New York City FC Thread (new away kit P245)

As others are alluding to here, many Americans follow sports teams for different reasons, not having this tribalism link like we do over here, and some will follow NY islanders one week, then go watch NY rangers the next week.

We used to have this back in the day, with many family members of mine going to the swamp one week, then Maine Road the next week.
This has all changed since rivalries were formed.

Maybe as this nycfc becomes established, the yanks who have interest in other English clubs may stop supporting the Liverpools, chelskis etc and become more dedicated to nycfc.

Do they have to sing bluemoon and watch Manchester city every week? No.
Do they have to thank us? No.

But a small minority of their "fans" have shown no respect to our club and seem happy if we just vanish off the face of the earth.

I certainly won't be walking around wearing their shirts, or "jerseys" but I will be watching their matches as I have a big interest in our EDS.

If it means some 15yr old kid born and raised in Manchester getting more competitive game time by going over there and becoming a better player for it then great.

Who knows, some American kid might get established over there, and end up being a world star playing for MCFC :)

Works both ways.

northstander said:
i'll follow melbourne city fc instead, keeping the MCFC flag flying

I agree. I think if we mix everyone in together (NYC, Melbourne, Yokahoma, Shanghai, and more to follow presumably) then it's inclusive of all. Bondinathonafriendlisaurus Blue (as my son my say).

New Yorkers are famed for their civic pride - not to mention their superiority complex.
Anybody expecting the NYCFC fans to tug their forelock and act all deferential to Manchester (or any other city in the world) is going to be disappointed.
They'll be seeing MCFC as a partner and nothing more (possibly even as a junior partner!). Their only interest in us will be with regard as to how it benefits them and their club. So, I'd suggest that we can shelve any notions of 'hands across the ocean' style friendships and move along. They are a mechanism devised for the benefit of our owners and, by extension only MCFC also.
Good luck to them. Do I give a fuck about them, though? Christ, no.

mad4city said:
New Yorkers are famed for their civic pride - not to mention their superiority complex.
Anybody expecting the NYCFC fans to tug their forelock and act all deferential to Manchester (or any other city in the world) is going to be disappointed.
They'll be seeing MCFC as a partner and nothing more (possibly even as a junior partner!). Their only interest in us will be with regard as to how it benefits them and their club. So, I'd suggest that we can shelve any notions of 'hands across the ocean' style friendships and move along. They are a mechanism devised for the benefit of our owners and, by extension only MCFC also.

I can relate to your post, and would not want to deny them there civic pride in their local "soccer team" I can accept the superiority complex. Viewing MCFC as a partner, I can respect, and hopefully MCFC will get a financial gain from them but the quote from Uefas FFP statement doesnt fill me with hope on that
"Furthermore Manchester City agrees that revenues from the sale of assets within
their group structure will not be included in future break-even calculations."

I do not accept the anti MCFC stance adopted by the plastic supporters of other teams

Their forum doesn't seem that bad, there's a few gobshites but nothing major.

mad4city said:

Having visited The Big Apple on several occasions, I can relate to your point. However, we have the history and the vicarious "status" of having history will be a big draw towards an alignment with us over here.

That said, unless we draw them in a future world super cup tournament, I'm not arsed about them either.

Why do some City fans want to be so desperately liked by other teams? Why should NYCFC fans have some affinity for us? It will be their team in their city, I don't care if they get rags, Liverpool, Chelsea fans etc. supporting them. I hope NYCFC do well in the MLS because of the connection but I won't lose any sleep if they fail miserably either.

I can honestly see both sides. As a city supporter one would think they would want to avail themselves of our resources and foster a communal relationship between the supporters. As an American, non New Yorker, who will likely adopt the new club I can see their aversion to immediately being cast as the little brother meant to cower before the parent club.

In order for NYCFC to function as a sporting and financial entity it will require fans of every European/South American club. Not an ideal situation, admittedly, but a necessity. I can understand if they are reticent to adopt City songs, slogans, etc. It is and must a unique club.

With that said, I skimmed their boards and it does seem they are being incredibly righteous and defensive. I imagine is stems from their lot as the little brother club. Which they certainly are and will continue to be till long after I have lost the mental ability to follow football. As mentioned earlier, New Yorkers are unaccustomed to such a hierarchy.

If you want to follow them, and I will, then please do. Lets just stop the incessant debate if they are proper cunts or if City is properly appreciated. Who cares, either way a bunch of D bags who follow Arsenal or United on Saturday mornings will be wearing sky blue on Saturday nights in NYC.

It seems to me that on that forum the ones posting most often about creating their own identity are the muppets with rags, Liverpool and Chelsea badges on their profile. Not that it matters anyway, it'll be the club that decides the identity not some jumped up self appointed fanboys of a club that hasn't kicked a ball yet.

The ones who don't want any influence from city fans, are quite clearly acting like arseholes because they support another premier league team. It has nothing to do with them being worried about having no identity of their own. Plenty of scum/scouser plastics trying to put their influence on the club though...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.