new kit '14-'15

Status
Not open for further replies.
kun said:
dario2739 said:
mrtwiceaseason said:
dont quote me but have read 2 nd week in july somewhere.

It will probably be when we go to the USA again.

As for our kit - keep getting a lot of comments on here "don't care... it's not a fashion show... as long as it's a sky blue shirt!"
Thing is, while some people think it's a trivial matter – it really isn't!
Like it or not, a football club's kit is part of it's brand – arguably it's most important as it's how they are recognised the world over.

Take the illustration below – a simplistic image of a handful of the world's biggest teams. You know who they are without having to be told...

24xp0k6.jpg

It seems that (for English teams especially) the early sixties was a time when a club defined it's kit – since then have you ever seen Liverpool wear white shorts or socks? Have United ever wore red shirts? Barca have dabbled with differing short/sock colours but their kit is unique enough to never appear different.

Then you come to us... which one are we..?

5zk0ia.jpg

I think the club needs to define a strip and stick with it... so that when you show a picture like this to anybody around the world they would say with certainty "that's Man City", not "well it could be Lazio or Napoli, or maybe even Coventry!"
We were the original Sky Blue club (as far as I can see) so let's make that proud tradition a strong statement and strong identifiable brand!
TBF at least 2/3 of those in the top picture could be different clubs.

Top right could be Chelsea, or Rangers, or Everton.
the black and white stripes could be Juventus, Newcastle or Notts County.

Didn't read my post properly did you?
I said that show that image to people all around the world and ask who they think every kit is... do you think somebody in Asia would say - "is that Notts County?" No – each one of those is instantly recognisable as one of the world's top clubs – sure Notts county wear black and white stripes, but your first thought would be Juventus – whereas with our chopping and changing you can not say with certainty what our kit is beyond sky blue shirt.
Nobody picked up so far, for instance, that the last kit in the City row is acutally supposed to be Coventry... which kind of proves my point!

Oh and for the record, anyone who says Ranger or Everton for top right doesn't have a very good footballing knowledge – Rangers and Everton have never worn blue shorts, and Newcastle wear black shorts and socks – Juventus wear black and white stripes because of Notts County, but since when have they been one of the world's elite clubs?

Remember utd wearing red socks all thru the 60s, don't think they went back to black till the the mid 70s. I think city should just play in light blue and white and nothing else.

kun said:
dario2739 said:
mrtwiceaseason said:
dont quote me but have read 2 nd week in july somewhere.

It will probably be when we go to the USA again.

As for our kit - keep getting a lot of comments on here "don't care... it's not a fashion show... as long as it's a sky blue shirt!"
Thing is, while some people think it's a trivial matter – it really isn't!
Like it or not, a football club's kit is part of it's brand – arguably it's most important as it's how they are recognised the world over.

Take the illustration below – a simplistic image of a handful of the world's biggest teams. You know who they are without having to be told...

24xp0k6.jpg

It seems that (for English teams especially) the early sixties was a time when a club defined it's kit – since then have you ever seen Liverpool wear white shorts or socks? Have United ever wore red shirts? Barca have dabbled with differing short/sock colours but their kit is unique enough to never appear different.

Then you come to us... which one are we..?

5zk0ia.jpg

I think the club needs to define a strip and stick with it... so that when you show a picture like this to anybody around the world they would say with certainty "that's Man City", not "well it could be Lazio or Napoli, or maybe even Coventry!"
We were the original Sky Blue club (as far as I can see) so let's make that proud tradition a strong statement and strong identifiable brand!
TBF at least 2/3 of those in the top picture could be different clubs.

Top right could be Chelsea, or Rangers, or Everton.
the black and white stripes could be Juventus, Newcastle or Notts County.

no they can't, Everton and Rangers wear white shorts.

and Newcastle wear black shorts and socks and County are irrelevant.

dario2739 said:
I said that show that image to people all around the world and ask who they think every kit is... do you think somebody in Asia would say - "is that Notts County?" No –

You mean like if somebody in Asia would say "is that Coventry City?"

IanBishopsHaircut said:
dario2739 said:
I said that show that image to people all around the world and ask who they think every kit is... do you think somebody in Asia would say - "is that Notts County?" No –

No - but they probably wouldn't say City either... just as likely to say Napoli or Lazio – we SHOULD be immediatley identifiable, we should be the first name that comes to mind. They most probably would say "erm... is it City?", but with the others there would be no doubt.

If even we as City fans can't spot that one of those was Coventry, it means our kit is not as unique as it should be!

dario2739 said:
IanBishopsHaircut said:
dario2739 said:

No - but they probably wouldn't say City either... just as likely to say Napoli or Lazio – we SHOULD be immediatley identifiable, we should be the first name that comes to mind. They most probably would say "erm... is it City?", but with the others there would be no doubt.

If even we as City fans can't spot that one of those was Coventry, it means our kit is not as unique as it should be!

Lazio - Sky Blue Shirts, White Shorts, White Socks

No different from us

Are you saying that if we always kept those colours then we would be distinguishable from Lazio, or Napoli even?

I'm saying to the average world football fan no

Our colour scheme is certainly not unique and therefore it's ridiculous to say it needs to be fixed

So long as the shirt is right I couldn't care less

IanBishopsHaircut said:
dario2739 said:
IanBishopsHaircut said:

Lazio - Sky Blue Shirts, White Shorts, White Socks

No different from us

Are you saying that if we always kept those colours then we would be distinguishable from Lazio, or Napoli even?

I'm saying to the average world football fan no

Our colour scheme is certainly not unique and therefore it's ridiculous to say it needs to be fixed

So long as the shirt is right I couldn't care less

If we wore Sky Blue Shirt, White Shorts and Navy Blue socks – a kit which we traditionally wore – then YES I do believe we would be distinguishable.
If we settled on Sky Blue Shirt, White Shorts and Skyblue socks with a maroon turnover – then YES again... but we need to pick one and stick with if ffs!

Using your argument...

4uxbop.jpg

The image on the left, you know which is the Rags – they would never not have black socks for their home kit.
Then on the right us again... two of those could be definitively City, whereas the other is ambiguous... is it City, is it Lazio, is it Napoli – that's my point!

Sheikh Rattle n Roll said:
Apologies if mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but are City ditching Nike?.....I see NYFC are going to be supplied by Adidas

Adidas supplies all MLS teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.