New CL Format | Thoughts after 2 games (pg13)

Don’t let the clubs off mate. I reckon UEFA are only doing what the clubs push them to.

Every boardroom is as bad as each other. They also think ‘fuck the fans n fuck the players’.

At no point were any fans, players or coaches consulted over these changes. We’re the ones paying to watch the games, the players are the ones playing in them and the coaches preparing the players… while the boardrooms and UEFA count the beans.

Gündoğan came out when these changes were announced a few years ago and said something along the lines of, ‘I don’t know why they’re making changes, I love playing in the Champions League as it is’.
Dead right, and most fans loved watching the CL as it was.

Wasn't keen when the plans were initially announced, and not changed my mind yet. It's convoluted and unnecessary - I don't think I've ever heard a football fan say that they wished there were more CL group games. The competition only ever becomes interesting once the element of risk comes into play with the knock out stages.
Risk is there now for Bayern if not Madrid, they probably need 14 points for top 8 Bayern have Barcelona and PSG to play.Depending on the round of 16 draw think 1 or 2 of the usual quarter finalists will miss out. Only downside for me are the 2 extra group games, but think the league is far more interesting than the old groups.

Don't like the new format but will see how it goes. Totally down to UEFA and tv making extra money. No thought for the fans. Wish I'd not signed up for the cup scheme now. Be interesting to see on Jan 29th as 18 matches all kick off at same time, how many actually have any jeopardy in them.
You can cancel the CL scheme mid season.

There will be jeopardy on match day 8, with clubs vying for as high a finish as possible to get an easier draw in the knock out round or just to qualify plus £2m for winning a group game.

It's a weird bastardised version of the NFL season. Teams don't play everyone nor do they play each team home and away (only their division) . There's an odd number of games in the "league" portion and then teams get byes depending on where they finish. It's random.

The NFL generates enormous revenue...I wonder if this tournament will start to resemble it more in the coming years.
It's' the beginning of a mid week European super league.

Nah this format is great. I don't remember the last time we had such a greay day in UCL. Aston-Bayern, Lille-Madrid, Leipzig- Juve, Benfica-Atleti, even Liverpool-Bologna were all fantastic matches. You would be lucky to get 1 or 2 with the last format.

Not only that, but the last day will be exciting for 90% of the teams, and doing really well in the group stages is more rewarding now. If you just watch one team, it might not be as exciting, but if you love to watch other teams, this is by far the superior format.

Nobody wanted more group games but if they did; 4 groups of 9 teams would do the exact same whilst bringing in an element of fairness by playing the same teams. The 36 team league is too much.

Anyway, TV will probably dictate the outcome and we're already seeing them struggle to build narratives, both in the live production and highlight packages. The amount of times I've heard 'we don't know what this means', TV wont continue to pay for that.

Risk is there now for Bayern if not Madrid, they probably need 14 points for top 8 Bayern have Barcelona and PSG to play.Depending on the round of 16 draw think 1 or 2 of the usual quarter finalists will miss out. Only downside for me are the 2 extra group games, but think the league is far more interesting than the old groups.
Not convinced yet but you may be right. It could be a slow burner. Would be amusing if one of the big guns dropped out. I am cynical about UEFA’s motives but prepared to wait and see. The matches last night were better than the first match day.

Is not finishing top 8 a risk though?

I still think there's a strong argument to treat the 8 groups games like the early rounds of the cup, mass rotation etc...

If you have to play the playoff round the trade off of 8 games v 2 games is surely worth it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.