New highway code rules

Since you are being a bit of smart arse know it all, you need to read the difference between rule 170 and the new rule.

A clever guy like yourself should surely have noticed the subtle difference between all ready crossing the road to the new version of giving way to pedestrians who are WAITING to cross the road junction.

Also, I didn't say it was law, literally in the thread title I called it a new rule which somebody else took umbrage with, can't please anybody it seems.

As you were angry cycle man.

I was taught to drive in 1980 and was always told to give way to people ready to or actually crossing the road into which I was turning - that was the code then and I have always stuck to it. The whole thing revolves around being a safe and considerate road user - something thats fallen out of fashion in the age of Ronnie Pickering

I was taught to drive in 1980 and was always told to give way to people ready to or actually crossing the road into which I was turning - that was the code then and I have always stuck to it. The whole thing revolves around being a safe and considerate road user - something thats fallen out of fashion in the age of Ronnie Pickering
If that was the code in 1980 why has it been updated and changed?

I don't think dear old Ronnie had a problem with pedestrians more motorbikes.

Anyway, the whole point of posting it was to bring it to people's attention in the first place not row about it.

You may have been told wrong.

170 (Current rules)
Take extra care at junctions. You should
  • watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
But I'm wondering if you, like me, were told that someone waiting at a zebra crossing had priority, and apparently that was never the case, they only had priority once they started to cross. That is changing now and makes sense to me.

I think the danger with the new rule is that it seems to allow pedestrians to have priority to cross a junction even without a zebra crossing, and that feels dangerous.

Since you are being a bit of smart arse know it all, you need to read the difference between rule 170 and the new rule.

A clever guy like yourself should surely have noticed the subtle difference between all ready crossing the road to the new version of giving way to pedestrians who are WAITING to cross the road junction.

Also, I didn't say it was law, literally in the thread title I called it a new rule which somebody else took umbrage with, can't please anybody it seems.

As you were angry cycle man.
If that’s referring to me Alf, honestly, no umbrage here mate, and not your use of the word, more theirs in the link, it’s just always irked me when people pass the HC off as the law, it’s a code of conduct as much as anything else, and every road user, whether in a vehicle, on a cycle, or on foot etc, all have equal responsibility for the safety of anyone else.

And for what it’s worth, I do actually agree with much of what you wrote about the dangers these changes may bring, there’s always some prick out there that will try and make a point, and let’s not forget, we’re dealing with decades of ingrained driving habits that won’t change overnight.

If that’s referring to me Alf, honestly, no umbrage here mate, and not your use of the word, more theirs in the link, it’s just always irked me when people pass the HC off as the law, it’s a code of conduct as much as anything else, and every road user, whether in a vehicle, on a cycle, or on foot etc, all have equal responsibility for the safety of anyone else.

And for what it’s worth, I do actually agree with much of what you wrote about the dangers these changes may bring, there’s always some prick out there that will try and make a point, and let’s not forget, we’re dealing with decades of ingrained driving habits that won’t change overnight.
Ha the word law is used in the link, I maybe should have read my own link better, I thought you were both saying I'd said it was a law lol

ffs :)

You may have been told wrong.

170 (Current rules)
Take extra care at junctions. You should
  • watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
But I'm wondering if you, like me, were told that someone waiting at a zebra crossing had priority, and apparently that was never the case, they only had priority once they started to cross. That is changing now and makes sense to me.

I think the danger with the new rule is that it seems to allow pedestrians to have priority to cross a junction even without a zebra crossing, and that feels dangerous.

no I was remembering what I was told by my driving instructor in 79/80 - I think I may have a yellowed dog eared copy of the code in the loft still in some box or other but fucked if I am going looking ha ha ha

Is it the one with the 3mph speed limit and came with a free red flag?

;)

Not quite - its the one that made me believe on my first test as I approached the traffic lights in Cheetham Hill and they went onto amber I could just nip through. The examiner used the brake on the dual controls to arrest our progress. I don't think he appreciated my comment " ahh I think we'd have made that" either.

Yep I failed

What does? Which part?

I can't say I have ever noticed a car stopping as it turns into a street to allow pedestrians to cross, I have only ever driven in Spain abroad though and they still haven't got used to roundabouts or indicators yet.
Spain or Italy are not exactly brilliant examples of great driving!!!
It works in Germany and Austria

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.