New City fan: what should I know?

My 66 year old father died of a heart attack whilst watching on television Kevin Keegan's City play Newcastle away in the FA Cup in 2002. It got too much for him. I was at my best mates house watching the game with him and his girl friend when my sister called me to break the news. My dad would have been 79 this year and I would have loved him to have seen what's become of the club that bonded us so much. We joked about one day an oil rich sheik taking us over and us rivalling United.

When Sergio Aguero scored the winner against QPR to seal our first league title in my lifetime my reaction was to sob uncontrollably. The first ever game my father took me to was City v QPR in 1976.

As a new City fan I bid you a very warm welcome. You don't need to know anything other than the more you immerse yourself into City the more emotional and rewarding it will get.

Resurrection said:
Corky said:
Probably best if you watch a team less than 4000 miles away, one that you can go to on a regular basis. Normally people go to matches before they become fans.

By that logic I could never support a European team ever. Not my fault I live across the pond, you know? :)

Loads and loads of fans in the US and Canada getting into following the best league in the world this past year or so. Not their fault that the domestic alternative (the MLS) is of infinitely lower quality. And I am not having a mean-spirited go at the MLS in saying that. It just is.

You seem like a good lad who gets it. For my part (and I'd guess 99% of others on here) I'm happy to welcome you.

All I'd say as to how to conduct yourself as a Blue - read the Liverpool RAWK forum and the rag Red Cafe. Understand the general vibe of fans in those places. And then behave in the opposite way yourself.

I agree with what (almost) everyone else has said but I not remember any of them saying that we are Manchester City and we fight to the end.

Always remember that & keep singing it until the final whistle sounds & you will be a man my son!!! Plus you will be a true City fan! :-)

I've not read all posts but one have seen our history - not always glorious mentioned.

Remember that we have been poor for many years and as an example only scored 10 goals at home all season under Pearce.

Don't get too precious or presumptuous we'll win every game and cheer the lads even when they lose. Ok, sometimes it may seem like the effort is being put in but doubt that is the case realistically as they know any loss can impact on what they can win (trophies/medals/financial) at the end of the season.

Unlike some on here, don't expect us to win every game, that is arrogance..... there are going to be days, (and nights) when we will lose at Swansea or Stoke 3-0, four days after battering Chelsea or Arsenal 6-0.

You have to learn to smile in adversity, if not keep a good supply of happy pills handy....:)

Supporting City gets into your blood. Enjoy the ride.

Resurrection said:
So I've been hanging around here reading and throwing in some comments where I can, I've also watched the movie "Blue Moon Rising". As a new City supporter, what should I know?

Some background on me... I'm Canadian and (of course) love hockey. My grandparents on my Mothers side (Ukrainian) were displaced by WW2 and met in Manchester. It's there my Mom was born and just a few years later they sailed for Canada and a new life. So I feel an affinity for Manchester and couldn't see myself being a Reds fan (they seem like real spoiled brats to me). Now with our cable showing so many BPL matches I can actually choose a side and follow a club, which I think is far more fun than just following the league as a whole.

Oh and I also wonder too when they release the schedule each year for the Premiership, how many months in advance. I'm getting married next year and my fiancee has agreed to see a football match in Europe on our way to the honeymoon.

Fuck me, I've no doubt you're bang into your football (when the ice-hockey season's finished) but the fact you have to ask what you should know is symptomatic of the modern fan. You support the team where you're born and braised. If that means Edmonton Electrics, so be it. Nobody needs telling why to support a team. It's akin to me mithering you to guide me to a decent ice-speedway team. You'd rightly tell me to fuck off and follow my local outfit, local sport.

Sorry bud, if you have to ask, you'll never know.

johnnytapia said:
Resurrection said:
So I've been hanging around here reading and throwing in some comments where I can, I've also watched the movie "Blue Moon Rising". As a new City supporter, what should I know?

Some background on me... I'm Canadian and (of course) love hockey. My grandparents on my Mothers side (Ukrainian) were displaced by WW2 and met in Manchester. It's there my Mom was born and just a few years later they sailed for Canada and a new life. So I feel an affinity for Manchester and couldn't see myself being a Reds fan (they seem like real spoiled brats to me). Now with our cable showing so many BPL matches I can actually choose a side and follow a club, which I think is far more fun than just following the league as a whole.

Oh and I also wonder too when they release the schedule each year for the Premiership, how many months in advance. I'm getting married next year and my fiancee has agreed to see a football match in Europe on our way to the honeymoon.

Fuck me, I've no doubt you're bang into your football (when the ice-hockey season's finished) but the fact you have to ask what you should know is symptomatic of the modern fan. You support the team where you're born and braised. If that means Edmonton Electrics, so be it. Nobody needs telling why to support a team. It's akin to me mithering you to guide me to a decent ice-speedway team. You'd rightly tell me to fuck off and follow my local outfit, local sport.

Hmmm... the elite ice hockey league on this planet is The NHL, similar to our Football Premier League in terms of nationalities from all over the world coming to the leagues, clubs being very wealthy in comparison to leagues such as the British Ice Hockey Championship.

Now I enjoy ice hockey but do I go and watch Manchester Phoenix?
No, but I'll watch the odd NHL game now and again and consider NY Rangers to be a team I route for.

So I understand why people from the other side of the world will follow the Premiership as it's one if not The elite football league.

We're just lucky to be local and live in Manc.

Why Always Ste said:
johnnytapia said:
Resurrection said:

Hmmm... the elite ice hockey league on this planet is The NHL, similar to our Football Premier League in terms of nationalities from all over the world coming to the leagues, clubs being very wealthy in comparison to leagues such as the British Ice Hockey Championship.

Now I enjoy ice hockey but do I go and watch Manchester Phoenix?
No, but I'll watch the odd NHL game now and again and consider NY Rangers to be a team I route for.

So I understand why people from the other side of the world will follow the Premiership as it's one if not The elite football league.

We're just lucky to be local and live in Manc.

No, we support our local team. No luck involved. As for watching NHL/NHS/CBeebies or whatever is on offer, I don't get it - why would you be remotely arsed in anything other than your local outfit. A City fan from Canada, or a United fan from Salford? I'm confident I'd have more in common with the latter.

Just remember to stay humble. As mentioned now, what makes us is the fact that weve been through it all. Every emotion.

It still makes me giddy realising the shirt Kun Aguero and David Silva wears is the same one Jamie Pollock was wearing 15+ years ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.