Nastasic

forevermancity said:
mcfc2607 said:
you dont need speed if you read the game so well. like maldini once said " if i have to make a last ditch slide tackle, i know i'm not doing my job right. or something on those lines.

you only need speed if your shit and its your ace to get you out of trouble. imo of course.

Very good point to be fair, but the prem seems to be built around pace nowadays and it seems like a neccessity, unlike seria a. really hope I'm wrong.
Its Micah's get out of jail card regularly, but up against the best it doesn't work, see Bayern where he was regularly between a rock and a hard place. As a fullback he will still get away with it unless its against the best.

Nasty reads the game well, so doesn't get caught out that often, and pace at centre back is less important than at fullback, though his age means he's still not as secure as he could be, but generally centre backs improve with age until they are late 20's, so I'm not worried, he's already very good, and experience will only improve him.

I do think he needs to be left out after bad games though, he's young enough to learn from that.

mcfc2607 said:
you dont need speed if you read the game so well. like maldini once said " if i have to make a last ditch slide tackle, i know i'm not doing my job right. or something on those lines.

you only need speed if your shit and its your ace to get you out of trouble. imo of course.
I've always said that too !

cleavers said:
forevermancity said:
mcfc2607 said:

Very good point to be fair, but the prem seems to be built around pace nowadays and it seems like a neccessity, unlike seria a. really hope I'm wrong.
Its Micah's get out of jail card regularly, but up against the best it doesn't work, see Bayern where he was regularly between a rock and a hard place. As a fullback he will still get away with it unless its against the best.

Nasty reads the game well, so doesn't get caught out that often, and pace at centre back is less important than at fullback, though his age means he's still not as secure as he could be, but generally centre backs improve with age until they are late 20's, so I'm not worried, he's already very good, and experience will only improve him.

I do think he needs to be left out after bad games though, he's young enough to learn from that.

Sorry, have to disagree with this. If every time he makes a mistake he gets dropped, well his confidence will be shot.
He needs regular game time, against the best sides, to pick up the experience required.
He already looks a cracking prospect and am sure will get better. I can count his bad games on a couple of fingers.
Also we have had injury problems in this position, which can't have helped a very young player.

I rate Nastasic very highly and plays like a bloke much older than 20, I agree he could be our centre half for over a decade, but he does lack pace. Not so much of a problem alongside Kompany, and he will only get better at reading the game, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, just a shame he doesn't have that extra yard of pace.

I rate Lescott too but he has same problem, he also isn't nearly as good on the ball as Nastasic, and the days of big strong centre halves who can't pass water seem to have gone

To all those saying he lacks pace, what are you gleaning that from? He rarely has to run at full tilt because he's rarely out of position. However, watch Villa's 3rd goal again, as the ball bounces past Nastasic and Kompany they both turn to chase Weimann back and Nasty outstrips Kompany and nearly gets to the ball before it crosses the line whilst Vinnie's given up. Also, if you can find it, have a watch of the Champions League home game from last season vs Madrid. There was a 40 yard chase between Nastasic and Ronaldo and Nasty got to the ball first.

If a centre back truly is top class, he should never have to sprint.

Faster doesn't make you better. But for the ones who say Nastasic has no pace i.e. is slow, please let us know the names of the centrebacks that are faster. You are even allowed to look outside the PL. And please show some facts. Imo it's plain rubbish to suggest such thing, but I can't prove he is slow nor fast.

Our defence is expected to defend much higher up the field than they used to do under Mancini. Meaning our defenders need to read the game better to cover through passes in space left behind their backs.

Guy is quality. is 20 so his game won't be perfect yet, but has shown enough signs of top, top quality that he's worth sticking through any problems. If we Play it right he could be one of the best in 2/3 years time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.