New highway code rules

Rules ?
The Highway Code was never the law, and was only intended as a guide, and much of it advisory at that, has something changed ?

Those ‘proposals’ seem idiotic and almost like a cyclist/pedestrian has done it.
Like the 'midget gems' in another thread, long established expressions and practices are changed because small groups complain, often as few as one indidual.
Yet complain forever about the media's football coverage and in particular the supposedly impartial BBC - no chance, no change.

What annoys me most as a cyclist is dangerous overtakes by motorists.

If a motorist overtakes me and immediately has to brake then it wasn't safe to overtake in the first place. Also close passes(<1.5m) really piss me off whether it's 20mph or 80mph. Worst one I had was a double decker bus doing around 60mph. It passed me within 3ft when the driver had the whole road to use to overtake safely.
Drivers become better drivers once they ride bikes, IMO.

Like the 'midget gems' in another thread, long established expressions and practices are changed because small groups complain, often as few as one indidual.
Yet complain forever about the media's football coverage and in particular the supposedly impartial BBC - no chance, no change.
There was a public consultation on the proposed changes which EVERYONE had a right to contribute towards.

180212 Draft consultation version 5.1.14.final (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Some dangerous new rules imo none more so than allowing pedestrians the right to cross on a junction you are turning into, people will be knocked over as they just walk out in front of cars, how will this work in a big city where there are people waiting to cross roads every minute of the day, of course, you stopping as you are half way through the action of turning will surely mean a greater chance of somebody else running into the back of you.

Discuss.

ps I used the sun as it isn't behind a paywall and has diagrams lol

1/ its a code not law
2/ I was always taught to give way to pedestrians crossing at a junction - attached is an older version of the Highway Code - Rule 170 may enlighten some
http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uplo...ial-highway-code-with-annexes-uk-en-12-04.pdf
3/ I cycle and I taught my kids to cycle in the centre of the lane - riding in the gutter is suicidal

1/ its a code not law
2/ I was always taught to give way to pedestrians crossing at a junction - attached is an older version of the Highway Code - Rule 170 may enlighten some
http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uplo...ial-highway-code-with-annexes-uk-en-12-04.pdf
3/ I cycle and I taught my kids to cycle in the centre of the lane - riding in the gutter is suicidal
Since you are being a bit of smart arse know it all, you need to read the difference between rule 170 and the new rule.

A clever guy like yourself should surely have noticed the subtle difference between all ready crossing the road to the new version of giving way to pedestrians who are WAITING to cross the road junction.

Also, I didn't say it was law, literally in the thread title I called it a new rule which somebody else took umbrage with, can't please anybody it seems.

As you were angry cycle man.

Works totally fine on the continent
What does? Which part?

I can't say I have ever noticed a car stopping as it turns into a street to allow pedestrians to cross, I have only ever driven in Spain abroad though and they still haven't got used to roundabouts or indicators yet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.