Netherlands v England - Wed 10th July, 20:00 | Euro 2024 Semi-Final

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
'Twas always thus. The only difference is the people who feel that way today versus yesteryear.

Been on both ends of the scale, albeit not international footballer/movie star level, and yet the constants remain…some shake their dust at the good fortune of others, and some shake their head at their own good fortune.

Personally, I chose Uni over signing a pro soccer contract at Leeds Utd. There might have been a few wistful thoughts of what might have been, but the odds are stacked so heavily against you that relying on my brain and hard work seemed like the much better alternative…and that finally worked out.

One of the things I have noticed, and I’m not saying this is the case for you, is that those people who thought it was cool to ditch school, mess around when they were there, or simply couldn’t buckle down, and thus slipped through the cracks of the education system, leaving them without the foundation needed for success. From there, it’s easy to get discouraged, even though it’s not too late to change the trajectory of one’s life. I, myself, am on my third, very different, “career” (football, finance, aviation), but I was always a big believer in “the only difference between me and the person doing whatever I wanted to do was hard work/effort and the education/knowledge needed,” which led to me quitting my finance job (and my wife quitting her job, too!) and going back to Uni.

All that is meant to portray is that even many successful people have been in your shoes, feeling like they couldn’t make ends meet, yet have reset the trajectory of their lives. In your case, perhaps it’s not even the trajectory of your life, as it might be very fulfilling but just not as financially secure as you might like. However, you have the power to make a positive change.

It’s never easy, and one can find myriad reasons why you can’t do it. But, if there’s one way you can, even if (as in my case) it means taking out student loans and investing in yourself and your ability to do the hard work necessary, then it is possible and doable.

There are always going to be extremes, like the multimillionaire uneducated footballer or movie star who make far in excess of what their intellect would command elsewhere, but they’re not only not the norm, but they distort our norms. They are such outliers they can warp reality.

My wife has a saying, which I’m certain is not hers originally, which states, “Do not let comparison rob you of joy” or “Don’t let comparison be the thief of your joy.” In short, there are always going to be those with more, bigger, better, but we can’t have the yardstick of our own joy be the excesses of others.

Lastly, and I’ve said this before, Bono of U2 explained the difference between Ireland and America in one observation.

And Irishman walking past the mansion of the hill shakes his fist and states, “That fucker! He must have screwed everybody to get that mansion!” The American walks past that same mansion and states, “One day, with a little time and lots of hard work, that’ll be me in that mansion!”

We all choose how we view our own lives and the success of others, and if we are going to compare ourselves to everyone we meet. Make a positive choice. Make your life better in some small way, every day.

To each their own, but don’t measure yourself by the outsized success of others, or blame disparity for robbing you of daily joy. Rather, realize who you are, where you are, and actively wonder if tomorrow can be better in some small way.

Peace and be well.
Bono’s a gobshite.

Do you know how the ranking system works?

If you repeatedly qualify for tournaments and then reach the latter stages, you get "seeded" and are drawn against lower ranked teams. England repeatedly qualify for tournaments - the last one we didn't qualify for was 2008 - and recently, have been in a semi final and a final. If you go from 1998 until 2024 without actually qualifying, and you're entire history without getting beyond the group stage of a tournament, you're likely to be drawn against the very same seeded teams. It makes sense when you understand how it works.
I think Germany, Spain and France have all won things, repeatedly, whereas you’re a Russian linesman away from winning fuck all. How did they all end up in the hardest route? You’re lucky and jammy when groups are allocated and the route if the draw you end up in. There’s no way you’re in the same ieague as the above 3.

Watching Spain right now, whoever gets them in the final are getting handed their arse.

As for us, we aren’t at the races, neither are you ability wise. Every one of your games have been an instant cure for insomnia. You probably noticed. All I’m saying is on your displays, if you hadn’t been drawn against second rate teams, relatively, you woukd never have got through. You have to know that.

Oh I do know how it works, but, again, you have won fuck all for 60 years and that took a goal that was never a goal. If I supported any of Germany, France or Spain I would be asking questions. You mentioned getting to the semi finals and final, you played fuck all on the way to both of them too.

You’re lucky and it makes you look like contenders, but when you look at who you actually beat, it’s falls apart. Do you actually think your team is in the same bracket as the best here?

You confuse having the best ieague in the world with you being up there. What is it the best teams have in relation to English players? Two if you’re lucky? It’s the best because you can afford to bring the best, take them away and your ieague is nothing.

Need to end it, Southgate in talking and I’m starting to feel queasy. Good luck tomorrow night. Let’s hope it lasts.

but you're ok with cheering on players for city on 500k a week ?
You know what the ratio of 'revenue* to players wages' is for City and West Ham?
Maybe do a little research. It's easy to fall into the press hyperbole without even realising you're spuds deep in it.

* Obviously, our revenues are manufactured, so you've a great big comfort asterisk to flop back on, there.

You know what the ratio of 'revenue* to players wages' is for City and West Ham?
Maybe do a little research. It's easy to fall into the press hyperbole without even realising you're spuds deep in it.

* Obviously, our revenues are manufactured, so you've a great big comfort asterisk to flop back on, there.

The point being someone was disgusted by how much some on the panelists earn and how he begrudges that when he struggles to pay bills.

I wondered if he felt the same to the players he supports who earn huge amounts per week.

Watching Spain right now, whoever gets them in the final are getting handed their arse.

Maybe, not sure we need to read the same thing on repeat.

Cup finals can go either way.
Spain second half allowed France so many chances.

Who knows.

Will worry about Holland first!

The point being someone was disgusted by how much some on the panelists earn and how he begrudges that when he struggles to pay bills.

I wondered if he felt the same to the players he supports who earn huge amounts per week.
I'm not baiting you, but you, as all folk do, automatically throw out the usual tropes about moneybags City players.
Shame they are paid so lavishly from Ill gained revenues to an empty stadium ;)

I'm not baiting you, but you, as all folk do, automatically throw out the usual tropes about moneybags City players.
Shame they are paid so lavishly from Ill gained revenues to an empty stadium ;)

I’m happy to throw it at my own club! Players are on 100/200k (whatever) before add ons and sponsorship deals , obscene money nowadays for all PL clubs.

It was aimed at those who complain and begrudge the money in football but happy to cheer and celebrate millionaire players for their own club.

I think Germany, Spain and France have all won things, repeatedly, whereas you’re a Russian linesman away from winning fuck all. How did they all end up in the hardest route? You’re lucky and jammy when groups are allocated and the route if the draw you end up in. There’s no way you’re in the same ieague as the above 3.

As for us, we aren’t at the races, neither are you ability wise. Every one of your games have been an instant cure for insomnia. You probably noticed. All I’m saying is on your displays, if you hadn’t been drawn against second rate teams, relatively, you woukd never have got through. You have to know that.

Oh I do know how it works, but, again, you have won fuck all for 60 years and that took a goal that was never a goal. If I supported any of Germany, France or Spain I would be asking questions. You mentioned getting to the semi finals and final, you played fuck all on the way to both of them too.

You’re lucky and it makes you look like contenders, but when you look at who you actually beat, it’s falls apart. Do you actually think your team is in the same bracket as the best here?

You confuse having the best ieague in the world with you being up there. What is it the best teams have in relation to English players? Two if you’re lucky? It’s the best because you can afford to bring the best, take them away and your ieague is nothing.

It's hard to say in a final, they are a different occasion

90% of the people in England thought City would turn up in the FA cup and turn over a shite Man United team that barely got past coventry but it didn't happen.

Like when Chelsea beat us in the Champions League final , they were not a better team than us at the time , not even close , but on the night it just didn't happen for us.

Id make a Spain a favourite over England are Netherlands but not by a great margin. given the fact it's a one-off game and the final, I'd make it about a 60/40 in favour of Spain

I’m happy to throw it at my own club! Players are on 100/200k (whatever) before add ons and sponsorship deals , obscene money nowadays for all PL clubs.

It was aimed at those who complain and begrudge the money in football but happy to cheer and celebrate millionaire players for their own club.
I don't begrudge them these figures when influencers on tik tok are earning eye watering amounts for being superfluous gobshite cunts.
Footballers at the highest level draw viewing figures in the billions. They entertain in a way no entertainer can, performing live every few days, scrutinised mercilessly by anyone with a voice.
It's a great deal as far as I'm concerned.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.