New York City FC Thread (new away kit P245)

Loukas said:
There are some corkers on that forum of theirs!

<a class="postlink" href="http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/away-day-casuals.531/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?thread ... suals.531/</a>

Think that one takes the biscuit.

As a side note, I don't understand why there 'fans' are so reluctant to sing City songs? It's as if they hate the club their part of?

There fan base in infiltrated by Munichs, Scousers, Spuds, and such like .

Remember they are Americans,
Liverpool - Big Team in late 70's early 80's when MLS started (Think NY Cosmos etc)
Spurs - Large Jewish contingent in New York
Spanish Contingent in NY keep Barcelona and Real Madrid going .... perhaps we can win a few of these fans...
United Contingent - Well there viral support was spreading at a faster rate than AIDS during the 90's... No cure has yet been found but as most are plastics NYCFC might be the required cure. City just need to administer the medicine.

C

willy eckerslike said:
MrE said:
willy eckerslike said:
Is that forum run by a guy called Ric Toyner!!

I don't know who runs it, but I think it would be a good idea to set up sub forums for NYCFC and Melbourne City here (New boards) to allow the fans of these clubs to join in with the MCFC banter etc, this hopefully will help the fans develop the City mindset !!!!

I knew that Ric Toyner joke wouldn't work in text :(

I've set up an account on their forum under the same name - might be interesting to see the differences between them and us. Not sure they'll get the muffin/barm references, though.

Don't worry i got the joke mate

MrE said:
Having been quite excited about the owners business plans, I thought I would check out NYCFC fan forums (its ironic that there is a fan forum for a team that hasn't kicked a ball yet lol)

The NYCFC "fans" seem to be determined that they are the number one club in the partnership and MCFC are an inconvenient irreverence.

I know what you're saying, but I think there might be an element of deliberate misreading there. There are a lot of people on that forum who think that NYCFC has the potential to grow to be the most important part of the CFG, and don't like the idea that the club exists simply to service MCFC. However, none of them are claiming that NYCFC is currently the biggest club of the group.

Loukas said:
As a side note, I don't understand why there 'fans' are so reluctant to sing City songs? It's as if they hate the club their part of?

It's because "Chivas" is a running joke in MLS. Mexican club Chivas Guadalajara bought an MLS franchise about 8 years ago and announced it was basically there to glorify the Mexican team, thinking that it would create a huge new market for Chivas Guadalajara fans in the huge Hispanic population of the USA. Instead, the club put off virtually everyone, and "boast" attendances which would make a League Two club embarrassed. The club has failed so badly that MLS just announced they are revoking the franchise rights. Now, any club who has too-close links to a foreign team are simply mocked for being "Chivas 2.0", and fans are so scarred by the experience that no-one is really willing to support a team who claims to be that.

On top of this, Americans simply don't want to follow a club which is a copy-cat version of another club, they want the team to be "their" team. Remember that the American psyche for sports is not that you follow the club you have family ties to, it's that you support your local team. Declaring a team to be a cheap imitation (or even an expensive imitation) of a foreign team strips away the "local" identity and makes it undesirable. There simply isn't a big enough City fanbase in NYC to make that premise work. I guarantee you, if NYCFC was marketed as "Manchester City USA" by the club, it would struggle to get attendances of 1,000 a game, and would collapse in a few years. There simply isn't the market for a Manchester City USA. If the club doesn't make strong efforts to be an individual club tied to MCFC but not a complete duplicate of it, then the club will fail.

willy eckerslike said:
MrE said:
willy eckerslike said:
Is that forum run by a guy called Ric Toyner!!

I don't know who runs it, but I think it would be a good idea to set up sub forums for NYCFC and Melbourne City here (New boards) to allow the fans of these clubs to join in with the MCFC banter etc, this hopefully will help the fans develop the City mindset !!!!

I've set up an account on their forum under the same name - might be interesting to see the differences between them and us. Not sure they'll get the muffin/barm references, though.
thats because its a bagel in NY

its a Barm said:
willy eckerslike said:
MrE said:

thats because its a bagel in NY

Have you set up an account on nycfcforums as "its a bagel" yet? Go on, you know it makes sense.

No, I won't be following them. I wish them well but I think I can only ever support one team. I don't really understand people who have a team in several countries that they claim to support.

There's only one City!

Americans also know that NYCFC like MCFC are just a part of CFG.. Like in New York there are teams like Rangers, Knicks or Liberty that are just parts of the MSG Group so they don´t really feel that connection to some "other" team in another part of the world I guess.
You could also very well follow a MSG team like Knicks but chose to follow Islanders instead of Rangers just like a City fan in L.A will hardly support a NY team.

Falastur said:
MrE said:
Having been quite excited about the owners business plans, I thought I would check out NYCFC fan forums (its ironic that there is a fan forum for a team that hasn't kicked a ball yet lol)

The NYCFC "fans" seem to be determined that they are the number one club in the partnership and MCFC are an inconvenient irreverence.

I know what you're saying, but I think there might be an element of deliberate misreading there. There are a lot of people on that forum who think that NYCFC has the potential to grow to be the most important part of the CFG, and don't like the idea that the club exists simply to service MCFC. However, none of them are claiming that NYCFC is currently the biggest club of the group.

Loukas said:

It's because "Chivas" is a running joke in MLS. Mexican club Chivas Guadalajara bought an MLS franchise about 8 years ago and announced it was basically there to glorify the Mexican team, thinking that it would create a huge new market for Chivas Guadalajara fans in the huge Hispanic population of the USA. Instead, the club put off virtually everyone, and "boast" attendances which would make a League Two club embarrassed. The club has failed so badly that MLS just announced they are revoking the franchise rights. Now, any club who has too-close links to a foreign team are simply mocked for being "Chivas 2.0", and fans are so scarred by the experience that no-one is really willing to support a team who claims to be that.

On top of this, Americans simply don't want to follow a club which is a copy-cat version of another club, they want the team to be "their" team. Remember that the American psyche for sports is not that you follow the club you have family ties to, it's that you support your local team. Declaring a team to be a cheap imitation (or even an expensive imitation) of a foreign team strips away the "local" identity and makes it undesirable. There simply isn't a big enough City fanbase in NYC to make that premise work. I guarantee you, if NYCFC was marketed as "Manchester City USA" by the club, it would struggle to get attendances of 1,000 a game, and would collapse in a few years. There simply isn't the market for a Manchester City USA. If the club doesn't make strong efforts to be an individual club tied to MCFC but not a complete duplicate of it, then the club will fail.
Great post

Falastur said:
MrE said:

I do not think I am "deliberately" mis reading anything.
I see a club who are owned by MCFC and part of the City football group where the fans have not bought in to the City ethos. I see a club where a lot of the current interest is held by (mainly plastic) fans of other prem teams, trying to bring there beliefs of what those teams represent into the club. I understand the comments regarding the Mexican club and can agree with those, how we sell the City Brand is up to the club, but personally I do not want to know a club within the group where the fans long term alliance (all be it plastic) is with another EPL team. I do not want to hear Munich or Scouse songs being sang on the terraces populated by any city group fans. Yes its important to get the sale of the brand right, but that should be consistent, and not proclaiming a Chivas 2. Personally I do not want to be associated with a club which promotes the "spurs, munich, scouse" brands.... We already have the "factions" in New Jersey, Boston, etc (see there forums) how long till we have the Man United branch of NYCFC..... ITs wrong it needs correcting now

Nope. I live in the US these days, I'm from Manchester and there's only room in my heart for one. I'd probably watch the game on TV just like I would if I happened upon Rochdale or someone else playing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.