New fans

The thing that is also overlooked is the fact that we hardly have any overseas supporters. A few dozen on here does not make us the next Man United.

Didsbury Dave said:
The thing that is also overlooked is the fact that we hardly have any overseas supporters. A few dozen on here does not make us the next Man United.
But we still have Special Snowflake fans as evidenced every time these threads happen who feel really threatened by not having been consulted by the club in regards to new fans.

taconinja said:
Didsbury Dave said:
But we still have Special Snowflake fans as evidenced every time these threads happen who feel really threatened by not having been consulted by the club in regards to new fans.

They are unable to see the big picture.

If we want to compete with Real Madrid and Man United we need a worldwide fanbase. There could come a day when we sell our own broadcast rights and if that day comes, then the club who can sell 10 million internet season tickets will be the ones at the top table.

We are picking up the odd overseas fan along the way. Every one we pick up is good news and more potential cash through the tills. But we are a million miles away from Man United and Liverpool. Chelsea have found this very difficult and I predict we will too.

Who cares at least they seem to love the club and are spreading the word. All are welcome in my opinion. Although i do agree don't want a swamp situation with loads of tourists and inflated prices!

Didsbury Dave said:

If we want to compete with Real Madrid and Man United we need a worldwide fanbase. There could come a day when we sell our own broadcast rights and if that day comes, then the club who can sell 10 million internet season tickets will be the ones at the top table.

We are picking up the odd overseas fan along the way. Every one we pick up is good news and more potential cash through the tills. But we are a million miles away from Man United and Liverpool. Chelsea have found this very difficult and I predict we will too.

Totally agree, every new fan is a very good thing. and we seem to be hitting the American market hard at the moment.

As for people saying we dont want "tourist fans" driving our ticket prices up, FFPR is doing that anyways!. We need enough local fans and tourist fans to fill up the 80k seater stadium (every match) that I hope we will be building in a few years;)

we have fans worldwide just cause you cant see them doesnt mean they are not there! i was on a tour last week of the stadium withdrawels!! and there were fans from perth kuwait hong kong bosnia and there were 2 kiwis! more than you would think

When I was in orlando last year, I met a City fan born and raised in NYC. Had followed City for years, his 2 daughters were City fans and he gets to a game every few years when he's visiting the UK, watches all the games on TV. Don't know why anyone should have a problem with people supporting City just because they weren't born in the Manchester area.

Didsbury Dave said:
taconinja said:

I don't know if this is true.

I am quite able to 'see the bigger picture' and how beneficial it is to the club to convince the hordes that they are 'part of it'. It is obvious that every big club cynically tries to financial exploit these people/markets and goes to great lengths to make them fee 'legit' and that they need to spend money.

I am also not in the business of telling people what they can and can't do. I am not for saying that I don't want 'glory hunters' filling previously empty seats. It is probably a good thing that they do. Just as it is probably a good thing that Randy McCityfan convinces himself that he loves the club so much that he buys 1,000 commemorative FA Cup foam hands.

However, it would be disingenuous to start to claim that I do not find such peoples' reasoning laughable, self deluding, childish, small minded and bizarre.

I am quite capable of separating my view of what is good for the club and what is a dignified action of an adult human being.

And, for me, whilst convincing millions around the world that they are 'super passionate' about the club is undoubtedly good and beneficial, I also hold the view that those who fall for it and are desperate to promote their individual 'passion' and always act as a 'super fan', justifying their bizarre 'choice' at every turn, are laughable.

When I am faced with a question like that earlier in the thread, where "a twenty four year old American who reads loads about the club on the internet" manically seeks to equate his feelings for City with those who have grown up with the club, are attached to it and have it as part of the fabric of their locality and their weekly activities, then I am going to be even more astonished.

In fact, such a bizarre assertion only serves to justify my view that such people are on some sort of desperate mission to constantly 'act like a football fan' and 'manufacture passion', lest their 'choice' be exposed as simply that - a cold, rational, cynical choice.

Show me any long serving City fan from Manchester who honestly believes that a young American who reads about the club on the internet feels it as much when we win or lose, and I will show you a liar.

It is a ridiculous assertion.

However, the above sounds like I am interested in ranking fans or being at the front of some sort of pecking order. I am not. Yet I will still hold an opinion on such matters, and it is the one detailed above.

I am not interested in whether it is good for the club or not. It is going to happen whatever I think about it.

I am not bothered about those individuals or interested in judging them in any other part of their life.

I do, however, find people seeking to emote about how much 'passion' they have for a club around the other side of the world a joke.

And offensive (although I can't really get offended by football) to long serving fans that they are desperate (as this thread shows) to equate themselves to.

And I see no shame in saying that. I don't put aside rational judgement on people's reasoning just because we are talking about MCFC.

(I note that many of the issues raised in my two long posts on here have not been address and that the thread is rammed full of cliches along the lines of 'live and let live', 'well, if you hate United....' 'every blue is welcome' etc. It always happens on this subject but you very rarely get it elevated to a decent debate about the thought processes involved as there is nowhere to go for the 'Loving ManU from Singapore since 98' gang.)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.