New highway code rules

If riding a bike or motor bike you should always be treated as road traffic and therefore only be passed when it's safe to do so. Same as you would do with a car in front of you. I always sit dead centre. Fuck you car cunts.

*this obviously changes when I'm driving. Bike cunts.

The turning one is weird though, can see some people getting twatted.

Did you know, that according to that paragon of press virtue the MEN, the new highway code requires you to open your car door with the hand furthest away from it, ie driver uses left hand. This so called "Dutch Reach" (which I must confess to thinking was some continental sexual manoeuvre) is supposed to protect byciclers by making you look over your shoulder. there is no mention of whether the treatment for the resultant back injuries are claimable as a tax deduction. I believe the world is now too far down the road to madness to come back

Did you know, that according to that paragon of press virtue the MEN, the new highway code requires you to open your car door with the hand furthest away from it, ie driver uses left hand. This so called "Dutch Reach" (which I must confess to thinking was some continental sexual manoeuvre) is supposed to protect byciclers by making you look over your shoulder. there is no mention of whether the treatment for the resultant back injuries are claimable as a tax deduction. I believe the world is now too far down the road to madness to come back
I have a sort of mirror thingy on my driver's door that helps me check for cyclists, cars, buses, wagons and low flying aircraft before opening the door.

Are you not checking that it is safe to open your vehicle door before doing so? Another way is to use your wing mirror properly in conjunction with your rear view mirror to ensure a cyclist hasn't been behind the vehicle and moved into an overtaking manouevre. Also when opening the door, don't swing it out fully in one go, just crack it by an inch or two first to allow any unsuspecting victims to take evasive action.

We are still designing and building vehicles that have dangerous blind spots. In situations where the relative angles between moving objects (vehicle/pedestrian, vehicle/cyclist, vehicle/vehicle) in the blind spot don't change it makes for a dangerous situation where there is a high probability a collision will occur unless the object vehicle/cyclist/pedestrian takes evasive action. No amendments to the Highway Code are going change this.

The 'Dutch Reach' method allows you to observe that the road is clear whilst maintaining control of the vehicle door, but it isn't specifically prescribed in the the Code. The actual wording of rule 239 with respect to opening your vehicle door is;
  • you MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door. Check for cyclists or other traffic
MUST being the operative word. Rules in the Code which are legal requirements, and which you will be committing a criminal offence if you disobey, use the words must/must not.

Are you not checking that it is safe to open your vehicle door before doing so? Another way is to use your wing mirror properly in conjunction with your rear view mirror to ensure a cyclist hasn't been behind the vehicle and moved into an overtaking manouevre. Also when opening the door, don't swing it out fully in one go, just crack it by an inch or two first to allow any unsuspecting victims to take evasive action.

Yes of course I'm checking before I open the door, got to be sure you time it right haven't you :) I was referring to the (apparently incorrect) statement by the MuEN that you must now use the "Dutch Reach"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.