Nathan Ake

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_pzmwoiTwKq1tf8a5ao2_500.gifv

One of the great saves in my opinion.
It’s a terrific save, never tired of watching that tbh!

I do agree though, shot stopping isn’t Eddies best attribute, if we could amalgamate Harts shot stopping with Eddies passing/confidence we’d have the perfect keeper

It’s a terrific save, never tired of watching that tbh!

I do agree though, shot stopping isn’t Eddies best attribute, if we could amalgamate Harts shot stopping with Eddies passing/confidence we’d have the perfect keeper
A the start of the season he was a match winner in so many games.

I would not swop him with anyone at this time, quality player and quality man.

His height isn’t a problems because he can jump 3 foot in the air

Yeah Akés jumping reminds me a bit of... Ronaldo? I’d like to see more stats about his jumping. Off to google.

Me and my mates were having a debate last night around wether Ake has been purchased with a view to him playing LB as well as CB.

I am of the opinion he is a CB not a LB but a few of my mates reckon he's been bought to cover both LB AND CB.

We clearly need an established LB.

Mendy is the established LB and I have strong doubts Pep would sell him now. Buying another established LB would mean a primary competition between Mendy and the new guy. The club is still out for Laportes partner. And Laporte staying injury-free a whole season, where do you see Aké get a chance?

For me it’s clear he will play multiple positions. I doubt he would have come just as backup as he’s good enough to start for most teams.

Remember seeing him play DM in a game think it was against Spurs and he was immense. Granted it was only one game but maybe we will use him there. I did read an article somewhere where he said he prefers playing midfield and thinks it’s his best position.

I think he'll improve us significantly, he looks a very accomplished defender and like many Dutch players very good technically too. I don't think his being under 6 ft matters, he's still decent in the air and wins plenty of headers. I reckon he might weigh in with a few goals too, but more importantly he's quick and reads the game well.

Great signing in my opinion. Half the price of Maguire and twice the player.
Yep agree with this he`s a very good player

I don't worry about the price too much. Yes we've spent a lot on defenders over the years, but the return has been pretty good. 4 League titles, 5 League Cups, 2 FA Cups. We've made enough money as a club to be able to keep trying to improve the defence.

Liverpool forever go on about net spend. But they've spent for 30 years trying to win the title. You can't just look at their current back 4/5 and say how great value it is. What about all the other players they've bought trying to win the league title? Similarly, net spend doesn't take into account the return on investment. Ultimately, as shite as Maguire is United have finished in the top 4 so the revenue as a result will write off that transfer fee. They were Europa last season and the step up is worth a fortune. There's the commercial revenue as well as prize money to think about. City might have spent a shit tonne on defenders but we've stayed in the top 4 and have been fighting for trophies every season.

Selling players at their peak isn't always the best thing to do either, and that's what you have to do if you want to get a decent net spend. When City get criticised for their spending in the transfer market, it should be qualified against what increase in revenue the club has made in that time too.

That is your opinion but i disagree totally. He is already at that standard and has shown his ability to read the game at the higherst level i feel. The nostalgia clouds your judgement imo. Laporte does it in a high intensity league where the level of opposition meets or exeeds that of anything Maldini faced. Would he cut it now, certainly but i stil feel we would be splitting hairs.

I respect your opinion but i feel often nostalgia is a silent bias. The cut and thrust of the prem this day would see Maldini having to prove himself as much as Laporte or VVD game in game out. I suppose the hard question would be who would you prefer, personally i'd keep Laporte but would be happy with Maldini to. They have similar effects on their team imo with Laporte just not getting the attention Maldini did.

Edit: sorry for the offtopic, happy to take this to the Laporte thread, it's a good debate.

Yeah sorry didn't even remember it was an Ake thread by the time I posted.

I don't know how to teleport our thread to the Laporte one but accept and likewise respect it's your opinion and there is lots I could write about this and as you say difficult to make direct comparisons from different eras and playing style, but on a national level Maldini played 126 times for Italy and I think Laporte has less than 5 caps (I know Dechamps has played a part in that) - Maldini was instrumental in winning 5 European cups (playing against higher intensity opposition) - I'm just delighted we are in a position to compare any City player with Maldini and he may get there with what he has shown so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.