Netherlands v England - Wed 10th July, 20:00 | Euro 2024 Semi-Final

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have had several conversations with foreign fans about that song and they just don’t get it. They really see it as arrogance, even when I point out what the original protagonists of the tune say and the reality of England’s trophy haul. It is hope which is not based on realistic expectation. We are different in attitudes and behaviour to the rest of the world and this is a good example of that leading to misconceptions.

Croatia were deeply offended by it in 2018. Italy mocked us for it with "it's coming Rome"!

They don't get it at all.

I know a lot of people from across Europe through time at university on the continent and I think I've helped educate a few.

Maybe we would be better not singing it to avoid teams using it as extra motivation to beat us, but I rarely say it myself and enjoy it as a joke more than anything. Most England fans will see us as the underdogs on Sunday but will still say it as a joke!

And if we win...."the day football finally came home" is one hell of a headline! I'm more worried about what we say afterwards...it's coming home again?

I have had several conversations with foreign fans about that song and they just don’t get it. They really see it as arrogance, even when I point out what the original protagonists of the tune say and the reality of England’s trophy haul. It is hope which is not based on realistic expectation. We are different in attitudes and behaviour to the rest of the world and this is a good example of that leading to misconceptions.
Didn't the song come about because we invented football (granted, we didn't beautify it), thus if we win an international tournament it will be coming back "home"?

I didn't get to see the game last night as I was at the Co-op Live watching Kings Of Leon. It was a great gig but obviously plenty of people weren't always totally focused as they were trying to find out the score. Internet coverage was hit and miss but I had my Bet365 app open when England scored the penalty. Others were watching delayed streams on their phones so the cheers only started about 30 seconds after I knew we'd scored.

In the dying minutes of the game someone next to me was watching it on his phone. Again, he was behind by about a minute. I wasn't paying much attention until he said "I think we've scored!". The match was still showing 1-1 but he'd had a pop-up from a WhatsApp chat from a mate. At this point there were no big cheers around the arena but I checked my own phone and sure enough I had a WhatsApp from a mate too. It was only when the bloke's phone got to the point of Watkins scoring that pockets of cheers started to break out around the place. I'm not sure what the band members thought - being from Tennessee - but they certainly fed off it, and a short while later the drummer had somehow managed to snaffle an England retro shirt from somewhere!

I see The Killers actually paused their gig at the O2 and streamed the last few minutes of the match!

That's correlation and you really haven't done anything to explain how it caused it.
It was nothing to do with Shaw. The Dutch changed their formation, meaning they outnumbered us in midfield. Therefore we couldn’t pass between the lines as easily, so our possession tended to be slow and uncreative.

Our spare man was in defence and that’s where we passed mostly in the second half until Watkins spread the play.

Shaw sent in a lovely ball that Watkins nearly scored from just before he actually did score.

That's correlation and you really haven't done anything to explain how it caused it.
I have explained. England looked worse in that second half and not the team that started the game. Shaw wasn't needed at half time. An adjust in central midfield was. As your angling for an argument BlueHammer so I leave you be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.