Newcastle (A) | Wed 27th Sept | EFL Cup | Post Match Thread

I fully appreciate the we have bigger fish to fry argument.......but its always disappointing to get beat when it comes about as a result of not competing well enough.

Far too many passengers last night,and a lack of leadership and aggression.

It was clear when Howe brought on the 2 subs that the tempo would massively change in their favour and yet we failed to respond and allowed them to bully us.

The drop off in quality and attitude is concerning when our main men are out,and while it wasnt as much of a shit show as last seasons exit......we never looked like a team that could or wanted to win.

The positives.......Bobb looks the part,and Gvardiol,Doku and Nunes are excellent first team additions.

Phillips is surely done now, he could make a decent career at a mid to bottom team such as Bournemouth or a team challenging in the championship but we need to put him behind us now before he becomes our Phil Jones
I can't work it out, he looks ok for England from the buts I've seen but when playing in a blue shirt can't even get in the right position on the pitch I spent much to much of the game shouting at the TV for him to be mobile and move into space or to the correct position when we didn't have the ball.

I'd just had my finger in the screen showing Mrs Moon where he should be when they scored and he was the wrong side of his man as he'd been 5 yards too far forward....I can't blame him alone for the loss but with Rodders, Bernie or even Stones in that role that goal wouldn't have happened.

We were a bit too " nice" last night. Great football, but a bit toothless. Newcastle got stuck in and we weren't up for it. Nunes and Doku gave us energy, but unfortunately Phillips just doesn't look a city player. I wouldn't be surprised if he is on the bench at Wolves.
Tv commentary was awful.

I can't work it out, he looks ok for England from the buts I've seen but when playing in a blue shirt can't even get in the right position on the pitch I spent much to much of the game shouting at the TV for him to be mobile and move into space or to the correct position when we didn't have the ball.

I'd just had my finger in the screen showing Mrs Moon where he should be when they scored and he was the wrong side of his man as he'd been 5 yards too far forward....I can't blame him alone for the loss but with Rodders, Bernie or even Stones in that role that goal wouldn't have happened.

We can't winning it even if we put those player in that match, we literally couldn't be arsed that's a major reason we losing. The moment we have those kind mentality before the match is the moment we are most likely going to lose.

Last edited:
So did I .. doesn’t alter the fact that the commentary was totally bizarre
Don’t forget, a 1-0 loss is classed as being ‘dumped’ out of the competition. Everything about the commentary of this game has been bizarre, almost makes me think that Sky know something that we don’t and they’re getting their punches in early.

Always seems to me that Phillips and rice, together, do the role that rodri does on his own. I was so surprised at rice going for the price he did, then. As well as city signing kalvin

Tbf, it seems like rice is doing okay for the arse. But rodri level? Nah. And clearly Phillips looks like he needs someone there to support him more... which, in city's system, ain't an option (at the elite level, pep needs players to do more)

"Harsh comparison, nobody is gonna be rodri level, blah blah blah"... fair enough. But if city want rodri's back up then someone with a more significant presence is required -- whether that be by covering more miles or being an intelligent player who knows where and when to be in the right places. Like it or not, the rodri role is a vital position in this system. And it does require someone way above average to manage it.

Might be difficult to find a player of that quality who is willing to play second fiddle to rodders

Kalvin doesn’t seem to play with belief. It’s like he has taken Pep’s ball retention policy much too literally - there is almost no risk (and hence attacking potential) to anything he does. At Leeds and in earlier England games he believed in himself and played naturally without thinking. If you watch him now you can almost hear the cogs turning in his brain. I am convinced there is a brilliant footballer in there, but not sure we are ever going to see it under Pep.
Not long after we signed him, I was at my daughter's graduation and one of her course friend's dad is a Leeds season ticket holder.
Over lunch we chatted about football and he said that he was very surprised City bought Phillips. He loved him as a player, but thought he was nowhere near City's level

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.