New CL Format | Thoughts after 2 games (pg13)

The fact it's now a one off fixture means these wins really count for something in the overall scheme of things.

They wont just be cancelled out in a return fixture like they nearly always used to be, with Bayern & Real ending the group stages ahead via superior head-to-head dominance.
Still got 7 other games to recover from any hiccups . It will still be the usual suspects qualifying in first 8 places.

It's a weird bastardised version of the NFL season. Teams don't play everyone nor do they play each team home and away (only their division) . There's an odd number of games in the "league" portion and then teams get byes depending on where they finish. It's random.

The NFL generates enormous revenue...I wonder if this tournament will start to resemble it more in the coming years.

What did you expect?

The formats strengths and weaknesses are really clear. We get more unique games instead of drawing the same teams every year, there’s a much better chance of smaller teams getting into the last 16, and there should be some last-day-of-the-season bedlam across the last few match days.

The negatives are more games against weaker opposition and the longer format means it’ll take longer to get interesting.

We won’t really be able to assess this format for ~5 years, when there’s been a chance for those weaker teams to reap the financial rewards and get better, and hopefully make some deep runs to break up the monotony of the last 8 in the previous format.
You missed the biggest negative, a bad game for a top side in the old format gave one of the minnows a chance of progressing, with this format it's almost irrelevant. Just another way of maintaining the status quo.

As I said, it's shit

Wasn't keen when the plans were initially announced, and not changed my mind yet. It's convoluted and unnecessary - I don't think I've ever heard a football fan say that they wished there were more CL group games. The competition only ever becomes interesting once the element of risk comes into play with the knock out stages.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.