Napoli Vs City Post Match Discussion Thread

PSmyth07 said:
With Dzeko and Balotelli up top, why are we so reluctant to play long balls to bypass the 11 men they had behind the ball?

"Zabaleta to Kompany, over to Lescott, De Jong passes to Kolarov who goes back to Hart..............."

Because they sit deep. If you just chuck the ball forward the 2 front men will get bossed. The reason we pass it around isn't because we don't know what to do but because the onus is on Napoli to come forward opening gaps to pass into.

You have to be disciplined playing these teams not just chuck the ball forward and lose it. They punished us only when they had the ball so why give it to them so easily?

Stevo717 said:
Can i just say i think this shows the importance of a good atmosphere, that game looked an intense hostile enviroment to play in and i think we can learn alot from the noise they generate. im not suggesting we set fireworks/flares of in the ground or anything like that but i think more should be done to make it a more hostile enviroment to play as an away team like the whole ground singing rather than just the 2 sections either side of the away fans ..... Just Saying

I agree with this, as San Paolo is the 12th player for us. Everybody should sing.

If you go to the stadium you need to be active, otherwise stay home and watch it on confy sofa

Both legs were fantastic to watch and what you want to see in Champions League games, you were quite unlucky last night and dominated in parts. Tough group to start your maiden Champions League, but that draw at home with Napoli has proved costly.

Comrade Buka said:
inGavious said:
we play 4-3-3, with the defensive option to go 4-5-1. problem is when we have the ball we end up going 2-1-4-3 with both full backs attacking. lose the ball and its 3-4 on 2 center-backs.

Apparently you are not familiar with defensive mids slotting into the fullback position when the fullback steams forward.

Apparently you aren't familiar that if there's only one defensive mid, cos Yaya, Milner and Silva are all in the final third, the NDJ cant abandon the center mid to cover the fullback. You need two defensive mids, ie Barry and NDJ

Comrade Buka said:
You are also apparently not familiar with the fact that both fullbacks do not go forward at the same time.

you are also apparently not familiar that when 3 Napoli players are attacking 2 center-backs and the closest City player is the defensive mid, tells you that they do ... not all the time ..... but they do. did the first game, did it last night. ..... just saying.

inbetween said:
PSmyth07 said:
With Dzeko and Balotelli up top, why are we so reluctant to play long balls to bypass the 11 men they had behind the ball?

"Zabaleta to Kompany, over to Lescott, De Jong passes to Kolarov who goes back to Hart..............."

Because they sit deep. If you just chuck the ball forward the 2 front men will get bossed. The reason we pass it around isn't because we don't know what to do but because the onus is on Napoli to come forward opening gaps to pass into.

You have to be disciplined playing these teams not just chuck the ball forward and lose it. They punished us only when they had the ball so why give it to them so easily?

Well we didn't play long balls and still gave them possession easily. Sometimes you have to change it, force the issue.

Napoli rely on creating a large space between the oppo defence and midfield. Then they press and break quickly into a yawning chasm. It seems Serie A defences have adapted and nullified this threat. We need to have someone sitting permanently to do this. A fully fit, totally reliable Hargreaves would fit the bill perfectly

mike channon´s windmill said:
Napoli rely on creating a large space between the oppo defence and midfield. Then they press and break quickly into a yawning chasm. It seems Serie A defences have adapted and nullified this threat. We need to have someone sitting permanently to do this. A fully fit, totally reliable Hargreaves would fit the bill perfectly

It's all about keeping possession and not turning over the ball so cheaply.

On behalf of the REAL Napoli supporters, I want to say sorry for the citizens thad had some little problems in our city.
You know, its enough for few bad people (I'd call them criminals) to ruin a reputation of an entire city or group of supporters.

For the rest of you I hope you enjoyed the "Dante's inferno" atmosphere created by the 60.000 people that were at the Stadio San Paolo :)

Juventino said:
mike channon´s windmill said:

It's all about keeping possession and not turning over the ball so cheaply.

its something i bang on about constantly to anyone who will listen. possession is king at this level of football.

Some City fans seem to have the "we'll beat everyone" attitude these days. Anyone who saw the Napoli game at the Etihad knew this was going to be a very, very good side City were facing and in their own back yard too, a tough game. On last nights coverage Platt was interviewed at half time and, quite rightly pointed out what City had done wrong in the eyes of the coaching staff in the first half, said they'd addressed it in the dressing room and given advice on how to go out and play the second half. Unfortunately the players didn't follow those instructions or Napoli when not in possession made it difficult to follow them. When City come up against a quality team like last nights opponents there will always be some fans banging on about who should, shouldn't have played, how tactics were wrong etc, etc. On the night, beaten by a better side. I thought they'd done their homework and stuck to a gameplan that had clearly worked for them in Manchester, City got caught in possession and gave the ball away while under pressure and paid the price. We're never going to go out every game and batter teams, I thought Napoli were very good home and away and the arrogant attitude of some City fans I find hard to swallow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.