Navas

Status
Not open for further replies.
conormcfc said:
NipHolmes said:
conormcfc said:
There's nothing controversial in what I posted tbh. World class players affect games with much more regularity than someone like Navas.

My definition of world class is when you're in the top 4/5 players in the world in your position. Please give me a time period where you think he's been amongst the top 5 wingers on the planet, because he's definitely not at the moment. There's at least 15 wingers I could think of that I think are better than him, how could I call someone world class that I don't think is in the top 15 in their own position?

Navas has never been in that class. He's an impact player at this level. Hope he starts to have more effect on games and he changes my opinion of him but from what I've seen from him at Sevilla and his first few games here I don't think it will happen.

You do realise that Real Madrid wanted him to initially replace an outgoing Di Maria don't you?

The lad is the best winger in the league at the moment, no doubt about it. Ben Arfa pushes close with moments of magic but when Navas is on the field I always believe we are a threat on the break. The lad is RAPID and has a great delivery. Just you wait till he fully gels and the attackers can predict where he will deliver the ball. 20+ assists beckon.

Spains best wingers are Pedro and him. He often gets played and he has made his big move. Give him this season before judging because staying at Seville hindered his C.V to date imo.
People have said it before and I'll say it again. If Real Madrid had wanted him, he'd be at Real Madrid.

I hope he does get 20+ assists. I just don't think he will.

Koke has started to edge ahead of him in recent games and will take his spot soon I reckon. Spain don't have many great wide options at the moment anyway. Would he get into Germany/Brazil/Argentina's squads? Not for me.

He'd get into them for certain.

He'd start for Argentina and off that I am certain. Lavezzi is better as a second striker than out-wide, I like him as a player but he cuts in too much and a winger for Argentina should look to err on the side of common sense and feed Aguero and Messi as they are both deadly finishers.

He loved his club and didn't want to move to another league competitor. He was truly happy where he was but took a chance as many of his compatriots have, we are a comfortable move for him due to this.

Playing time is an issue I am sure. We screamed out for a player like him so he made the right move.

I think Navas would be a great fit for Bayern as it goes. His work ethic and pace complements what they have, comparing him to Robben and Ribery is unfair because they are not only great players (both in top10 in world imo) but have played for a club where winning things is much easier to do than with a team like Seville.

Give him this season before stating facts as up to yet he's not been afforded the same platform.

Sturridge scored 19 in 25 games I think, would that make him world class? World class in my eyes is dragging a team forward and making things happen. Navas gives us an extra dimension and our attackers look like they have more space which is a great consequence of his play.

Like I said, give him a season for a final judgement.

NipHolmes said:
conormcfc said:
NipHolmes said:
You do realise that Real Madrid wanted him to initially replace an outgoing Di Maria don't you?

The lad is the best winger in the league at the moment, no doubt about it. Ben Arfa pushes close with moments of magic but when Navas is on the field I always believe we are a threat on the break. The lad is RAPID and has a great delivery. Just you wait till he fully gels and the attackers can predict where he will deliver the ball. 20+ assists beckon.

Spains best wingers are Pedro and him. He often gets played and he has made his big move. Give him this season before judging because staying at Seville hindered his C.V to date imo.
People have said it before and I'll say it again. If Real Madrid had wanted him, he'd be at Real Madrid.

Koke has started to edge ahead of him in recent games and will take his spot soon I reckon. Spain don't have many great wide options at the moment anyway. Would he get into Germany/Brazil/Argentina's squads? Not for me.

He'd start for Argentina and off that I am certain. Lavezzi is better as a second striker than out-wide, I like him as a player but he cuts in too much and a winger for Argentina should look to err on the side of common sense and feed Aguero and Messi as they are both deadly finishers.

He loved his club and didn't want to move to another league competitor. He was truly happy where he was but took a chance as many of his compatriots have, we are a comfortable move for him due to this.

Playing time is an issue I am sure. We screamed out for a player like him so he made the right move.

I think Navas would be a great fit for Bayern as it goes. His work ethic and pace complements what they have, comparing him to Robben and Ribery is unfair because they are not only great players (both in top10 in world imo) but have played for a club where winning things is much easier to do than with a team like Seville.

Give him this season before stating facts as up to yet he's not been afforded the same platform.

Sturridge scored 19 in 25 games I think, would that make him world class? World class in my eyes is dragging a team forward and making things happen. Navas gives us an extra dimension and our attackers look like they have more space which is a great consequence of his play.

Good post.

World Class? Depends what that means, but he's better tan many in that list eg Schurrle and Lamela

I've thought of another wide player in the Premiership whose on a par with him: Nani. But from what I have seen Navas is better defensively

NipHolmes said:
conormcfc said:
NipHolmes said:

I completely disagree, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Lavezzi has been one of their key players in the last year playing from a wide position. Navas would do nothing for Messi or Aguero, two players that thrive off balls into feet in and around the edge of the box. They don't even play on the same side anyway, Navas would be replacing Di Maria in that team (which would be ridiculous).

I don't think he'd fit into Bayern's side whatsoever. They play with a system where the wingers play with their body faced side on to the pitch so that they can cut inside onto their stronger foot and link up with the midfielders. Navas is a right footed head down and run player that plays on the right side, I think he'd be completely out of his depth in that team. In Ribery, Robben, Muller, Gotze and Shaqiri (who slipped my mind earlier), Bayern actually have 5 players who I think have more quality and are more suited to that team than Navas.

When we play against Bayern, the difference was very clear between our attacking midfielders and their attacking midfielders.

Marvin said:
NipHolmes said:
conormcfc said:

Good post.

World Class? Depends what that means, but he's better tan many in that list eg Schurrle and Lamela

I've thought of another wide player in the Premiership whose on a par with him: Nani. But from what I have seen Navas is better defensively

Nani on his day which is like a ratio of 1/10 it seems is absolutely stunning. The other games he is a wasted member of the 11 selected players. Valencia is their best striker and most similar to Navas out their bunch imo. He normally is a good player and as is the case with Navas, good at dropping back.

Nani normally pulls the same move off, he goes out wide to the line, has a look up and makes a 15 yard move sideways and unleashes as venomous hit and hope. Of course when it goes in it's all hugs and kisses from his team-mates but when he doesn't, as so often is the case, they look at him with daggers or shout and point to their feet and available space around them. Nani is a luxury player I feel, I compare him with Ben Arfa, but Ben Arfa's hit and hopes go in more. Ben Arfa is more direct and takes on a player with a view of getting that ball in the box. Injuries aside he is a great player, he'd be great for them imo.

I will throw this out there.
How many of us fans feel more confident with Navas being selected?
Do you feel he makes us a more counter-attacking threat on the break (which was far too slow last season)?
Do you agree that our attacking players have been afforded more space and clearer-chances as consequence of his play?

If the answer is yes to any of those then great, if you say yes to all of them then it proves my point that he's a very good player. Not many players join a team that won the league and finished runner up over last two seasons and lift their quality and potency like he has.

The only downside of our play so far is the two man midfield. We are a great attacking outfit but way to vulnerable to counters and three-man midfields. The hard choice in my opinion is whether to drop 1 of the front two to accommodate the depper role. Who's being dropped out of Aguero, Dzeko and Negredo (possibly Jovetic to add). Too many non-starters there.

Marvin said:
I've explained what my definition of world class is. This discussion started because someone said that he was 'proven world class'. I'd love to see some verification behind that statement.

What are you basing it on that he's better than those 2 players? Because performance/consistency/productivity wise those 2 have been far better, certainly in the last 18 months (and they're only 21 and 22 so pretty much since their top flight careers began).

Again 2nite navas had a quiet game, for me he just doesn't use is speed to is advantage. I fink we shud just use him as an impact player for now

Navas is a bit like Nasri in that he lacks a ruthless streak.

At times that helps, at times it works against us.

Once again, I'm disappointed with his output. He did win a couple corners, a free kick, and tracked back importantly, but apart from that, he didn't do much.

I said before he came, I was not convinced enough with his quality to be a "guaranteed" starter for us, and that I saw him more as an impact sub. Still stand by those words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.