Newcastle (A) | Wed 27th Sept | EFL Cup | Post Match Thread

Those who think Phillips is good enough need to give their head one fucking huge wobble.
He just is not able to do what’s needed here.
Another lack lustre display.
We’re fucked without Rodri.
Comparing nearly anyone in that position with Rodri is going to be the same conclusion. I don’t think we’re trying to find a like for like but just someone who can stand in or develop into something else. I agree he isn’t good enough so far (I also didn’t want to sign him either) but we’ve had plenty of players who struggled at first, including Gundogan and Rodri himself.

Let’s see if he can improve over the next few games.

He talks some bollocks! I was actually laughing when he said "Livramento hasn't put a foot wrong all game and he's been up against Grealish and Doku". Doku was literally only switched to the left moments before he said that comment and then Doku goes past him like he's not there.

Constantly going on like Newcastle are some sort of massive underdog on the night against a team that had no Ederson, Walker, Stones, Dias, Rodri, Bernardo, De Bruyne, Haaland

What a fucking clown.
Me and my lad burst out laughing when they put the graphic up to show Doku had the least touches in the second half

He’d been on the pitch about 2 minutes

An opportunity missed. Newcastle were there for the taking in the first half, but we lacked the creative quality in the middle to capitalise.

I've no idea why Gomez was used wide right. He was mostly ineffective until he was moved to the left. Bobb was our best player by a mile in the first half, & was our only creative force. He seriously impressed me early on which bodes well for his future.

Kovacic laboured in the middle trying to make things happen with some nice touches & ball retention, but unfortunately he was partnered by the hapless Philips who showed little to nothing all match.

Aside from a shot straight at Pope, Grealish too did little all match & we'd have been better if he was moved inside from the start, with Bobb wide right & Gomez wide left.

After Doku came on & was moved to the left, Newcastle had to double up on him which created space in the centre that we failed to capitalise on, as we lacked the deep lying creativity that Rodri affords us.

I know it's his first start in over a month, but as things stand Jack is gonna have to scrap for his place, because Doku clearly offers us an attacking danger & a jeopardy that Grealish doesn't.

Nunes offered midfield stability when he came on & tried to drive us forward. He's been a nice surprise since his arrival, but the difference with him partnering Rodri to Philips was stark.

Gvardiol acquited himself well in the first half, but he & the team completely lost composure in the second. We looked rudderless & leaderless. I mean who was even our captain after Aké came off?

As for the starting formation, it left me baffled, & for that Pep needs to take responsibility. It was evident Grealish out left & Gomez wide right wasn't working, & the change we needed wasn't made until it was far too late.

According to the commentator, that was a sixth City start for Philips, which resulted in his 4th defeat. It took me a year & Rodri's comments to reach the conclusion that he doesn't have a future here, but I honestly can't see a way forward for him at City.

Reports yesterday suggested Fulham made a late bid in the window for Kalvin before the Paulina to Bayern move broke down. We apparently accepted it, but Philips turned it down because he wanted to remain & fight for his place.

Tonight we saw life without Rodri & having to rely on Kalvin, & it's not good. I'll always support our players, but City come first & foremost. This defeat wasn't all down to Philips, & like I said I think the way the team were lined up was poor, & was only masked by a woeful Newcastle in the first half.

However, as soon as they came out fired up in the second, our weaknesses because of this unbalanced line up were cruelly exposed. Imo, Pep is the greatest manager in football & possibly the best ever, but I think he could have made more of the limited amount of players we had. We could & should have put the game to bed in the first half.

To be honest, if there was a match I had to pick to lose so far this season, it'd be this one. We've suffered fixture pile ups in the past because of this competition, & if our "second string" aren't good enough to make a dent in the Carabao Cup, then so be it.

It's something Pep & Txiki have to deal with in future, because tonight could feasibly have been a PL or CL match we had to negotiate because of the injuries & suspensions hitting us.

Fuck it. We're out of the CC, so let's do our very best to put it behind us & make up for it against Wolves. Roll on Saturday!

A win at wolves this Saturday, this will be all forgotten, As much as I love this cup it will from after next season be another EFL cup for premier league teams. Our players our playing 48 weeks a year which isn’t sustainable.
It’s where we are now. I’d rather be at Wembley in February for a final when most can get tickets and have a day out than playing in Saudi in December. Price of success probably.
Charity shield and the league cup are a distant memory now of Achievement.

Kalvin Phillips should be nowhere near the 1st team. It’s like playing with ten men when he plays. We have only beaten Bristol City when he has started and lost the rest bar 1 and that 1 we drew.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.