New highway code rules

We are still designing and building vehicles that have dangerous blind spots. In situations where the relative angles between moving objects (vehicle/pedestrian, vehicle/cyclist, vehicle/vehicle) in the blind spot don't change it makes for a dangerous situation where there is a high probability a collision will occur unless the object vehicle/cyclist/pedestrian takes evasive action. No amendments to the Highway Code are going change this.

The 'Dutch Reach' method allows you to observe that the road is clear whilst maintaining control of the vehicle door, but it isn't specifically prescribed in the the Code. The actual wording of rule 239 with respect to opening your vehicle door is;
  • you MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door. Check for cyclists or other traffic
MUST being the operative word. Rules in the Code which are legal requirements, and which you will be committing a criminal offence if you disobey, use the words must/must not.

So the MEN are talking bollox again, colour me surprised

We are still designing and building vehicles that have dangerous blind spots. In situations where the relative angles between moving objects (vehicle/pedestrian, vehicle/cyclist, vehicle/vehicle) in the blind spot don't change it makes for a dangerous situation where there is a high probability a collision will occur unless the object vehicle/cyclist/pedestrian takes evasive action. No amendments to the Highway Code are going change this.

The 'Dutch Reach' method allows you to observe that the road is clear whilst maintaining control of the vehicle door, but it isn't specifically prescribed in the the Code. The actual wording of rule 239 with respect to opening your vehicle door is;
  • you MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door. Check for cyclists or other traffic
MUST being the operative word. Rules in the Code which are legal requirements, and which you will be committing a criminal offence if you disobey, use the words must/must not.
Why can't cyclists just work harder and get a car like normal people, that would solve it.

mamil-2.jpg

Shock Report Reveals That Most Middle Aged Cyclists Are Closet Homosexuals
It’s a conundrum that has puzzled both experts and laymen for years – why do seemingly normal middle aged men spend a large part of their free time dressed in tight Lycra while staring at other men’s bottoms? Well now a new study has revealed the answer – they are mainly closet homosexuals.
The study authors from The University Of West South Elmsall, sent out a confidential survey to over 1,000 cyclists – middle aged men in Lycra – asking a series of probing questions about their taste in clothes, music, theatre and film. “The data we got back was clear cut”, said Professor Keith Lee who headed up the study, “The number of fans of musical theatre, Kylie Minogue, Shirley Bassey, Liza Minnelli, Abba and Bet Lynch off Coronation Street was striking. Skinny jeans ownership was also off the scale. If these aren’t clear signs of batting for the other side, I don’t know what are.”
One cyclist from Wickersley who asked not to be named said “I’m admitting to nothing, but where else would you get the chance to wear skin tight luminous Lycra shorts with a padded crotch, and cop an eyeful of muscular flexing buttock for two hours without anyone thinking anything of it? And even being at the front of the pack and getting chased is quite a thrill. Everyone knows the score but when we stop for coffee, we talk about cars and other manly stuff. It’s a game.”
We approached Tour De France winner Sir Bradley Wiggins for his comments, but a spokesperson said he was away at a Judy Garland tribute weekend

All these people prepared to mow down pedestrians when you turn right in a car. Let’s face it, how fast are you moving when you turn right most of the time? It shouldn’t be to much of a hassle to stop to allow a pedestrian to cross. It happens in other countries. Spent a long time in NZ and they are much more courteous to other users than us; stopping in car parks for pedestrians, allowing people to cross the road, leaving lots of room for cyclist, I could go on but you get the picture.

All these people prepared to mow down pedestrians when you turn right in a car. Let’s face it, how fast are you moving when you turn right most of the time? It shouldn’t be to much of a hassle to stop to allow a pedestrian to cross. It happens in other countries. Spent a long time in NZ and they are much more courteous to other users than us; stopping in car parks for pedestrians, allowing people to cross the road, leaving lots of room for cyclist, I could go on but you get the picture.
Turning left as well though. I've been testing the new rule as a pedestrian (albeit a week or two before the advice comes in) and nobody looked like they were about to even consider stopping or even acknowledged I was there to be honest.

Remix 2022

“I've got a bike, and I ride it where I like.
On the pavement, on roadways
And the wrong way down one way streets.
I'd give way to you if I could, but I don’t give a shit”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.