it. I hit depression and I was having anxiety too. Whenever G would be with me she would be texting me constantly giving me orders. I had two jobs at the time, and sometimes I would be working the night I had her. She would be messaging me telling me i'm a shit dad etc.

I met my now wife in the April (split up with the ex in October) and it was great. Only one problem, I had trust issues and I hated being on my own. I found myself going to worst case scenario for everything. She went to vegas and San Francisco and I had a breakdown. Went to the docs and was given Sertraline. I also opted for CBT therapy via my private healthcare.

Both of these worked and I'm in a much better place with my anxiety and no depression. I still have my moments when I have G. I worry and panic too much. But i chalk it down to being a father.

The ejaculation and sex drive stuff went away for me after a couple of weeks. The night sweats were the worst!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.