Netherlands v England - Wed 10th July, 20:00 | Euro 2024 Semi-Final

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You know, the more you watch that Watkins goal, the better it looks. It's a complete no-look goal, from the moment when he starts his run. He's on the wrong side of the defender, swivelling through 180°, and he gets the angle spot on. Anywhere else, and the keeper's getting it. I take my hat off. I don't know if he was doing anything like that for Villa during the season, but I did notice that he was scoring in match after match for them. Probably a major reason why Villa qualified for the CL.
I'd have Watkins or even Toney on from the first minute against Spain. Southgate won't, though, not a chance(got to give Kane credit for a very well-taken penalty, though. It was the one thing he did in the entire match, but he did it well).
It was a superb finish and goal from nothing, he should be starting over Kane everyday of the week.

Always curious to understand what the phrase "it's coming home" actually means?
We haven't won anything since 1966, most people on this forum would not have been born.
Are we implying the trophy or football itself. I've never understood the song.
Ringo Starr writes:
Once upon a time, there was a football tournament called the Euros. The very important gentlemen at UEFA decided that the finals would be held in England.
Now England is credited for inventing the modern game we call football because the modern rules were written in England, which unified several different versions of the game all over Europe. So England is called the home of football, much to the annoyance of the Germans and the French.
When the euro finals were held in England, some troubadours celebrated this fact with a song called: “It’s coming Home.” The Turks for some reason thought this was colonial and complained when fans of Ingerlund, as the country is called by those fans, sang the song at a subsequent tournament.
But we took no notice because the Turks are a bit silly.
Now I must go to feed the hungry children in the North.
“And that tackle by Moore…..”

as the great Joe Royle once said, "if you cant be good, be lucky"

I think luck is earned, Southgate does have some of the best players in the world in the squad which helps.
The Netherlands are average at best and reverted to the long ball game at halftime with Weghorst.

Pep and City struggle at times and earn some luck.
If your shit then be hard to beat, at least make them earn the result and don't hand it to them on a plate

Glad to see the anti-England brigade out in full force today.

It's coming home is England fans taking the piss! It's better to believe and get carried away than mope! It's not entitled it's not arrogant, it's a laugh. The song is based on England inventing the sport and Euro 96 being the first tournament back in England. Calm down.

England dominated the first half, it wasn't a penalty for me but these days the bar is low. We deserved to be at least level at the break. They adapted, the midfield condensed and we lost momentum. The subs were late, but luckily we held on until they arrived and then they changed the game. Job done and we are.in the final. One we will have to play even better in to win most likely but the squad has done its job and Southgate has mixed up who he has brought on and so far he has got it right.

You know, the more you watch that Watkins goal, the better it looks. It's a complete no-look goal, from the moment when he starts his run. He's on the wrong side of the defender, swivelling through 180°, and he gets the angle spot on. Anywhere else, and the keeper's getting it. I take my hat off. I don't know if he was doing anything like that for Villa during the season, but I did notice that he was scoring in match after match for them. Probably a major reason why Villa qualified for the CL.
I'd have Watkins or even Toney on from the first minute against Spain. Southgate won't, though, not a chance(got to give Kane credit for a very well-taken penalty, though. It was the one thing he did in the entire match, but he did it well).
We are all going on about luck and overlooking what was a brilliant collect and strike by Watkins.

Glad to see the anti-England brigade out in full force today.

It's coming home is England fans taking the piss! It's better to believe and get carried away than mope! It's not entitled it's not arrogant, it's a laugh. The song is based on England inventing the sport and Euro 96 being the first tournament back in England. Calm down.

England dominated the first half, it wasn't a penalty for me but these days the bar is low. We deserved to be at least level at the break. They adapted, the midfield condensed and we lost momentum. The subs were late, but luckily we held on until they arrived and then they changed the game. Job done and we are.in the final. One we will have to play even better in to win most likely but the squad has done its job and Southgate has mixed up who he has brought on and so far he has got it right.
I have had several conversations with foreign fans about that song and they just don’t get it. They really see it as arrogance, even when I point out what the original protagonists of the tune say and the reality of England’s trophy haul. It is hope which is not based on realistic expectation. We are different in attitudes and behaviour to the rest of the world and this is a good example of that leading to misconceptions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.